Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default wifi only xoom: where's my youtube app?

Hi all! Just got a wifi only xoom from costco, and I don't have a youtube app installed. Since I used my gmail that's linked to my phone, the market shows that I already have youtube installed. There's a button to open, but it doesn't. Also, I can't uninstall the youtube app. I don't know how to fix this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

When you're in Apps, are you in My Apps or All? Do you have all the other preinstalled apps?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by siscim23 View Post
    When you're in Apps, are you in My Apps or All? Do you have all the other preinstalled apps?
    When I look at "all", its not there. It never was, even right out of the box. Any thoughts on what's going on? Kinda weird.

Did you swipe over to the 2nd page of apps...

Global Posts
    1,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Try factory resetting it. If trying to launch it from the Market isn't working, that means that it is not finding the APK properly. You can either factory reset it and hope that it is there afterwards or just simply go and exchange it saying that its not working properly.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013), Moto 360

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I did, nothing. Is it supposed to come pre-installed on the wifi only models? If so, that's my problem. I never had it.

Also, do you think that because I used the same gmail as my phone during set up, that messed things up? It's weird that some of the apps I downloaded on my phone are in the market as my apps. YouTube is one of these apps, but won't let me download, open, or uninstall.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by ock View Post
    Try factory resetting it. If trying to launch it from the Market isn't working, that means that it is not finding the APK properly. You can either factory reset it and hope that it is there afterwards or just simply go and exchange it saying that its not working properly.
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing this. Didn't do too much formatting, so it shouldn't be a pain.

Global Posts
    1,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by serratocg View Post
    I did, nothing. Is it supposed to come pre-installed on the wifi only models? If so, that's my problem. I never had it.

Also, do you think that because I used the same gmail as my phone during set up, that messed things up? It's weird that some of the apps I downloaded on my phone are in the market as my apps. YouTube is one of these apps, but won't let me download, open, or uninstall.
    Yes, it is supposed to come pre-installed with the WiFi only models.

And no, you didn't mess it up by using the same Gmail account. It is expected that you would. I use the same Gmail account for my primary account on both my phone and Xoom.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013), Moto 360

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

I just checked mine, it's not there but when I go to the market place to install it the button says open. When you click it it goes to a installed apps page and the youtube app is under not installed. But when go to install it falls back to not installed. It's weird but I'm not going to worry about it you tube still works in browser.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by drethos View Post
    I just checked mine, it's not there but when I go to the market place to install it the button says open. When you click it it goes to a installed apps page and the youtube app is under not installed. But when go to install it falls back to not installed. It's weird but I'm not going to worry about it you tube still works in browser.
    Yes, the same thing is happening to me! Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to try a factory reset, and see what happens.

Is it listed in your applications menu in Settings? Maybe by clearing its data or clearing defaults it'll show up for you.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slinky317 View Post
    Is it listed in your applications menu in Settings? Maybe by clearing its data or clearing defaults it'll show up for you.
    Yeah its listed, I cleared the data tried to reinstal and it does the same thing. Like I said before I'm not realy upset by it but it caught my curiousity I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Try extracting the youtube.apk from the system dump of the xoom. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, so just google it. I'm getting my xoom wifi tomorrow, so I will be able to help more then. If you need help finding the apk, feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by drethos View Post
    same thing is happening with me

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I think Market app doesn't detect YouTube as being installed. It is pre-installed on Xoom. All you need to do is click the "Apps" button on the upper right corner when you're on the Home screen. It will show you all installed apps, and YouTube is there.

I read this thread before my Xoom arrived. I checked to verify, and yes, it shows in Market Apps as not installed, but it is installed.

The issue with this is that the youtube app your xoom thinks you have is the mobile version for your phone. Uninstall the app, reboot and then reinstall using the market and everything should be good. My 3g xoom did the same thing

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazebeats View Post
    The issue with this is that the youtube app your xoom thinks you have is the mobile version for your phone. Uninstall the app, reboot and then reinstall using the market and everything should be good. My 3g xoom did the same thing
    This will sound extremely noobish but how do I uninstall. I can go under the app mangment but other then clearing the data there is no other choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by re2st View Post
    I think Market app doesn't detect YouTube as being installed. It is pre-installed on Xoom. All you need to do is click the "Apps" button on the upper right corner when you're on the Home screen. It will show you all installed apps, and YouTube is there.

I read this thread before my Xoom arrived. I checked to verify, and yes, it shows in Market Apps as not installed, but it is installed.
    No it detects it as there but there's something wrong with the install. Like a incompatible version that was force installed by Motorola. By the way I just played with the copy paste thing on my Xoom very nice and easy.
    Last edited by drethos; 03-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

just a quick update on my end - I did a factory reset, set up my google account, and the youtube app showed up! Very weird, but factory reset did the trick. Thanks again for everyone's help on this! Hopefully this will work for anyone else having this issue. Good luck!

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

My Xoom tablet didn't have YouTube listed in the applications either... Oddly enough, when I went to the Market, I showed there was an 'update' for the application... After applying the update, the YouTube icon displayed in my apps.

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Hmmmm I guess ill factory reset.

Mine came with the app just fine. That's odd yours didn't I guess

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

I did a factory reset, other then it being a pain in the *** to reset everything I did get the youtube app to work.

Hello All,

I am new to your forum and having the same issue. Got my Xoom this morning and the YouTube app is not there, but says it is in my system. It will not let me download it from the market either. I've done a factory reset a couple of times, did all the syncing, but nothing is working.
    I read on the 1st page of this thread, that there may be a file missing (apk?), is that something I can do as a newbie, or should I take this back for an exchange? My book app that came with this tablet is not working either.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I got a wifi only model from Costco and I seem to have the same problem: No Youtube app even if the system thinks it is installed and Google Books is not installed (might have something to do with being in Canada)

I've tried everything - even getting an apk file...nothing is working.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast