1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Steinheil Screen Protectors Available

Update: I changed the icon to thumbs down due to other experiences w/ it and my own in this thread.
    Last edited by Necrocis; 03-19-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Sweet! This is what I've been waiting on.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

How do these compare to like the Skinomi/Zagg style protectors? I'm more of a traditionalist myself..

OK what am I missing here? Are these really that much better than the Zagg or Skinomi protectors?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joereist View Post
    OK what am I missing here? Are these really that much better than the Zagg or Skinomi protectors?
    From just reading a bit, it seems like it'll give you a glass like feeling of protection, whereas the Zagg/Skinomi are kind of rubbery feeling.

I'm eying that anti-fingerprint one, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

I've been so back & forth with the Skinomi one and I know BoxWave has one coming out on the 14th and I've always like that brand from back in my WinMo days.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've owned both and really the only difference is Steinheil is a non-solution protector.

Other than providing an "anti-fingerprint" surface, which I would love to have, is there really a need for anti-scratch protection on the Xoom? I thought the glass was Gorilla glass, the same material as on the OG Droid. I've had my OG Droid since it came out and never put a protector on the screen, have dropped it, carried it in my pocket with keys, and have never seen a scratch on the glass. It's as good as it was on Day 1.

So ... was I wrong about the type of glass the Moto Xoom uses? It's not Gorilla Glass?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    From just reading a bit, it seems like it'll give you a glass like feeling of protection, whereas the Zagg/Skinomi are kind of rubbery feeling.

I'm eying that anti-fingerprint one, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

I've been so back & forth with the Skinomi one and I know BoxWave has one coming out on the 14th and I've always like that brand from back in my WinMo days.
    I've heard that the anti fingerprint ones aren't all that clear. The crystal clear ones are the way to go IMO. You wont even know its there. I had ZAGG on my DX and it was good and all that but kinda rubbery and grippy. Switched to SGP Crystal Clear and was thoroughly impressed. I'm just thinking its gonna be a pain in the *** to put it on such a big screen.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2u View Post
    Other than providing an "anti-fingerprint" surface, which I would love to have, is there really a need for anti-scratch protection on the Xoom? I thought the glass was Gorilla glass, the same material as on the OG Droid. I've had my OG Droid since it came out and never put a protector on the screen, have dropped it, carried it in my pocket with keys, and have never seen a scratch on the glass. It's as good as it was on Day 1.

So ... was I wrong about the type of glass the Moto Xoom uses? It's not Gorilla Glass?
    I don't know if it's Gorilla or not. I just like having the added protection.

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    I've heard that the anti fingerprint ones aren't all that clear. The crystal clear ones are the way to go IMO. You wont even know its there. I had ZAGG on my DX and it was good and all that but kinda rubbery and grippy. Switched to SGP Crystal Clear and was thoroughly impressed. I'm just thinking its gonna be a pain in the *** to put it on such a big screen.
    I had an anti-fingerprint Steinheil on my Storm2. It wasn't quite as clear but clear enough for it's intended function. I had a Zagg on my OG Droid that I installed myself. After a couple months the rubber feel wore off. I am nervous about installing a solution based protector on such an expensive device.

I purchased a cheap screen protector off EBay that included a gel case for $12.99. The case is fine but the protector was so thin it wrinkled during installation. I hope the Steinheil is thicker to allow easier installation. Thus far my experience has been they are thicker.
    TFT

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Boxwave just announced their anti-glare and crystal clear screen protectors for the Xoom. I use the crystal protectors on all my phones and my dSLRs. They are very thick and can be removed, cleaned, and reapplied.

The only requirement for these I have is a high % screen coverage. I have had this and zagg on my Dx and I liked the steins feel much more. But zagg protection felt superior.

Has anybody used the anti-glare versions? I would love less glar but I don't want to spend 20 bucks for a fuzzy screen

let me tell ya. im so glad there is a steinheil for the xoom. it is far superior to others if ur into the most natural feel and wipes off very well. crystal clear steinheil. just like touching gorilla glass.

I got mine and it is defective. Essentially has a scratch on the inside

I emailed SGP and get this. They say I have to send it back then in 4 - 6 weeks they will send a replacement.

4 to 6 weeks are you kidding me. When questioned it they told me they have to get it return it to the manufacturer let them look at it and then send another one.

I will never buy from this company again.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by faith4more View Post
    I got mine and it is defective. Essentially has a scratch on the inside

I emailed SGP and get this. They say I have to send it back then in 4 - 6 weeks they will send a replacement.

4 to 6 weeks are you kidding me. When questioned it they told me they have to get it return it to the manufacturer let them look at it and then send another one.

I will never buy from this company again.
    Man I wish I read this first, I just ordered mine. I got the anti-fingerprint one. I hope it works out.

That's ridiculous, 4- 6 weeks.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Just got mine delivered here at work and it looks not to be awesome. :/ There's only a protective cover on one side of the protector and it looks like it has little nicks in it or something. I'm going to have inspect it with the LED light on my Evo in a few minutes.

If it does have defects and you want to return it they will tell you after you send it back they will send you another one in 4 to 6 weeks. Just tell them you will charge it back to your credit if they won't send them one immediately. I screamed a bit and they complied. Should not have to resort to threats but at least it worked. I will not buy from them again though because I feel like they were playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Just got mine delivered here at work and it looks not to be awesome. :/ There's only a protective cover on one side of the protector and it looks like it has little nicks in it or something. I'm going to have inspect it with the LED light on my Evo in a few minutes.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by faith4more View Post
    If it does have defects and you want to return it they will tell you after you send it back they will send you another one in 4 to 6 weeks. Just tell them you will charge it back to your credit if they won't send them one immediately. I screamed a bit and they complied. Should not have to resort to threats but at least it worked. I will not buy from them again though because I feel like they were playing games.
    Is your new one OK?

Mine came in today and it has two creases in it at the bottom that are bubbled up and I can't get it flat. I am going to call them tomorrow.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

No creases, bubbles, scratches on mine. However, apparently the protection tabs to remove the protective layers were swapped. I ended up installing it wrong side up because of this. So basically $28 down the toilet for this kind of money there should of been two. This is my fourth and final Steinheil purchase.

Update: I'm just going w/ a like I did w/ my Nook Color. If the screen is covered that is all I care about since I'm very careful as it is.

Update 1: Did some research and found these:

So I pulled the trigger. It seems folks say they're just like the higher priced name brands.
    Last edited by Necrocis; 03-19-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Updating

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocis View Post
    No creases, bubbles, scratches on mine. However, apparently the protection tabs to remove the protective layers were swapped. I ended up installing it wrong side up because of this. So basically $28 down the toilet for this kind of money there should of been two. This is my fourth and final Steinheil purchase.

Update: I'm just going w/ a like I did w/ my Nook Color. If the screen is covered that is all I care about since I'm very careful as it is.

So I pulled the trigger. It seems folks say they're just like the higher priced name brands.
    Nice find! Ordered a set, thx!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocis View Post

Hmm, the one I got only came with one protective cover.