Anyone like the portrait mode better than landscape?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So I picked up my WiFi Xoom today (thanks Staples!) and I've been messing with it pretty much all afternoon. I have to say though, that for regular browsing and things I find the portrait mode is a lot easier to use than the landscape mode. The keyboard is almost impossible to use in portrait but the view is better I feel for reading websites and things like that.

Love the tablet, but Twitter and Facebook definitely need a Honeycomb optimized app. Also, it's quite annoying that the browser defaults to the mobile view for sites, and if you didn't know about sites like Android Central then you definitely wouldnt be able to change it to view sites in the desktop mode.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I love to read my Pulse newsfeeds in landscape, but if it's a long article there for for any long article in the browser, I'll switch to portrait. I find it's easier on the eyes as there's less horizontal movement while reading text.

I tend to do a lot of stuff in landscape mode simply because I have the Moto portfolio desktop stand, so the Xoom gets propped up a lot. When my pivot pad holder comes in, I have a feeling I may be doing a lot more stuff in portrait mode...

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
99% landscape. I even have it on orientation lock for landscape.
1% for portrait for reading word documents before class.

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Get thumb keyboard or check out swift key beta... it's amazing for typing in landscape. I do admit I like holding it with one hand in portrait but use it more efficiently in landscape.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.... one hundred percent landscape and love it. The form factor really lends itself to landscape imo especially with thumbkeyboard.

I was a portrait Ipad user for the first month and then went landscape and never looked back.

OldSock

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I use mine 99% in portrait mode. I really hate apps that are locked in one mode or the other, especially the market app. I really hate having to rotate it to landscape just to use the market, hopefully they'll fix that.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I use it mostly in landscape. I feel more comfortable that way. Especially with the thumb keyboard. Swiftkey is another alternative. I have a few games that only work in portrait mode and I find it ok.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Get thumb keyboard or check out swift key beta... it's amazing for typing in landscape. I do admit I like holding it with one hand in portrait but use it more efficiently in landscape.
I paid for SwiftKey a long time ago for my OG Droid and love it, but it's terrible on the Xoom in landscape mode.

I'd love to check out the beta ... where can I find it?

I looked all over SwiftKey's site, but don't see it.

Edit: Never mind. Found I have to register as a SwiftKey VIP. Will look into it...

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am usually a portrait mode user, as I think it is far more logical to use that way. However, I have niti ed something odd, maybe its just my unit..

But does anyone else notice that the tablet does not perform as well when in portrait mode? Swiping and tapping buttons seems to work much faster when in landscape mode than it does portrait. In addition, the frame rate seems much faster when the tablet is in landscape mode also. I just get better overall performance from the system when I am in landscape mode.

Anyone else noticing this? Or is it just me?

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
As I do alot of tabletop gaming and have all my core books on dropbox for tablet use, i tend to use Portrait for reading (nook, pdf or web articles) and then switch back to landscape for everything else.

Speaking of which, anyone having problems with adobe reader crashing everytime you switch from landscape to portrait and vice versa

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood