Just tried out XOOM at Best Buy

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep it short and sweet:
Just played with a XOOM at Best Buy, loved every bit of the OS I could try out, but that's not where I wanna go into detail.

When i first picked it up, the touch screen was totally unresponsive for a good 10 seconds, then when it finally unlocked it lagged pretty bad. i did a quick reboot, hoping this was the issue. After loading it up it was fine (and i was loving the Honeycomb goodness, but every few minutes it would just become totally unresponsive.

Has anyone else had this happen? I kept assuring my brother, who was with me, that it was probably just a buggy store model which has been used all day.

Side note: Best Buy isn't going to sell anything buy keeping them near the netbooks, they need to be right next to the iPad so people can see them going head to head!

chaguewood

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Just played with a XOOM at Best Buy, loved every bit of the OS I could try out, but that's not where I wanna go into detail.

When i first picked it up, the touch screen was totally unresponsive for a good 10 seconds, then when it finally unlocked it lagged pretty bad. i did a quick reboot, hoping this was the issue. After loading it up it was fine (and i was loving the Honeycomb goodness, but every few minutes it would just become totally unresponsive.

Has anyone else had this happen? I kept assuring my brother, who was with me, that it was probably just a buggy store model which has been used all day.

Side note: Best Buy isn't going to sell anything buy keeping them near the netbooks, they need to be right next to the iPad so people can see them going head to head!

I think the store models just get ruined. I order mine online and while I was waiting a week I went to Verizon to play with one and it was horrible. My xoom is just fine. There are some bugs in honeycomb and the xoom can lag at times but I can't wait for it to be fully functional and for tablet software to get optimized like it is on my evo

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Probably just the demo model. Mine runs pretty smooth and I think there are a couple posts about how after the last update it's running smoother.

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Definitely just a busted store model, the store models i have played with had the same things going on, its because people are destructive

Btw, you're totally right about the netbook thing. Its totally BS that all the other tabs are in the mobile sections, the iPad gets its own section and then the XOOM is located next to some crappy HP netbook.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Btw, you're totally right about the netbook thing. Its totally BS that all the other tabs are in the mobile sections, the iPad gets its own section and then the XOOM is located next to some crappy HP netbook.

Yea, I instinctively looked around the Galaxy Tabs and Dell Streaks and didn't see it so I assumed there was no model on display. I went by the netbooks just as a last resort and it was all the way at the end of the aisle with barely even a sign by it saying what it was.

Meanwhile, the iPad 2 has an entire display for it and I had to wait on a line just to take it for a spin. But I did et a solid 20 minutes with the tablet without so much as a "can I help you?" from the sales staff.

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I instinctively looked around the Galaxy Tabs and Dell Streaks and didn't see it so I assumed there was no model on display. I went by the netbooks just as a last resort and it was all the way at the end of the aisle with barely even a sign by it saying what it was.

Meanwhile, the iPad 2 has an entire display for it and I had to wait on a line just to take it for a spin. But I did et a solid 20 minutes with the tablet without so much as a "can I help you?" from the sales staff.

Yeah its really crazy, I'm sure apple pays to have their stuff displayed up front and what not, whereas Motorola probably didn't so they just slung it at the end of the row since its was easy that way.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My Xoom totally rocks and I have yet to experience any sort of a bug or performance issue.

I bought mine at Best Buy in Indy. They had it displayed in the mobile section, but told me to go talk with the computer people... then the computer people told me to go talk to the mobile guys... instead I went for the store manager and got taken care of. :)

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Store demo models are always laggy. Maybe because people who touch them are born with feet in place where their hands should be, or maybe stores like to put crap on it that doesn't belong there.

Before getting mine, I went to VZW store, and it was slow as hell. Few days later bought one at BB and so far it didn't show any sign of slowing down. It's fast.

calz

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was asking myself the same thing, Y would the Xoom be hidden next to the netbooks? Its like saying O hey the xoom is here I'm interested in buying it but wait I can get 3 netbooks for the price of 1 xoom? They have a section for the galaxy tab n all the other android tablets n the ipad but the xoom is near the netbooks? But I as well found the xoom unresponsive, but my friends xoom is incredible, n fast. Waiting for the wifi only to come out for $600 n I am going to buy it.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

preViously

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The stores should have demo data on the Xoom for display. Demo videos, pictures, fake gmail account setup, fake contacts, etc.

Currently, you can not see how the email client works, contact manager, see any photos or videos that are decent (except those taken of shelf by BB customers). The lack of this makes the experience on the Xoom low at the store. Imagine having demo data similar to that found on the iPad.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The stores should have demo data on the Xoom for display. Demo videos, pictures, fake gmail account setup, fake contacts, etc.

Currently, you can not see how the email client works, contact manager, see any photos or videos that are decent (except those taken of shelf by BB customers). The lack of this makes the experience on the Xoom low at the store. Imagine having demo data similar to that found on the iPad.

My best buy had it on their wifi. Though they should make a fake email account and whatnot to show off other features. I actually did that for the one where I'm at here in charlottesville.

Blow it up.

fakemailbestbuy@gmail.com

I think that was it. It's been a few weeks. I set it up just so I could use everything.

blueselvedge

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i tested the first xoom in best buy and it was very laggy. had a feelung it was because of the demo model. tested out my friend's xoom and ot was a night and day difference

bpark42

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I had this exact issue with the Xoom I bought at Best Buy on release day. The issue was present even after a factory reset. I exchanged it without any hassle. The new one has not any issues with responsiveness (or anything else, for that matter.)

xzigraz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I played with one and it was very smooth. Maybe people in my town respect technology more than else where. I even added an google account on it so I can download angry bird and other software on it. The connection was terrible at Best Buy so I tethered it to my N1 and the speed is a little bit better.

Also the XOOM is hiding from the public view. I see other tables have a different display table near the mobile signup area, iPad gets its own aisle display stand. So we know that Moto is definitely not putting enough money out to promote this product. What's going on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21