1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default wifi gps not working

Anyone else having issues with gps not updating on the wifi xoom? I have restarted and checked settings and nothing

Do you have data connection? I asked because I didn't realized that the GPS needs to have data connection to function. I tethered my phone to my xoom and now it works beautifully.

It doesn't need a data connection, ive had it update while on the road
    Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.0.1 Manta Ray || Tiamat 2.1.0 "Tachi"
    Samsung Infuse 4G: Infused v2.0.2 - Gingerbread!

Quote Originally Posted by siscim23 View Post
    It doesn't need a data connection, ive had it update while on the road
    Could you elaborate please. Unless the map is already on your device, I don't see how it will update if you don't have a data connection.

And I tried it without a data connection (using google map), and the GPS wont even connect.

Thanks.

You dont need data for the GPS to work, only the map. Of course when I was on the road I would see the blue dot traveling along a grey screen, or across a blurry map (zoomed in further than what was previously loaded) but alas it did work and even responded to the device rotating.
    Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.0.1 Manta Ray || Tiamat 2.1.0 "Tachi"
    Samsung Infuse 4G: Infused v2.0.2 - Gingerbread!

Quote Originally Posted by siscim23 View Post
    You dont need data for the GPS to work, only the map. Of course when I was on the road I would see the blue dot traveling along a grey screen, or across a blurry map (zoomed in further than what was previously loaded) but alas it did work and even responded to the device rotating.
    Okay thanks.

My xoom have a lock-on in mere seconds with a data connection, and never lock-on without. Or maybe it will lock-on, but longer than my patience can handle so I would never know. Anyway, the couple of times that I've tried it without a data connection, it always gives me a "data connection loss", and keeps on trying to lock-on with no luck.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

What about latitude is that working for everyone?

Just opened Latitude for the first time, it loaded fine and found my location within about 5 seconds.

I agree that you DO NOT need a data connection, though you will need it to load a new map. I was able to run Google Maps, which would cache the local map. I can travel for a good distance and still have my location being tracked. The locally cached map is big, but once I was outside the cached map, my location was still being tracked. I just couldn't see myself on the map anymore.