Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just bought an ipad 2....

Before anyone ask, yes I have a xoom and yes I'm keeping the xoom. I just wanted to play with it then I'm probably going to be gifting it to my mom because she has been talking about the ipad forever! Until then I will be doing some comparisons videos of the xoom vs ipad2

First impressions this thing is LIGHT! very light when compared to the heavy xoom. I have yet to boot this thing up because i have sync to itunes. I dont even have itunes on my pc and I actually hate itunes. I'm currently very reluctantly installing itunes.

be sure to check out my youtube channel (in my signature) I am currently uploading a unboxing video. I will soon have a comparison up.

*updated* 3/15th
    Hardware comparison:
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 03-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

When you get a chance, can you compare the cameras? I'm curious how they compare. Apple doesn't say what the mega pixals are on the rear facing camera.
    Thanks

How much ram is there?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Got the iPad 2 today. Using it now and this is my first iOS device. I had the Xoom and liked it a lot!! Lack of apps and me being impatient is what made me return it.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post
    Before anyone ask, yes I have a xoom and yes I'm keeping the xoom. I just wanted to play with it then I'm probably going to be gifting it to my mom because she has been talking about the ipad forever! Until then I will be doing some comparisons videos of the xoom vs ipad2

First impressions this thing is LIGHT! very light when compared to the heavy xoom. I have yet to boot this thing up because i have sync to itunes. I dont even have itunes on my pc and I actually hate itunes. I'm currently very reluctantly installing itunes.

be sure to check out my youtube channel (in my signature) I am currently uploading a unboxing video. I will soon have a comparison up.
    Thanks, I'm a fan of your unboxing videos! (though I wont watch the ipad one lol). I think it will be good to have a non-fanboy non-troll do somethielike this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Nchaka View Post
    When you get a chance, can you compare the cameras? I'm curious how they compare. Apple doesn't say what the mega pixals are on the rear facing camera.
    Thanks
    Yeah will do I can do that! Let me know what else you'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Thanks, I'm a fan of your unboxing videos! (though I wont watch the ipad one lol). I think it will be good to have a non-fanboy non-troll do somethielike this.
    Thanks I have a lot more in store. I'll make this the most unbiased as I can be!

I bought too. For what I plan to use it for Inreally like it. The form is excellent and it's quite fast.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Thanks
    The rear facing camera is less then 1 megapixel. I think it is .7 to be exact. That is no BS. FYI the RAM is 512.

Yeah those cameras are a joke.... however, with the time I have had with tablets, taking pictures with them is a little awkward.

Considering that Apple prides themselves on quality though, they surely skimped on the cameras (and possible the speaker too).

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Yeah those cameras are a joke.... however, with the time I have had with tablets, taking pictures with them is a little awkward.

Considering that Apple prides themselves on quality though, they surely skimped on the cameras (and possible the speaker too).
    Fwiw, the speaker on the iPad 2 isn't bad at all. Xoom is a bit better though.
    Thanked by:

Thanks Oldesk, thats nice to know...

I look forward to your comparisons as well.

Like I said in another thread, as a Xoom user and android user (my wife and I both have Evo's, my son has an Optimus), and also ipad 2, I wish I could blog somewhere to document my experience without any flak. This too is my first apple product.

Will you have more videos tonight?
    Last edited by slopokdave; 03-11-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    FFR

Global Posts
    1,237 Global Posts

Thanks Oldesk, thats nice to know...

I look forward to your comparisons as well.

Like I said in another thread, as a Xoom user and android user (my wife and I both have Evo's, my son has an Optimus), and also ipad 2, I wish I could blog somewhere to document my experience without any flak. This too is my first apple product.

Will you have more videos tonight?
    why don't you post here

Quote Originally Posted by FFR View Post
    why don't you post here
    I'm not sure if you are referring to the forum? Or this thread? If its the forum you meant, I don't really think it's appropriate since it is a Xoom forum.

But it may be okay to post thoughts and impressions in the thread. Not to steal from the OP or anything. I'm sure his comparison by video will be very good though. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    How much ram is there?
    The Ram is 512.. I just picked mine up not to long ago.. Will be getting a zoom in a few days to compare.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Evo 4g-----> iphone 4s-----> Galaxy S3

Thanks
    Wired Magazine said both cameras are around 1 MP.

I tried two Apple Stores, 4 Best Buys and two Walmarts before I have up. I've had an iPad 1 for a year and plan to get the iPad 2. There are just too many apps I am attached to. But I intend to keep on Xooming, cause Android is where its at!!!

As a former iPad user this Xoom is pretty damn sweet. I had an Evo for a couple of months before switching jobs and turning it in. I love Google's voice integration and this thing feels very fast at everything so far. I'm sure the iPad 2 is faster as well, but have to admit I was a bit hesitant. The speaks are impressive in terms of volume and the browser is very nice. I don't play many games so the key things for me are web, email, Slingplayer which works awsome and news apps.

While my personal phone is a JB iPhone ill use it as a hotspot unrptil LTE shows up and I upgrade the Xoom. The camera on the Xoom is very nice and good quality, as the I pads camera seemed grainy. I don't care about megapixels over quality, but Apple dropped the ball there for sure.

I look forward to more reviews and hope to learn more about Android OS, not to mention pretty excited to see flash coming so soon. Its not that I live flash, but I do love mupy Hulu, although they will probably block it

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Any idea if you can do video chat with skype? I fear that the Xoom may never get video chatting thru skype. Google chat is nice but I know far more people that use Skype.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

I'll be waiting for the comparison vids, cause I'm probably either getting a xoom or ipad 2

That's because they used the same cameras that are in the iPod touch. That's how Apple can price these units at an affordable price point, they use basically the same hardware across all their products which is not a bad thing from a manufacturing point at all.
    Thanked by:
    garuda 

Quote Originally Posted by gshocker View Post
    Any idea if you can do video chat with skype? I fear that the Xoom may never get video chatting thru skype. Google chat is nice but I know far more people that use Skype.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    But Google Chat can be used on virtually all platforms and actually works better than Skype IMHO. I used Google chat on my Xoom to someone on a MAC, after they installed a small plug in that you are prompted to install to use Video, the video was smooth and the voice was in synch, no choppiness.

The only gripe I have is that you have to hide the video window in Google chat to type to someone.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

ipad2 ipad1 one speaker mono sound. xoom two speakers stereo sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeST View Post
    Fwiw, the speaker on the iPad 2 isn't bad at all. Xoom is a bit better though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    That's because they used the same cameras that are in the iPod touch. That's how Apple can price these units at an affordable price point, they use basically the same hardware across all their products which is not a bad thing from a manufacturing point at all.
    I think you are onto something. The entry unit is probably very low margin. But drop some memory in it and the price really rises, as does the margin. But, the real margin is in the accessories. $40-60 for the iPad2 cover? Wired estimates Apple will make $200+ M profit from the covers alone.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Thanks for the continued interest I'm planning on making the video after I get some more time with the iPad 2. So check back with me on Sunday (13th) or Monday (14th).

The browser isn't all that great I do miss my tab browsing. Camera isn't all that great but I kind of love the fixed focused makes taking pictures lighting fast.

Again I need some ideas to what you guys want to see in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post

Cool video. Watched several of your Xoom vids... nice stuff. Keep up the great work.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast