Unfortunate 3G Experience

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I went to activate my 3G plan today on Verizon...Which I wasn't able to do when I purchased the Xoom....

I'm not going to type the entire story, but 3 hours after speaking with Verizon, in store and out of store, I am not able to have my 3G.

To activate my 3G i'll need to pay a $400 deposit.

Reasoning: I have no credit history, so they want a deposit.

So beware youngins that don't have credit, 3G might not work out for you....

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
This is how it is for any cell phone contract too. Usually it's just a $125 deposit if you don't have much of abcredit history, but I know other people who had the $400 requirement too.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Is this on month to month also?

Yes it is.

I had a very very good explanation from ONE of the many people I spoke to.

The month to month is still a POST PAYMENT option.

This means that you still receive your bill at the end of the monthly term.

Prepaid, you'd pay ahead of time, which isn't available on the Xoom as of NOW.

I was told by the kind lady at the Verizon store that prepaid is going to be available in the near future. When that is, I do not, nor her, nor the other people I spoke to knew.

This is how it is for any cell phone contract too. Usually it's just a $125 deposit if you don't have much of abcredit history, but I know other people who had the $400 requirement too.

If I had absolutely NO credit I wouldn't be able to have my cable/internet bundle or my Credit Card....

___

RANT MODE ON

___

Why would I have to pay $400 for a security deposit on a MONTH TO MONTH plan if I only use it for two months...? I mean c'mon, there 0 contract, theres nothing but a $35.00 a month thing. I'd be more than happy to pay the activation fee + that right then and there if it meant I could use it. ffs.

___

RANT MODE OFF

___

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is.

I had a very very good explanation from ONE of the many people I spoke to.

The month to month is still a POST PAYMENT option.

This means that you still receive your bill at the end of the monthly term.

Prepaid, you'd pay ahead of time, which isn't available on the Xoom as of NOW.

I was told by the kind lady at the Verizon store that prepaid is going to be available in the near future. When that is, I do not, nor her, nor the other people I spoke to knew.

If I had absolutely NO credit I wouldn't be able to have my cable/internet bundle or my Credit Card....

___

RANT MODE ON

___

Why would I have to pay $400 for a security deposit on a MONTH TO MONTH plan if I only use it for two months...? I mean c'mon, there 0 contract, theres nothing but a $35.00 a month thing. I'd be more than happy to pay the activation fee + that right then and there if it meant I could use it. ffs.

___

RANT MODE OFF

___

I think because VZW is kind of greedy. I mean you should really have a choice in post pay per a month. The choice should be if you want to go over 1gb/month then you can a) have your data shut off or b) incur overage fees.

They just want you to collect fees, so to make sure you can pay them on a post pay cycle they run your credit.

I remember when I was 18 I went to get an AT&T phone and they wanted me to give them $800 !!! (I got a NexTel)

Ravr#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Odd.

I have really bad credit and had no deposit.

Edit: I'd pull my credit I were you. As I recently remember my 18 year old brother with no credit had no deposit.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Odd.

I have really bad credit and had no deposit.

Edit: I'd pull my credit I were you. As I recently remember my 18 year old brother with no credit had no deposit.

I had done so just the other day, maybe it was monday or tuesday.

Nothing marked against me, but literally NOTHING in there at all >_>

I was more than upset.

I giggled as well, I just don't see the need for such an excessive amount. I mean $400 is such a number ontop of me already buying the Xoom at full price.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So someone from the presidents office at verizon gave me a call today to see if anything could be done for me, which they said no they can't do anything about this at all....fantastic, ill return my xoom. Well in the time that they took to give me a call...my 14 day return policy came into play. Awesome. So now I'm stuck with a 3g xoom that was paid in full with the only way of activating being a 400$ activation fee.
Just be aware of credit before you delve into a new device I suppose.

400 on top of the 800 to buy it? Awesome.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So someone from the presidents office at verizon gave me a call today to see if anything could be done for me, which they said no they can't do anything about this at all....fantastic, ill return my xoom. Well in the time that they took to give me a call...my 14 day return policy came into play. Awesome. So now I'm stuck with a 3g xoom that was paid in full with the only way of activating being a 400$ activation fee.
Just be aware of credit before you delve into a new device I suppose.

400 on top of the 800 to buy it? Awesome.

That is a PITA - I remember something about them putting the deposit into an interest gathering account for a year, not like it's nice to shell out an extra $400 though in the meantime.

Can someone else you know activate it for you?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Stinks. You would get the money back right? Just like a deposit in a beer keg :) I had my sisters boyfriend at the time get me a phone when I turned 18 due to the same thing. After 2 months he signed over the line to me and no deposit needed. See if someone can do that. Its funny cause the cell phone stuff does not show on your credit report so they just use yours to see other credit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
$400.00 does seem excessive. When I was younger and had no credit history, I went through the same thing but, nothing that high and, I always got it back later.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
None of my immediate family has decent enough credit, my dad tried and he was told 400$ as well.

The xoom is on craigslist already, and I have someone calling verizon to see if he can be approved before buying mine. Ill be getting 750 so not too much loss.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie