wifi only xoom: where's my youtube app?

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi all! Just got a wifi only xoom from costco, and I don't have a youtube app installed. Since I used my gmail that's linked to my phone, the market shows that I already have youtube installed. There's a button to open, but it doesn't. Also, I can't uninstall the youtube app. I don't know how to fix this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Try factory resetting it. If trying to launch it from the Market isn't working, that means that it is not finding the APK properly. You can either factory reset it and hope that it is there afterwards or just simply go and exchange it saying that its not working properly.

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I did, nothing. Is it supposed to come pre-installed on the wifi only models? If so, that's my problem. I never had it.

Also, do you think that because I used the same gmail as my phone during set up, that messed things up? It's weird that some of the apps I downloaded on my phone are in the market as my apps. YouTube is one of these apps, but won't let me download, open, or uninstall.

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Try factory resetting it. If trying to launch it from the Market isn't working, that means that it is not finding the APK properly. You can either factory reset it and hope that it is there afterwards or just simply go and exchange it saying that its not working properly.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing this. Didn't do too much formatting, so it shouldn't be a pain.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I did, nothing. Is it supposed to come pre-installed on the wifi only models? If so, that's my problem. I never had it.

Also, do you think that because I used the same gmail as my phone during set up, that messed things up? It's weird that some of the apps I downloaded on my phone are in the market as my apps. YouTube is one of these apps, but won't let me download, open, or uninstall.

Yes, it is supposed to come pre-installed with the WiFi only models.

And no, you didn't mess it up by using the same Gmail account. It is expected that you would. I use the same Gmail account for my primary account on both my phone and Xoom.

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just checked mine, it's not there but when I go to the market place to install it the button says open. When you click it it goes to a installed apps page and the youtube app is under not installed. But when go to install it falls back to not installed. It's weird but I'm not going to worry about it you tube still works in browser.

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I just checked mine, it's not there but when I go to the market place to install it the button says open. When you click it it goes to a installed apps page and the youtube app is under not installed. But when go to install it falls back to not installed. It's weird but I'm not going to worry about it you tube still works in browser.

Yes, the same thing is happening to me! Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to try a factory reset, and see what happens.

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it listed in your applications menu in Settings? Maybe by clearing its data or clearing defaults it'll show up for you.

Yeah its listed, I cleared the data tried to reinstal and it does the same thing. Like I said before I'm not realy upset by it but it caught my curiousity I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

currentweb

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Try extracting the youtube.apk from the system dump of the xoom. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, so just google it. I'm getting my xoom wifi tomorrow, so I will be able to help more then. If you need help finding the apk, feel free to ask :)

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

same thing is happening with me

re2st

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think Market app doesn't detect YouTube as being installed. It is pre-installed on Xoom. All you need to do is click the "Apps" button on the upper right corner when you're on the Home screen. It will show you all installed apps, and YouTube is there.

I read this thread before my Xoom arrived. I checked to verify, and yes, it shows in Market Apps as not installed, but it is installed.

kamikazebeats

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The issue with this is that the youtube app your xoom thinks you have is the mobile version for your phone. Uninstall the app, reboot and then reinstall using the market and everything should be good. My 3g xoom did the same thing

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The issue with this is that the youtube app your xoom thinks you have is the mobile version for your phone. Uninstall the app, reboot and then reinstall using the market and everything should be good. My 3g xoom did the same thing
This will sound extremely noobish but how do I uninstall. I can go under the app mangment but other then clearing the data there is no other choices.
I think Market app doesn't detect YouTube as being installed. It is pre-installed on Xoom. All you need to do is click the "Apps" button on the upper right corner when you're on the Home screen. It will show you all installed apps, and YouTube is there.

I read this thread before my Xoom arrived. I checked to verify, and yes, it shows in Market Apps as not installed, but it is installed.
No it detects it as there but there's something wrong with the install. Like a incompatible version that was force installed by Motorola. By the way I just played with the copy paste thing on my Xoom very nice and easy.

Last edited:

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
just a quick update on my end - I did a factory reset, set up my google account, and the youtube app showed up! Very weird, but factory reset did the trick. Thanks again for everyone's help on this! Hopefully this will work for anyone else having this issue. Good luck!

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
My Xoom tablet didn't have YouTube listed in the applications either... Oddly enough, when I went to the Market, I showed there was an 'update' for the application... After applying the update, the YouTube icon displayed in my apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang