Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pulse App affected by 3.0.1 Upgrade (?)

PROBLEM RESOLVED! The great team at Pulse acted quickly and pushed an update to the Market today, Monday 3/14/2011...

Original Message follows:

I received the 3.0.1 update overnight and installed it this morning, and I think it's affecting how Pulse behaves. Can anyone else tell me if they see what I'm seeing?

Before today, when I used Pulse in landscape mode on my Xoom I could touch a headline in any feed and the display would adjust to display the article on the right half of the screen and leave the feeds on the left. If I rotated the Xoom to portrait, the story would move to full screen with the current feed taking up one row on the bottom.

As of today, following the 3.0.1 update, Pulse no longer displays the side-by-side view of the feeds plus the current article when I'm in landscape mode. Instead, it's like I'm in portrait mode at all times.

Can anyone else with 3.0.1 see if Pulse still shows the side-by-side feed/article view in landscape mode? Is there some setting that can restore it?

Thanks...
    Last edited by Drew2u; 03-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.

I got the update and am having the same issue with Pulse.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for confirming it.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Same thing here. I read about on another thread as well. Seems to have effected everyone.

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts

yep, same here.. kinda sucks.

Ya not sure if I like the new way pulse lists things I am reading or I liked the old way better... question is this a pulse update or is it strictly the 3.0.1 update that did this? Does anyone else have there apps to auto update like I do?

Even though we know it has affected everyone, I'll just post here to say I liked the old way better (with the right half showing the article)....just in case the Pulse makers see this.

I notice the change as well but I like the change.

Thanks
    Robert

I got the update early this morning but didn't realize the issue with Pulse until I read this thread. I suppose I haven't used it much today in landscape mode like I usually do!

So yes, like others, I am having the same issue. Bummer!

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I reported this yesterday to Pulse through their Feedback system at "getsatisfaction.com" and an employee responded today:

"Cristina Cordova, Employee, replied 7 hours ago
    Yes, this had to do with the honeycomb update we made. We will be fixing this in the next update shortly! Stay tuned!"

Here's the link to the report I submitted: Pulse landscape mode broken on Xoom Honeycomb 3.0.1

Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rmiddle View Post
    I notice the change as well but I like the change.

Thanks
    Robert

I like the change as well. More screen to read on is better.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

It's certainly a personal preference regarding the layout, but if I want to see more of the article, I just rotate to portrait mode! This gives me the best of both worlds: fast navigation and skimming in landscape with the side-by-side view, and full-screen reading in portrait mode, which shows the most text.

Perhaps when Pulse restores the previous landscape layout they will provide a setting to permit users to choose how news feeds and articles are presented in landscape mode.

The way Pulse originally displayed on the Zoom was a departure from the way it displayed on the G2. I wonder if the update allows Pulse to display as it was originally intended by the developer.

I wonder if the layout checks your OS version number on open and it doesn't recognize 3.0.1 so it defaults to the phone layout.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post
    The way Pulse originally displayed on the Zoom was a departure from the way it displayed on the G2. I wonder if the update allows Pulse to display as it was originally intended by the developer.

The Pulse employee responded that they were going to fix it, so I think the previous layout that used fragments to display feeds and the article side by side was the intended design for Honeycomb tablets.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by mfriedman79 View Post
    I wonder if the layout checks your OS version number on open and it doesn't recognize 3.0.1 so it defaults to the phone layout.
    That was my thought...

Smile Fix released

Hello,

This is Jean from Pulse. We released a fix last night for this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for bringing to our attention!

Thanks,
    Jean
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeanhsu View Post
    Hello,

This is Jean from Pulse. We released a fix last night for this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for bringing to our attention!

Thanks,
    Jean
    Working great now. Thanks!
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

ROM
    3.0.8-gda6252b

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    Working great now. Thanks!
    Yeah, I saw the update to pulse last night too on my N1. Good luck to you XOOM 3g/4g users. I am waiting for the wifi version to drop on 3/27.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by jeanhsu View Post
    Hello,

Thanks,
    Jean
    Thanks for such a quick response! It's working great again!

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Glad to see it is back to the usual way of displaying articles. Thanks for the quick turn around on that one.

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts

Great to see a company acknowledge the issue and push out a fix so quickly.. +1 to Pulse.