Xoom + iPhone = Heaven?

Ravr#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready for a phone upgrade and I've been tossing around the idea of pairing my xoom with an iphone. What sells me is the apps. I love my xoom and almost traded it for an I pad 2, then reality hit me and I determined the xoom is going nowhere. I love it. The only thing it lacks is the apps and google hasn't done much to assist in the market with identifing tablet optimized apps.

So I am seriously contemplating it.... the only thing holding me back is signing a 2 year contract, that's a long time to be stuck with what may potentially be a bad decision.

Thoughts?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well...why buy a Xoom on contract when you can get a phone with a hot spot and just share data?

All of the reviews right now of the Xoom basically say the software is not 100% yet, which should get fixed rather quickly since it is a developer device, and that the hardware is very nice, but has some quirks that come down to personal preference. I would hold off on buying an iPhone right now, since the iPhone 5 is due out in a few months.

Ravr#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Well...why buy a Xoom on contract when you can get a phone with a hot spot and just share data?

All of the reviews right now of the Xoom basically say the software is not 100% yet, which should get fixed rather quickly since it is a developer device, and that the hardware is very nice, but has some quirks that come down to personal preference. I would hold off on buying an iPhone right now, since the iPhone 5 is due out in a few months.

The xoom is off contract... its the phone I can't justify buying off contract.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, and the iPhone 4 will be much cheaper off contract. However, I would still suggest getting an Android phone, this being an Android forum and all.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I just read that att&t might be looking into people that jailbreak to tether so if that's what you may do too might want to look into that. It showed in my twitter feed from geohotus. If your doing Verizon then disregard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Xoom + thunderbolt is what I'm rocking.

Also while agree there is a lack of apps going to a xoom from an ipad2 that diffrence isn't even noticle on a phone. There are tons of android phone apps and virtually all of the big name apps are on both. If anything if you really want one of each I'd think android phone/ipad would make more sense than xoom/iphone but whatever floats your boat.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
In case you don't know. You can't tether an iPhone to the xoom over a wifi network. It's only possible through a slow Bluetooth connection. Maybe they can/will one day update the xoom to support ad hoc networks but I really have no idea if it's possible or not. If someone could please enlighten me I would be grateful.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The only disadvantage I see is that you are going to have to pay double for some of the apps. I would rather stay in the same ecosystem as it allows me to keep my paid apps on both devices. May not be a big deal to you but its a reason. And I'm an android fanboy ...so take that for what it is

timmyboy188

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving my iPhone + Xoom. Have GooCal on my iphone that automatically links my calander events with gmail, then straight to my Xoom. Have a 3 dollar app from Cydia to tether internet from my iPhone 4 to Xoom, fast as hell too. I'll go Thunderbolt once I can actually look at it at a Verizon store without some other guy hogging it all to himself every time I go in.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What app is that? You're the first person I've come across that was able to do that since android doesn't support the ad hoc networks iPhone uses for tethering.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
In case you don't know. You can't tether an iPhone to the xoom over a wifi network. It's only possible through a slow Bluetooth connection. Maybe they can/will one day update the xoom to support ad hoc networks but I really have no idea if it's possible or not. If someone could please enlighten me I would be grateful.

If he gets the legit tethering option on ATT or VZW the Xoom will see the wifi hotspot just like any other phone. However the Xoom will not connect to a jail broken iPhone using MyWi as it is not compatible with the protocol.

timmyboy188

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4 is jailbroken, through ATT. Downloaded an app on Cydia called "Tetherme" and I tether through Bluetooth. It's actually very fast, just as fast as my 3G on my iPhone at the least. I send invoices after every job while I'm out, and I attach files, takes less then 5 seconds to send them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante