Motorola drops Xoom order, No more Xooms after June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Bummer, though I think it's a bit premature since the Sprint version (not sure if this is 100% true) and the wifi version haven't been released yet.

DH in DC

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would say yours is an uninformed interpretation of this report. Another way of reading this is that sales for the Motorola Xoom are on target and are expected to be 3-5 million this year. Presumably orders slow after any electronics product have been introduced. Maybe sales are somewhat slower than they would have liked, but to suggest this is the end of the Xoom-- which your post was clearly intended to imply-- is misleading and not supported by the cited article.

Reactions: ChevyStorm88

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I would say yours is an uninformed interpretation of this report. Another way of reading this is that sales for the Motorola Xoom are on target and are expected to be 3-5 million this year. Presumably orders slow after any electronics product have been introduced. Maybe sales are somewhat slower than they would have liked, but to suggest this is the end of the Xoom-- which your post was clearly intended to imply-- is misleading and not supported by the cited article.

Agreed

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, here too.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Are they expecting shortages because of the situation in Japan? Or is this another failed attempt at making the Xoom look like a failure? lol..

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I would say yours is an uninformed interpretation of this report. Another way of reading this is that sales for the Motorola Xoom are on target and are expected to be 3-5 million this year.

First of all that figure is referring to shipments of the xoom not the "sale" of them. If demand is practically none existent than it would make sense that they are decreasing orders instead of increasing, and by june cease manufacturing.

Presumably orders slow after any electronics product have been introduced. Maybe sales are somewhat slower than they would have liked

that just made me lol.

order slow sure. but the xoom was introduced at the end of February, wifi at the end of march.
Motorola still hasn't launched internationally yet they are decreasing instead of increasing shipments that will end in june.
yeah sounds like motorola has as much faith in the xoom as you do

but to suggest this is the end of the Xoom-- which your post was clearly intended to imply-- is misleading and not supported by the cited article.

umm... it is the end of the xoom, the article does cite it.

"But Motorola's Xoom orders in the second quarter will drop gradually each month, and orders will only last till the end of June, the sources said.

off topic: have you seen samsung tab 10.1, they just xuned the xoom.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
First of all that figure is referring to shipments of the xoom not the "sale" of them. If demand is practically none existent than it would make sense that they are decreasing orders instead of increasing, and by june cease manufacturing.

that just made me lol.

order slow sure. but the xoom was introduced at the end of February, wifi at the end of march.
Motorola still hasn't launched internationally yet they are decreasing instead of increasing shipments that will end in june.
yeah sounds like motorola has as much faith in the xoom as you do

umm... it is the end of the xoom, the article does cite it.

"But Motorola's Xoom orders in the second quarter will drop gradually each month, and orders will only last till the end of June, the sources said.

off topic: have you seen samsung tab 10.1, they just xuned the xoom.

The "sources"... im curious as to what these "sources" are. Also, isnt digitimes the website that basically posts anything? regardless of validity? thats my understanding of that website. Ill wait to believe any of this till I hear actual word. Sure, this MAY be true, but i kinda doubt it...

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The only thing the articles really leaves clues to is the original Xoom maybe replaced in the 2nd have of 2011 by the Xoom 2. Not the end of the device all together.

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The "sources"... im curious as to what these "sources" are. Also, isnt digitimes the website that basically posts anything? regardless of validity? thats my understanding of that website. Ill wait to believe any of this till I hear actual word. Sure, this MAY be true, but i kinda doubt it...

Sorry are you trying to smear digitime's reputation because of the xoom's poor performance.
Im sure to appease you motorola will issue a press release that states:

"Motorla Mobility is proud to announce that the xoom sales have faltered, demand has waned, We are currently decreasing production of the xoom each month until june, when we will halt production again due to a lack of demand. But please do go out and purchase our xoom."

Gee I wonder why they didn't issue a press release.
Samsung tab 10.1 can't get here fast enough.

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The only thing the articles really leaves clues to is the original Xoom maybe replaced in the 2nd have of 2011 by the Xoom 2. Not the end of the device all together.

That could be true but I highly doubt it.
It would be very unlikely for motorola to announce the 2 generation xoom 2-6 months after they started shipping the original.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
700-800k in 3 months, not that impressive if you ask me. consider samsung galaxy tab sold 2 million in first 3 months.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
"and the company may launch a new Xoom model in the second half after evaluating the situation."

Oh come on now? This better not be true.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That could be true but I highly doubt it.
It would be very unlikely for motorola to announce the 2 generation xoom 2-6 months after they started shipping the original.

Quote from the article, I personally have no clue but I read this to mean it is possible.

"Motorola's orders will drop to around 300,000 units in April and below 300,000 units in May. The sources believe the unclear market status of iPad-like tablet PCs is the reason for Motorola to reduce its orders and the company may launch a new Xoom model in the second half after evaluating the situation."

As fast as Android phones come out, not sure why this would be that much of a shock. These companies are going to be putting out tablets as fast as they can to stay competitive. They are not on the same time table as Apple. Prepare to own outdated tablets because it is going to happen, like it or not.

My thought is the Xoom is the "Google" tablet like the G1 so no Touch wiz and other crap standing in the way of updates and easy rooting and customization. I think the G1 is still one of the better Android phones out there.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not even the Q2 yet and there's no way to gauge consumer response to the wifi only version.

They may have very well ordered a lot at the start then slowed it down a bit, especially with a pending (4G) hardware upgrade.

There's just too many different variables associated with the Xoom right now to think they'll stop ordering them in June. What if they release a 16GB/4G/Sdcard working version in May for $499 that's a huge hit - or something right before the holiday season.

It hasn't even been out for a month yet...

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Quote from the article, I personally have no clue but I read this to mean it is possible.

"Motorola's orders will drop to around 300,000 units in April and below 300,000 units in May. The sources believe the unclear market status of iPad-like tablet PCs is the reason for Motorola to reduce its orders and the company may launch a new Xoom model in the second half after evaluating the situation."

If the original xoom was such a failure that it warranted a replacement after 2-3 weeks of being on sale then i'm sure motorola won't give it another thought not to mention what to do with the surplus of device sitting on store shelves or in warehouses.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hm, it's like you forget about the Droid, was that a booming success 30 days in? No, but 8 months later not one, but several next generation droids were announced and released.

So saying a Xoom 2 or Xoom pro or Xoom global will be out between Halloween & Thanksgiving isn't out of the realm of what Moto/VZW have already done in the past.

Looking at it like that, maybe the Xoom was already slated to be EOL in June if Moto already has tegra3 plans. - You'd have to think android dev. is probably even a generation ahead of what's currently released as well.

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Looking at it like that, maybe the Xoom was already slated to be EOL in June if Moto already has tegra3 plans. - You'd have to think android dev. is probably even a generation ahead of what's currently released as well.

you must be joking.

Hm, it's like you forget about the Droid, was that a booming success 30 days in? No, but 8 months later not one, but several next generation droids were announced and released.

Really,
I wonder what prompted motorola to go ahead and release 'several next generation droids'

Analytics firm Flurry estimated that 250,000 Motorola Droid phones were sold in the United States during the phone's first week in stores. Flurry also estimated that 1.05 million Motorola Droids were sold in first 74 days of the launch.

Do you think that had the droid not been successful motorola would have gone ahead with android.

So saying a Xoom 2 or Xoom pro or Xoom global will be out between Halloween & Thanksgiving isn't out of the realm of what Moto/VZW have already done in the past.

if the xoom brand fails motorola will abandon it and either start over with a new brand or focus on where their profits are, namely smartphones that are subsidised by carriers

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Remember the xoom is more a developers device. Im all for a xoom 2 in a few months. That will probably have a locked bootloader and skinned by moto. Ill gladly keep my original xoom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.