Can't change gmail password?!? Really??

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Had to change my gmail password, and I cannot figure out how to make the change on the Xoom!!! On my Droid phone I was able to change it in Market, but on the Xoom the market just keeps prompting me to re-enter password. Do I have to factory reset just to change my gmail password??? And will I lose all my apps when I do that?

Cat

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Try going under settings, then to Accounts & Sync. Under Manage Accounts, click on your gmail account. At the upper right there is "Remove Account". Try that. I haven't tested it myself and I don't know if there's a better way, but it should work.

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, duh

Ok, I'm dumb but figure it out. In case anyone else encounters this, the trick is to click the triangle exclamation mark in the notification bar. It prompts for the new password.

eta: This doesn't require removing and re-adding the account. They should really make a password change option in the Accounts and Synch menu, in all the Android versions.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm dumb but figure it out. In case anyone else encounters this, the trick is to click the triangle exclamation mark in the notification bar. It prompts for the new password.

eta: This doesn't require removing and re-adding the account. They should really make a password change option in the Accounts and Synch menu, in all the Android versions.

It is probably that way for security reasons. If someone got root access to your lost or stolen device they could read your existing gmail password and then change it and you'd be out of your account entirely.

luckyb52

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
catherinearagon,

I owe you a debt of gratitude.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 2. I had my Google account authenticated on it.

I had to change my Google password for security reasons. To change my Google password on my phone, it was looking like I had to do a factory reset and set up the account again. This would mean reloading my contacts, memos and multimedia, a time-consuming and laborious process.

Your tip about clicking on the triangle saved me all that work. Thank you so much!

sticks220

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi, aragoncatherine, if you're still here. This old thread is the only one I've found in a few weeks of searching that describes a solution for changing the password. But I'm missing something. You said to "click the triangle exclamation mark in the notification bar". I'd love to do that, but I don't see how you went from tapping on the account name to the appearance of the triangle. Why would there be a triangle there? I'm apparently dumber than you because I could not figure it out.

If that person is not here, could someone else please reply? I was needing to change my password when sending in our Xoom to get the 4G upgrade (which went just fine), so if anyone started gmail.com it would not automatically sign in. I ended up going to my PC and browser to change the password.

Thx - Dave H

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Once you change your password on Google.com the tablet won't sync and will throw an error. When it throws the error you can click the exclamation Mark in the notification bar to reset it.

If you delete the Google account from the Xoom while it's in for servicing you can just add it again when you get it back... you'll just have to download your apps again.

apieceoficeberg

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave,

Still got no idea how to reset GMail password on Samsung Galaxy Note refer to aragonchaterine?
What aragonchatarine means of a triangle is an icon on the top left of the notification bar that looks like triangle. I tried the step as follows:

- Go to your GMail account
- Click the triangle and wait couple seconds
- You'll get a popped-up message to reset your password.

When it worked for me, it should have worked for you too.
Hope it clarifies the issue.

*Dee

WHITETIGER3141

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I have spent hours searching for a good, quick, easy, direct solution, which I think should do it hear. If you change your gmail password online from a computer; you then need to update your ANDROID phone gmail acct. password too, but in both places, there are 2, INCOMING AND OUTGOING, THEY are separate.
BEGIN AT HOME SCREEN,
GOTO APPS==>>> EMAIL/GMAIL APP
OPEN MENU (TOUCH BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON of phone open account settings (in the more string))
scroll down until you see SERVER SETTINGS; open BOTH INCOMING AND OUT GOING( HERE YOU FINALLY CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD) I never remember this stuff until I actually need it so I send myself an email online with these instructions in subject type password change, then whenever search you inbox for password references, I'm a stroke survivor and little things like this help us a lot. hope thats easier and that it all makes sense and helps. good luck.

Roger Stenning

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Finally found this thread, thank the stars, as I thought I was loosing my ruddy marbles. Motion seconded: Make password change a choice in the settings menu. Why this hasn't already been done is a complete and utter mystery - it's almost a no-brainer.

peder j Johnson

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Working from a t-mobile Samsung Galaxy when I go to Apps I only see "Email" and "Gmail" options. Neither one of which gives me the option to open a "menu". When I go to gmail option it only gives me "no connection", I assume because I have changed my password on Gmail on my computer. When I go to "Emai" app it asks for email adderess and password and of of course the old password no longer gets me anywhere.

Any thoughts?

sherthebrave

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This was crazy. I reset my Google password on a PC, then kept getting an error on my Galaxy S4.
The window gave me the option to reset my password, which would take me to an Internet page or two options at the bottom of the screen, one to CANCEL and another called... something.. I finally selected it, though it was not an intuitive selection and I was allowed to put in my new password.

Everything then worked fine, no need to set up for ingoing and outgoing.
Prior to this, I had checked settings, aps, everything... crazy.

Robert Youngberg

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I also have struggled to figure out how to change/update the Gmail account password when using Gmail on the Gmail app vs. Gmail on the Email app. This is the first info I have found - THANKS!!! The 'Gurus' at the AT&T store were no help, suggested I delete the account and start over. :-(
As of Jan 2015 on Android Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note Pro there is still no way to change/update Gmail account password under [Settings] if you are using the Gmail app. You can change a Gmail account password under Setting if you are using the regular Email app but I prefer the Gmail app.
The following worked for me.
1. Click on [Gmail] app icon.
2. Click on [Menu] (3 little dots in upper right corner)
3. Click on [Refresh]
4. Error message appears on bottom of screen -
5. Click on [SIGN-IN]
6. [Couldn't sign in] message appears
7. Click on [Try Again] at bottom of screen
8. [Re-Type password] message appears
9. Type in new password
10. Click [Sign-in] at lower right corner of screen.
The app will display Gmail and refresh your email. Note - the error messages that appear are confusing, they could use some serious changes to make the process easier to understand. Let me know if I made any mistakes in the above, hope it works for you!

Last edited:

GaryHibbert

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem--changed my Gmail password. Samsung told me I had to delete the account and start over. Not an option. So I went to the Telus store where I got the phone and they did it in about two minutes!!!
All you have to do is log into your Google account (mygoogle) from your phone. You have to use your new password to get in. Once in, it will tell you that your email account wants to update. Allow it to, and everything is good to go.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I change my password on my computer not a phone or tablet. Seems like it causes more issues if you don't change on a computer