Very brief note to business owners considering the Xoom.

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
This is kind of a mini review to all business owners that may be considering a Xoom tablet. All business owners have specialized needs and my needs may differ greatly than yours. I’m not here to praise or complain about android or Xoom. Only to state how it may or may not work with your business.

My company needs one device that could be used in the office and field that could keep us connected with our office and my clients to provide real time results. This would have to include taking and uploading pictures to the web and completing paperwork over web based software. It also needs to carry its own 3g radio. Because after all field work is in the field and you can’t stay connected without it. I will also need to have full access to edit, view, save and send all Microsoft documents.

For some local based companies that can work out of the Microsoft world this device will probably work for you.

For a business/office that’s dealing with national companies it’s just not there yet. Either we need Android apps that make it more user friendly with a Microsoft based business world or the world needs to be more android friendly in a business sense. Not going to hold my breath for either. So at this time the only thing I can see that would fit the needs of my type of business would be a windows 7 tablet that had a carrier.

As stated before your business may greatly differ from mine and android may be a perfect fit for what you need.

Reactions: anon(20681)

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked out documents to go? It works really well with office docs. With docs to go & thumb keyboard I really can get a lot done.

Yes i use documents to go with my Droid original (3.7 screen). I have heard very good reviews of thumb keyboard but the keyboard is fine. The real problem for me is none of the availible web browsers are compatible with my clients web based software.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes i use documents to go with my Droid original (3.7 screen). I have heard very good reviews of thumb keyboard but the keyboard is fine. The real problem for me is none of the availible web browsers are compatible with my clients web based software.

Hm, what kind of web app is it? Java based?

rdmartin1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I too faced this same dilemna with my Galaxy Tab. A lot of the websites I need to access will only work with Internet Explorer due to Active X controls. No way around it.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Easy... as an enterprise user and international traveler (not sure that matters but the op mentioned it...)

Get yourself a vnc solution and log back into a box on your enterprise network if you need frameworks not supported on android. I'm using the updated version of logmein and find that I can get everything done that I need.

Xoom. Is lightyears ahead of the Ipad when it comes to an enterprise device...just find workarounds for the areas you find lacking.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
As a part time web developer I have to say I'm really anti web sites that are platform specific. There's just no need to be locked in to technology like that anymore.

I worked with a team of C#/.net guys a few years ago, really slick people but the "visual" Microsoft products seem to leave a lot to be desired when it comes to cross platform compatibility. That being said, people need what they need when they need it so I get it. I just wish Microsoft would release some android frameworks. (I doubt they ever will).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz