Amazon free app of the day

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Hello,
I didn't know about Amazon's App Store until yesterday, but I'm impressed. For the budding Android platform, this is a major step in the right direction!

Seems the future will be a healthy competition of the titans -- Apple on one side and Amazon/Google on the other.

For me personally, seeing Amazon behind the Android concept makes me feel more confident about diving in.

Thanks,
Matthew

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The free app of the day is awesome, I will defiantly be checking back each day just to see what is there. I am not a huge fan of poker, but I am a huge fan of Angry birds, which I go yesterday.

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
thegunslinger1,
It's funny... Even though the headline is that it's a "free" app, my first thought about was not about "free" but rather about publicizing the Android platform.

It makes me feel a lot more confident about purchasing an Android tablet when I see that Amazon is throwing its weight behind the platform. I'm guessing this is having the same "confidence" effect on a lot of potential buyers.

Thanks,
Matthew

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think Apple has alienated enough people that the tide will swing against them pretty fast and hard. Structuring their App Store policies to make it more difficult for the likes of Amazon to sell products to Apple customers was perhaps the last straw, and Amazon has enough clout when combined with to Google that it maybe represents a real sleeping tiger that Apple might have finally awoken.

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
I think Apple has alienated enough people that the tide will swing against them pretty fast and hard. Structuring their App Store policies to make it more difficult for the likes of Amazon to sell products to Apple customers was perhaps the last straw...

Beyond sellers and developers, perhaps more "regular" customers will now start to realize that Apple intentionally limits their choices. This is what finally drove me to sell my iPad.

The weird thing is, lot of Apple customers either are OK with the limitations, or they are not aware that they are being limited. This doesn't make sense, given we now live in a world that is all about choice. I think Apple has somehow found a way to appeal to people's need for order and "neatness," masking the loss of choice. Also, they got into the tablet game first and got a strong head start.

So, I think the big question is, can Android continue to deepen its multi-faceted possibilities, and yet still present a friendly model for "regular" customers?

Getting Amazon on board, using Amazon's familiar site structure that everyone is used to, may be a huge step in this game.

Thanks,
Matthew

Ironcladz

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning the 3G Xoom this week and picking up the WiFi tab on Sunday. I believe that once you initiate the download through the Amazon app store that it should work like the Android Market in that it will save the app as your purchased apps ( I do see emails saying "Thanks for your purchase).

I am correct?

I'd like to start up the WiFi xoom on Sunday, download the Amazon market app and then re-download all of the apps on my EVO, rather than paying for them again.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes - as long as you use the same credentials.

Love the APP of the Day - Not into Card's - but a free 4.99 APP - Amazon has my attention at least once a day.

I'm returning the 3G Xoom this week and picking up the WiFi tab on Sunday. I believe that once you initiate the download through the Amazon app store that it should work like the Android Market in that it will save the app as your purchased apps ( I do see emails saying "Thanks for your purchase).

I am correct?

I'd like to start up the WiFi xoom on Sunday, download the Amazon market app and then re-download all of the apps on my EVO, rather than paying for them again.

Reactions: strauss884

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Awesome thread idea!! I really appreciate it and perfect timing as I finally setup the Amazon AppStore tonight. I'm looking forward to Amazon adding a Tablet category... at least I couldn't find it.

Again, great thread idea and I'll be looking for my subscription email to this thread each day (on my Xoom btw). :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm totally digging the app store/market competition. Will be interesting to see how Android Market responds to Amazon's AppStore free app per day promo.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the same app in android market (always free) and the market app ask for less permissions. Hmmmm.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Thinking airport mania may be tomorrows app. Its listed under free but still at. 99 only one like that. I hope so I love the free one now. Full would be awesome.

crypto#AC

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I like having to enable 'allow apps from unknown sources' in order to use the amazon appstore. I can see this leading to potential security risks in the future. Thoughts?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I like having to enable 'allow apps from unknown sources' in order to use the amazon appstore. I can see this leading to potential security risks in the future. Thoughts?

Not so much of a security risk since amazon stated they would scan all apps in their store for spyware etc before posting them for download.

nomachinez

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I imagine crypto's concern wasn't so much with the potential insecurities of Amazon's Appstore. I think the issue is that you have to poke a hole in the security blanket of that checkbox in order to use it.

It's kind of a big problem for me, and because I have to uncheck that box I feel like the Amazon Appstore is a bit of a "hack". I don't want to have to hack my system in order to use someone's app, no matter who they are, based on principle.

Also, I think it's a big problem for the general user community because it opens them up to simply browsing a rogue website and clicking on the wrong link in order to compromise their system. Someone who doesn't know much about this sort of thing with just keep clicking "OK" until the messages stop. That's the sort of thing that the "Allow apps from unknown sources" checkbox protects you against, and I think forcing your users to uncheck that box is at least wrong and at most irresponsible.

On the other hand, I don't think there is any other way. :confused:

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Hello,
I'm still new in the Android world (transitioning from the closed and protected environment of the Apple App Store). But I understand what you mean now. Opening up for Amazon (which is reliable) also opens you up to unreliable sources.

This might be a silly question, but here goes... What's a "known source"? Isn't it possible for Amazon's App Store to somehow be registered (I don't know if that's the correct term) as a "known source"?

I don't want to see anything stand in the way of such a promising idea, so if there are indeed security issues I hope they can be worked out.

Thanks,
Matthew