"Hidden" file folder issue on Xoom file explorer

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to use the ebook readers KINDLE or NOOK (I just want to find one that work...they all seem to have an issue...odd for a table built around reading books essentially) to read my collection of non-DRM'ed epubs. But that of course requires me to be able to sideload them to the requisite folder on the xoom (/kindle and /nook respectively).

But when I plug my Xoom in, those files are hidden and won't show up. I've gone into windows and made sure the "show hidden files" box is checked but still nothing.

I have downloaded Astro File Manager, and I can see the folders on the Xoom and can cut n paste them over, but that's a bit more of a pain. Any idea why I can't see those folders normally? Why can't I just open them normally? I don't have that issue with my Evo.

thanks
K--

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Because the Xoom isn't technically mounting as a drive when you connect it to a PC, its connecting as a "device", one of the "features" of the drivers for the device allows for a view into the device's file system, but what you can do with that view is controlled by the device drivers supplied by the manufacturer, not by Windows. Motorola doesn't want you to be able to access and change hidden folders using windows, so their supplied device driver isn't allowing you to.

All of that aside. Nook's folders aren't hidden. Here is the path to store your epubs in when you're connected in Windows, the Nook app will look in this folder for your epubs:

My Computer\Xoom\Device Storage\Nook\MyDocuments

Put your epubs in that folder and when you go to the nook app, your epubs will show up in "My Files"