Can the ipad 2 do anything that the Xoom can't?

Maddingo

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not looking to get into the whole debate over ipad and Xoom or fuel a platform war. I am just wondering if the ipad 2 can do anything that the Xoom can't? (Or vice versa, other than Flash and SD expansion)

Thanks.

Mike

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, the iPad currently has apps that the Xoom doesn't have -- and in that way can do things the Xoom can't. Netflix comes to mind.

However, the Xoom probably has potential for more innovative apps in the long run. In a year and a half, the app functionality may be close to equal that of the iPad. After that, you may see original Android apps and games ported to the iPad--instead of the other way around.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, the iPad currently has apps that the Xoom doesn't have -- and in that way can do things the Xoom can't. Netflix comes to mind.

Yeah, but that knife cuts both ways. The Google apps are amazing. The integration goes way beyond running a Google app on iOS. The integration of Google Voice, Navigation, etc... There's simply nothing like it on iPad.

XOOM will get Netflix eventually and Hulu has already announced.

On the other hand, it's highly unlikely we'll see the fully integrated Google app experience on an iPad.

However, the Xoom probably has potential for more innovative apps in the long run. In a year and a half, the app functionality may be close to equal that of the iPad. After that, you may see original Android apps and games ported to the iPad--instead of the other way around.

The "a year and a half" comment made me smile. I remember when I converted from iPhone to the HTC Incredible last April. I was reading all about it and the most optimistic of the prognosticators was saying Android would overtake iOS in market share in about "a year and a half". Eight months later, Android officially overtook iOS in the market.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Android will dominate simply because people have so many choices in the hardware, and it's so customizable (spelling?). It is like Windows vs OSX. OSX will never be as wide spread as a Windows because it is only available on Apple hardware (amongst other reasons).

It will happen fast, and I'm glad to be along for the ride...

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
An actual list

I pad 2 can

stream netflix and hulu.
Has more apps
Mono speaker
Can charge through usb

The Xoom can

Multitask
Apps are being developed every day
including netflix and hulu are being worked on
Expandable memory
4g
Run widgets
Notifications
Hdmi with no dock
Has flash and html5
Barometer
Stereo speakers
Requires special plug for charging (and yes I know the I pad charges using a special power cord that outputs a higher amp and watagevthan the USB 5v) so I don't want to get flamed for saying this just stating facts

There are obvious differences in software. And the screen res. Oh and both have camera the ones on the zoom are better.

I will update this list on both sides if i can think of anything else.

Last edited:

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but that knife cuts both ways. The Google apps are amazing. The integration goes way beyond running a Google app on iOS. The integration of Google Voice, Navigation, etc... There's simply nothing like it on iPad.

XOOM will get Netflix eventually and Hulu has already announced.

On the other hand, it's highly unlikely we'll see the fully integrated Google app experience on an iPad.

The Google apps on the Xoom are fantastic and make the iPad versions look primitive. But *currently* the sheer number of apps available for the iPad creates increased functionality *now*. However, its exciting to know that the openness of Android will likely produce apps that are very useful and unique but which aren't allowed on iOS.

The "a year and a half" comment made me smile. I remember when I converted from iPhone to the HTC Incredible last April. I was reading all about it and the most optimistic of the prognosticators was saying Android would overtake iOS in market share in about "a year and a half". Eight months later, Android officially overtook iOS in the market.

We're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about the number of apps available for each platform and you are talking about the Android platform overtaking iOS on phones.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't call charging the ipad over usb a perk. It takes like 3 days to get a full charge that way lol. Like putting old double A's in the refridgerator.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am still very worried the Xoom and other Tegra 2 powered devices will not get Netflix... very sad when I heard that it is only coming to dual core Qualcomm processors. Nexus S already feels outdated :-(

Sent from my Nexus S

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Wait. XOOM memory is expandable? Really?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Yes there is a place for an SD card on the top, but you have to wait for the software update before you can use it. I am fine with the 32 Gigs at the moment but will probably slep a 32 Gig in when the time comes.

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a place for an SD card on the top, but you have to wait for the software update before you can use it. I am fine with the 32 Gigs at the moment but will probably slep a 32 Gig in when the time comes.

Memory and storage are 2 different things.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Google apps on the Xoom are fantastic and make the iPad versions look primitive. But *currently* the sheer number of apps available for the iPad creates increased functionality *now*. However, its exciting to know that the openness of Android will likely produce apps that are very useful and unique but which aren't allowed on iOS.
This depends on usage. I use my XOOM mostly to replace my laptop. The Google apps are essential as well as e-mails (exchange and POP), browsing, creating/editing docs / spreadsheets / presentations. The contact manager is also fantastic, allowing me to sort contacts into multiple custom types for better management. The only thing I'd like to see now is a tiered contact list in which I can list a company name in a field called "accounts" and have nested lists of contacts under it, like "senior management", "engineering", purchasing", "component engineering", etc...

I also write code. Compile, simulation and debug are done remotely on my desktop, using PocketCloud.

For me, any minor and temporary limitations are more than made up for with the benefits XOOM/Google offers.

We're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about the number of apps available for each platform and you are talking about the Android platform overtaking iOS on phones.
Not really. I'm drawing a parallel between what was said about the market numbers last year and what you are saying about app count this year. Watch the app count. I'll bet it reaches parity in half the time you predict.

That being said, many of us are not interested in how many games/puzzles we can play or streaming episodes of "Friends". Many of us have what we need already, so app count is meaningless.

admorris#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
You can use iPad for days on end with no forecloses or lockups...obviously considerably more apps optimized for tablet...the rest have been mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781