help...shut down xoom and now it won't boot...

hackR

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
was using my Xoom tonight and shut it down - it was running fine...battery was 70% or so...

i picked it up an hour later and held the buttom to boot it...nothing...it simply will not boot...

i plugged it into an outlet to charge it...light turned green...unplugged it, but it still will not boot...tried booting it when it was plugged in, too...nothing...

any ideas?...

thanks...

Ravr#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
How long did you plug it in for? When I first got mine I had the same issue, then charged it overnight fully. Never another issue in that regard.

hackR

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
@Frightknight --> thanks...that did it...

wow - any idea what caused the unit to "lock" like that so it couldn't boot normal?...

i literally used the Xoom, and then held the power button down to turn it off...which it did...and then an hour later i tried to turn it on and it wouldn't boot at all...why would it get stuck like this?...is this a known problem?...

any info is helpful...but the volume up button and power button held together for 3 seconds booted it...for that, i'm thankful...and saved me a trip to the local VZW store...

is there also a post on how to find out the various hidden capabilities like this fix?...i know the volume down and power begins a hard reset...are there others?...

thanks...R

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Holding the volume up and power key is a soft reset as it doesn't delete anything. I have had the can't turn on thing happen to me twice since I have had mine. I don't know what causes it but I have seen it with all devices that have built in batteries such as the iPhone and ipad. Because the battery can't be pulled out to correct whatever happened you have to hold a combo of keys to reset the device.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
@Frightknight --> thanks...that did it...

wow - any idea what caused the unit to "lock" like that so it couldn't boot normal?...

i literally used the Xoom, and then held the power button down to turn it off...which it did...and then an hour later i tried to turn it on and it wouldn't boot at all...why would it get stuck like this?...is this a known problem?...

any info is helpful...but the volume up button and power button held together for 3 seconds booted it...for that, i'm thankful...and saved me a trip to the local VZW store...

is there also a post on how to find out the various hidden capabilities like this fix?...i know the volume down and power begins a hard reset...are there others?...

thanks...R

Any number of things can cause this but I am leaning towards it being an app that is causing it. A few coworkers have an iPhone 4 and have had the same exact problem. Phone shut down and would not power on. They had to hold the "home" key and power button at the same time to soft boot their iphone. This problem plagues every single "smart" device.

Octoberman31

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
My xoom will not turn on at all. I have charged the battery on my dock, I have tried the hard reset...I get nothing!!! I am no longer under warranty, so a return is out of the question. I have gone to every website I can find to figure out how to get this thing to start. Does anyone have any suggestions other than taking to some tech and pay up the nose to have it checked?

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My xoom will not turn on at all. I have charged the battery on my dock, I have tried the hard reset...I get nothing!!! I am no longer under warranty, so a return is out of the question. I have gone to every website I can find to figure out how to get this thing to start. Does anyone have any suggestions other than taking to some tech and pay up the nose to have it checked?

take the back cover off and disconnect the battery....

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue last week.. I had to remove my memory card and it booted fine.. This was after 3 hours of trying.. Even the power+vol up wouldnt work..

ram3

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Xoom started exhibiting this same behaviour after the ICS update. It's doing it constantly. I've tried a hard reset and rebuilding from scratch, but it still occurs. I've also found that it drains the battery while it's locked up like this. I'm leaning toward it being some application, but I've uninstalled everything that's not included with the system build. Extremely annoying...

mohedano

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Similar problem. When mine turns off (after pressing the power button or screen time out) it completely shuts down. I need to perform the full start-up (from the big "M" and all the pretty ice crystals). This takes too long to perform every time. It has a full charge and got the ICS update recently. This may have somehow be related to the ICS update but I dont know. Both hard and soft resets work but again I have to do that every time the machine turns off.

Would appreciate any help.

tedjrr

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a very similar problem, sorry I can't assist with the issue above - but add to it.

Motorola XOOM on Android 3.2 (the same problem occurred in the same way on 3.1 as well).

This usually happens when the battery is (very) low, but has happened a few times when the unit was fully charged. Power-on produces the "M" symbol, but this does not clear to the crystals, or the equivalent on 3.2. Yo can't power the unit-off, using power+vol_up causes an apparent boot, but to the same condition. The only remedy appears to be to let the battery drain, and then fully charge the unit.

Does anyone know, is the any way to force a power-cycle?

Thanks and regards /Ed

4family2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank You a Million Times Thank You. This worked perfect Easy and Fast. After many times this happening and not rebooting I would have to let it sit for days before I could it to come on.

summertime12123

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
was using my Xoom tonight and shut it down - it was running fine...battery was 70% or so...

i picked it up an hour later and held the buttom to boot it...nothing...it simply will not boot...

i plugged it into an outlet to charge it...light turned green...unplugged it, but it still will not boot...tried booting it when it was plugged in, too...nothing...

any ideas?...

thanks...

summertime12123

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I let my XOOM 3.0 charge fully overnight. The light was green the next morning.. I hit the reboot buttons, the volume up and power button, the reboot started, the M , then I hit the volume down . It was then the real reboot began where you get, i will call it a pulsating wave around the M and restarted the tablet. It might have been in the process of restarting before I hit the volume down button, its hard to tell, but it began working. I was 2 full days trying to get this tablet to restart. Thank god its working again. But I will do a back up on the Mac, just in case this happens again and I have to do the factory reset to start it up. I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden, never had a problem until just recently. The tablet is 3 years old now.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Nothing like bringing an old thread back from the dead. My Xoom won't boot past the big M screen (see attached).

Initially, it wouldn't wake up. It had been sitting on the dock for a few days and was fully charged. So I tried the volume up + power to reboot. It went to the attached screen. No matter what I did it would always come back to that. I let the battery die and fully charged it. Hit power, and it went to that screen. If I hit volume down just after the screen comes on, I get a message about fastboot being enabled. I can't even turn it off now without letting the battery die. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1414365371075.jpg
    1414365371075.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5