Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone like the portrait mode better than landscape?

So I picked up my WiFi Xoom today (thanks Staples!) and I've been messing with it pretty much all afternoon. I have to say though, that for regular browsing and things I find the portrait mode is a lot easier to use than the landscape mode. The keyboard is almost impossible to use in portrait but the view is better I feel for reading websites and things like that.

Love the tablet, but Twitter and Facebook definitely need a Honeycomb optimized app. Also, it's quite annoying that the browser defaults to the mobile view for sites, and if you didn't know about sites like Android Central then you definitely wouldnt be able to change it to view sites in the desktop mode.

I use mine in portrait about 80 percent of the time now. I simply can't type the other way well...

I love to read my Pulse newsfeeds in landscape, but if it's a long article there for for any long article in the browser, I'll switch to portrait. I find it's easier on the eyes as there's less horizontal movement while reading text.

I tend to do a lot of stuff in landscape mode simply because I have the Moto portfolio desktop stand, so the Xoom gets propped up a lot. When my pivot pad holder comes in, I have a feeling I may be doing a lot more stuff in portrait mode...
    Droiderator

Carrier
    Bugless Nexus

90% landscape. Just portrait for reading some sites.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Arun01 likes this.

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts

99% landscape. I even have it on orientation lock for landscape.
    1% for portrait for reading word documents before class.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Get thumb keyboard or check out swift key beta... it's amazing for typing in landscape. I do admit I like holding it with one hand in portrait but use it more efficiently in landscape.

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts

Interesting.... one hundred percent landscape and love it. The form factor really lends itself to landscape imo especially with thumbkeyboard.

I was a portrait Ipad user for the first month and then went landscape and never looked back.

thump keyboard will make you fall in love with how the tablet is designed to be in, landscape mode. Rarely ever use portrait mode.

Question.. In portrait can you read the text of a web page in overview? In other words, with no horizontal scrolling.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I use mine 99% in portrait mode. I really hate apps that are locked in one mode or the other, especially the market app. I really hate having to rotate it to landscape just to use the market, hopefully they'll fix that.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I use mine 99% in landscape. I hate when I have to turn it.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts

I use it mostly in landscape. I feel more comfortable that way. Especially with the thumb keyboard. Swiftkey is another alternative. I have a few games that only work in portrait mode and I find it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bbalz View Post
    Get thumb keyboard or check out swift key beta... it's amazing for typing in landscape. I do admit I like holding it with one hand in portrait but use it more efficiently in landscape.
    I paid for SwiftKey a long time ago for my OG Droid and love it, but it's terrible on the Xoom in landscape mode.

I'd love to check out the beta ... where can I find it?

I looked all over SwiftKey's site, but don't see it.

Edit: Never mind. Found I have to register as a SwiftKey VIP. Will look into it...

I am usually a portrait mode user, as I think it is far more logical to use that way. However, I have niti ed something odd, maybe its just my unit..

But does anyone else notice that the tablet does not perform as well when in portrait mode? Swiping and tapping buttons seems to work much faster when in landscape mode than it does portrait. In addition, the frame rate seems much faster when the tablet is in landscape mode also. I just get better overall performance from the system when I am in landscape mode.

Anyone else noticing this? Or is it just me?

I use mine in landscape 99% of the time.

Portrait mode for me. Perhaps because my previous phone was Nokia e72, and I got used to it?

Sent using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

As I do alot of tabletop gaming and have all my core books on dropbox for tablet use, i tend to use Portrait for reading (nook, pdf or web articles) and then switch back to landscape for everything else.

Speaking of which, anyone having problems with adobe reader crashing everytime you switch from landscape to portrait and vice versa