To Xoom or not to Xoom?

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I have been patiently waiting for a couple things...first was the release of the WiFi only xoom, Got that coming. Second was the release of the LG G slate which I thought was coming on the 23rd of this month. Now it looks like it might be pushed back to April 20th. I'm not sure I can wait another month to do a side by side comparison of the two before purchasing one or the other. I was really leaning towards the LG as you can tell from my forum name. But now I have to seriously consider just going with the xoom. Not that that is any consolation prize. I've played with one allot at Best buy and really like it. However I'm thrilled with the 9.7" screen of my Ipad so I thought the LG would be the perfect compromise over xoom 10.1 and the Galaxy tab 7". I hope they still release before April 20th but probably unlikely since we haven't seen anything yet and it's already the 17th.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I have been patiently waiting for a couple things...first was the release of the WiFi only xoom, Got that coming. Second was the release of the LG G slate which I thought was coming on the 23rd of this month. Now it looks like it might be pushed back to April 20th. I'm not sure I can wait another month to do a side by side comparison of the two before purchasing one or the other. I was really leaning towards the LG as you can tell from my forum name. But now I have to seriously consider just going with the xoom. Not that that is any consolation prize. I've played with one allot at Best buy and really like it. However I'm thrilled with the 9.7" screen of my Ipad so I thought the LG would be the perfect compromise over xoom 10.1 and the Galaxy tab 7". I hope they still release before April 20th but probably unlikely since we haven't seen anything yet and it's already the 17th.

I say go for it, I'm totally biased.

That being said, I get a ton of stuff done with it and even play games. I've kind of gone down the accessories rabbit hole as well.

I'd guess it'll be comparable to the G Slate, minus the 3D screen. I have "bigger" hands I guess you could say and think the form factor and screen size work out quite nice. I do use a tablet stand and the keyboard at work though so it's not really an issue most of the day.

I'd say get a Xoom - but there's so much that depends on a) what you will use it for and b) how you will use it.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
or buy from costco- u get 90 day return policy

when the g slate comes out you can see if ud rather have that and return the xoom, or if u still like the xoom then keep the xoom.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could buy at Costco but I have the money all on Best buy gift cards. As I was selling lots of stuff on Ebay including my Ipad I would take the money and put it in Gift cards that way I wouldn't spend it on something silly like bills and grocery's :) so what I ever I get I'll be buying at Best buy. I will use this the same way I did my Ipad ( couch, bedroom, bathroom ) sorry to much info there. I'm sure I'm not the only one though. Thanks for the input

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
well if u are limited to best buy then i guess u are kind of in a middle ground. I know its hard to wait, and if you are not 100% sold on the xoom, then u will likely have a bit of buyers remorse. But one assurance is that most of these tablets coming out have pretty similar hardware and the exact same software. So even if a new tablet comes out, its not like the xoom will be outdated any time soon.

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat sort off. I've played with the xoom many times at Best Buy and must say I like it, but I want to wait for the LG before I decide because I think the 10.1 is too big for me. I ran to the Apple store to buy the Ipad 2 after watching the Best Buy Mobile reps playing monopoly on the Ipad 2. Thank God they were out of stock. Whew, so now I asked my wife to get me one for my B-Day in August. Trust me I'm an Adroid fanboy all the way, had G1, N1, and now NS so that was a big deal for me. I'm just sick of all the Android tablets releasing without a WI-FI only version because I don't plan on using the 3G radio since I can tether my NS anytime with my unlimited Tmo data. I'm going to wait until the end of April for my tablet purchase.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
IMO don't wait any longer... the Xoom is top notch and totally awesome!! The Xoom is just one quality device all the way around. Good luck in your decision.

kurttrail

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait at least until motorola comes clean on when they are gonna get the SD card reader working.

Sometime in the future is a pretty vague answer.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I probably will wait until the LG comes out. I'm not concerned about the lack of tablet apps on the xoom so that wouldn't prevent me from buying. I hope we get a solid release date for the LG slate I'll go buy the xoom 10 days before the launch and have a chance to play with it for a week or so before returning it for the LG. Then I'll have 10-14 days to decide which I like better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol