Tethering Options

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I am going to pull the trigger on a Xoom. I currently have service through Sprint and have an EVO 4G. I occasionally use pdanet to do a wired tether with my laptop to give the laptop internet access.

My question is, if I pick up the wi-fi model only, can I use pdanet and the wired tether between the Xoom and the EVO to give 3G access to the Xoom.

I am not interested in rooting. If the above does not work, are there any other options other than paying $29 to sprint to enable the hotspot on the EVO or purchasing the 3G Xoom and paying for a data plan with Verizon.

Thanks

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Probably won't be able to wired, but you should be able to tether using bluetooth and pdanet; I can with my 3g using a droid2 and pdanet for Verizon connect.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
PDAnet won't work with the xoom on wireless because it sets up an ad-hoc wireless network and the xoom doesn't support ad-hoc.

Thanks. That is what I've learned. Will it work via a wired connection though? I will probably just break down and get the sprint hotspot, which is not ad-hoc.

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That is what I've learned. Will it work via a wired connection though? I will probably just break down and get the sprint hotspot, which is not ad-hoc.

No, at least I haven't been able to get it to. As I said though, works like a champ via Bluetooth.

syu78

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having issues using PdaNet Bluetooth tether with my Thunderbolt and Xoom. I can get both devices to pair, but cannot get them to connect to each other. Any ideas?

ryken229

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having issues using PdaNet Bluetooth tether with my Thunderbolt and Xoom. I can get both devices to pair, but cannot get them to connect to each other. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issues with my Xoom and Fascinate. Anybody know how to get these to connect via bluetooth?

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep, run pdanet on the phone and bluetooth pair; couldn't be simpler.:)

OK, still trying to figure this out. On my EVO, I have pdanet. I hit "Enable Bluetooth DUN". The EVO and Xoom are paired, however they both say "Paired but not connected" and the Xoom is not getting out to the network via the EVO

I'm missing a step somewhere.

And thanks for your help.

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, still trying to figure this out. On my EVO, I have pdanet. I hit "Enable Bluetooth DUN". The EVO and Xoom are paired, however they both say "Paired but not connected" and the Xoom is not getting out to the network via the EVO

I'm missing a step somewhere.

And thanks for your help.

On the Xoom - did you turn wifi (and Mobile Networks if 3g) off??? Then on the Xoom after bluetooth paired go to Wireless Networks, Bluetooth settings, and click on Paired devices and if it says paired but not connected just click on the little bluetooth symbol next to the wrench to connect.

Last edited:

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, wi-fi is off and still cannot tether. I have pdanet v.2.45 installed on both my wi-fi Xoom and my EVO.

I think it only needs to be installed and run on the EVO and simply Bluetooth paired to the Xoom ........ understand my Xoom is 3G and my phone a Droid2, but that shouldn't make a difference since Wifi and Mobile Networks are turned off ......

Last edited:

Trancebear

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
On the Xoom - did you turn wifi (and Mobile Networks if 3g) off??? Then on the Xoom after bluetooth paired go to Wireless Networks, Bluetooth settings, and click on Paired devices and if it says paired but not connected just click on the little bluetooth symbol next to the wrench to connect.

My Xoom has no bluetooth symbol next to the wrench. I usually hit the name of my phone and it just connects but that does not happen.

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My Xoom has no bluetooth symbol next to the wrench. I usually hit the name of my phone and it just connects but that does not happen.

If you are paired , under the name of your phone it should say either "Paired but not connected" or "Connected" - if not I'd run Pdanet on the phone with bluetooth on and the pairing sequence again .....

Otherwise I'm out of ideas :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01