USB Flash drive

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems crazy to put a USB drive on a computing device and then not provide support for it. Does anyone know if Motorola will be enabling access to a flag drive from this thing? My wife has a cheap Android tablet with a USB port and I can use a flash drive with it, so I know Android can handle it. What possible reason would Motorola have for limiting its use.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
its micro usb so its its not a that crazy, if it were full size usb then yea they should have support for it. I think the reason for it is same as the reason sd slot doesnt work yet, its because of honeycomb. A future update should enable support for that and maybe a usb drives through an otg cable. Right now xda has a workaround that allows you to use a flash drive via an otg cable, but i think you need root for that.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a micro USB adapter that will allow me to plug in a USB DRIVE. So I guess I'll just wait and see about the upgrade.

To me, this would be a good reason to root my zoom, if I could gain access to the USB.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I saw video that Toshiba tablet will have full usb plug and you'll be able to run an external drive and optical drives.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I saw video that Toshiba tablet will have full usb plug and you'll be able to run an external drive and optical drives.

Now that's what I'm looking for. I would love to be able to load pictures straight from my camera while I am traveling.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
looks like what i want. i have never rooted a device befor i have the 3.01 update, if i root my Xoom will it reset everything to factory?
.Oh, and thanks for the help i think will give this a try this weekend

Last edited:

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
looks like what i want. i have never rooted a device befor i have the 3.01 update, if i root my Xoom will it reset everything to factory?
.Oh, and thanks for the help i think will give this a try this weekend
You're welcome. I haven't rooted my Xoom but from everything I've read it will NOT reset it to factory state. You'd retain all of your programs and data, and just have extra privileges you didn't have before.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
What about applications and data? It's pretty easy to reinstall applications, as long as i know what to expect. Will I retain the ability to receive honeycomb updates?

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
All rooting does is gives apps access to the core components of the OS. This is good most of the time but if an app is malicious this could be bad.

At the begining of the procedure it states 'this will erase your Xoom', what does it erase? Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to learn here. I have worked a lot with configurations on WINDOWS and Linux but never with this sort of 'embeded' device. With a PC I know I can always get back where i started from, even if it is sometimes painful.

If rooting simply unlocks the device then I understand I can copy whatever files I like into the systems directory's. But what does it do to everything else (data, apps, and configuration)?

treeofliberty

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I may have done it wrong, but it wiped mine. I had to reload apps and data. There were several steps I had to repeat because I had done things wrong and was a noob. This may explain my pain.

Now I rockin' a 1.5Ghz Xoom, trying to figure out why the USB thumb drive won't mount as expected. Progress.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds great. I may spend some time tomorrow trying to root mine. I will have to install the development pack on my XP laptop, since i haven't been able to resolve the problem with my Win7 system not recognizing the Zoom. I want to be sure I can back everything up before. I start.

Anybody have any thoughts of long term effects from overclocking? Notice any instability or heating issues?

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
With overclocking, i suggest you buy setcpu or get oc widget (free) and use those to set the scaling. Those allows you to choose profiles like powersave, performance etc.. and set the clock speeds.

I hear the xoom is stable at 1.5ghz, personally i would keep it at 1.2 to be safe. Instability and heating usually happens if you overclock to the max and set it so it stays at the max and doesnt scale at all.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at that. the profiles thing makes a lot of sense, the higher speed shouldn't always be needed anyway.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Xoom yesterday and loaded the USB Disk root. I finally got the file updates in vold.fstab but when I connect a flash disk I don't get anything. The USBDisk directory is there but it shows as an empty folder.

anyone else try this and would you have a suggestion?

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Yea, Toshiba's tab looks pretty nice. Great spec list and external connections (USB, HDMI, etc.). I just hope that the screen is actually nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol