Estimated tablet sales Xoom vs iPad

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Xoom - Around 100K (rumored). I'd be inclined to believe it with all the stuff coming out from Moto and other outlets about sales being less than favorable

Only 100,000 Motorola XOOM tablets sold so far, Deutsche Bank claims | BGR

iPad 2 - 2.4 - 2.6 Million. Apple can't keep up with the demand.

iPad 2 shipments total 2.4-2.6 million units so far, report claims | BGR

You all can call those millions sheep all you want (kinda hypocritical since many here are sheep for Android, but anyway) but I'm pretty sure Moto wish they had that kind of "sheep".

What are your thoughts about Xoom sales? If these numbers are even in the ballpark, why so bad?

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
does your analysis tell me why when i am on the ipad w/i any application and i get an email, nothing tells me that i got an email? like i am living in 1932.

just curious.

Reactions: eyecon82

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
does your analysis tell me why when i am on the ipad w/i any application and i get an email, nothing tells me that i got an email? like i am living in 1932.

just curious.

Sure doesn't. But I'm assuming the millions of people buying them probably don't really care. iOS notifications are horrendous. Have been for years. Doesn't stop them from selling millions and millions at release. Don't get snappy with me. Get snappy with those that don't buy the Xoom. There are a lot so it shouldn't be too hard to find some of them.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The iPad 2 is under going much of the same phenomenon that happened the iPhone 3G. The iOS tablet is well established and had a plethora of apps. The xoom is much like the G1, which starts slow and then rapidly gains speed.

Right now honeycomb is just starting, but for the first time a major android release has occurred without being tied to a data plan. I expect that android 3.0 tablet sales will take off shortly. I would also like to point out that android has a killer app that iOS does not have, and likely won't have: a file system. In my mind this makes tablets running honeycomb a valid replacement for net books and very elegantly bridge the gap between smartphones and laptops.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the Xoom sales are simple.

I really like mine and am getting great use out of it. It was well worth the money and don't have a single regret on the purchase. I don't care what the other 99,999 Xoom users think nor the 2.4M iPad2 users.

The value I place in things is determined by the use they give me, not the number of people who I can say also have the same thing as me.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Android on phones started off kind of slow as well and look where it is now. I also think that sales will pick up once Honeycomb gets more established and more tablets come out.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to point out that android has a killer app that iOS does not have, and likely won't have: a file system.

I?ll gladly trade you 5 file system apps for one working Netflix app?

In any case, Android doesn?t need to worry about marketing just yet. They need to worry about getting the dumb SD card to work, the force closes to stop, etc. etc.

Honestly, the Xoom by itself can?t compete with an ipad. But a store display showing 5 or 6 different android tablets, each with unique features can and will in a couple of months.

-Suntan

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
The iPad is so common that its not really cool or unique to have one. I find it so hilarious when yet another friend of mine gets one and is so excited they want to show me all its features. Of course, I already know all its features and so does everyone else in the country that has a pulse. I politely pretend to be interested as they show me iTunes, email, safari etc. "oooooohhhh", "wwooowww" I say. I am a good friend. :)

The Xoom on the other hand is unique, very different, and people have a natural curiosity about it. It's kind of the bad boy brother of the iPad whose parents have disowned him and you'd much go out drinking with.

In a few years when Android tablets outnumber iPads it will be a different story, but for now revel in your ability to Think Different.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What a load of crap. Another unsubstantiated claim from a sell-side brokerage analyst with no direct knowledge. The analyst is inferring the number sold from data from the Android developer site. Let's wait to see what Moto has to say at its next quarterly earnings update.

Nice trolling attempt - must be a slow day at the iPad forums.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
How does this work. Wasnt the Xoom released in Late Feb. If so then how does this "Motorola Mobility has sold 100,000 Motorola XOOM units through the tablet’s first two months of availability" hold up? that would make two months end later in april? I wouldnt be surprised if these numbers were the first month of sales excluding WiFi at a new price point

Last edited:

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
we all knew that Xoom won't come close to ipad sales. And yet like many Xoom owners, I don't care. Mainly because Xoom is capable of.much more than ipad. I had an ipad but it didn't work for me. Xoom on the other hand, well you will have to pry it from cold dead hands.

And when android first came out it didn't sell well either but now there are more android activations per day than there are babies born a day in US.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

In any case, Android doesn?t need to worry about marketing just yet. They need to worry about getting the dumb SD card to work, the force closes to stop, etc. etc.

Honestly, the Xoom by itself can?t compete with an ipad. But a store display showing 5 or 6 different android tablets, each with unique features can and will in a couple of months.

-Suntan

I am going to stick to the file system being the killer app. Why? Because I can actually manage my Xoom like a real computer. In addition multiple applications can open files and folders and I am not limited to using one application like on the iPad. In addition, with the first system I can plug my Xoom into another computer and quickly transfer files. There is an incredible amount of utility there.

I still would love a Netflix application though. ;)

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think the better question, comparison or analysis would be to look at the sales figures for the most comparable iPad 2 to the Xoom 3G. I wonder how many of the comparable iPad 2 tablets have been sold to the 100k of the Xoom. Thoughts??

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If these numbers are wrong, Motorola will jump in to dispute them. They actually have an obligation to stockholders to dispel bad information.

What we do know is that you can find lots of Xooms in stock everywhere but I don't know any retailer with iPad 2's in stock.

At $599, the WiFi Xoom did not have long lines waiting.
At $499, it could have matched the iPad 2's price.
At $399, it could have matched the original iPad's price.
At $349, the Xoom could have matched the refurb iPad price.

At $299, the Xoom would have had people waiting in lines to buy it.

If you are going to go after the established market leader you beat them on every spec and undercut their price. That is how Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan did it.

The Xoom beat the original iPad on every spec but price.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If these numbers are wrong, Motorola will jump in to dispute them. They actually have an obligation to stockholders to dispel bad information.

No, they actually don't have any such obligation. That should have been made clear to everyone by the run-away bad press and the stock dive for about 5 weeks prior to release and Mot kept their mouth shut. The marketing VP is in over his head. He came from Harrods, an upper crust luxury department store based in London. Zero electronics experience. He hasn't a clue.

What we do know is that you can find lots of Xooms in stock everywhere but I don't know any retailer with iPad 2's in stock.

Demand is certainly high for iPad2. Nobody predicted Apple demand would decline. But you are in such a rush to hug Apple that you're overlooking the mind boggling devastation in Japan, aren't you?

"The aftermath of the Japanese earthquake may cause logistical disruptions and supply shortages in Apple Inc.'s iPad 2, which employs several components manufactured in the disaster-stricken country -- including a hard-to-replace electronic compass, the battery and possibly the advanced technology glass in the display," IHS iSuppli said in a statement.

Several key components for the iPad2 come from factories that, as of today, are still shut down.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site

At $599, the WiFi Xoom did not have long lines waiting.
At $499, it could have matched the iPad 2's price.
At $399, it could have matched the original iPad's price.
At $349, the Xoom could have matched the refurb iPad price.

At $299, the Xoom would have had people waiting in lines to buy it.

If you are going to go after the established market leader you beat them on every spec and undercut their price. That is how Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan did it.

The Xoom beat the original iPad on every spec but price.

Moto simply hasn't kept up with the marketing hype it started with the Superbowl ads. Go into Best Buy and the Xoom is stuck back by the net books. The iPads are on an end cap with signage. No brainer as to what the avg consumer is going to look at, no matter the price point. They are simply buy what they see on TV, at their friends house or work and what is sitting on the very visible end cap.

I just hope the tablet market grows as the phones have so the developers will keep bringing the Android market apps specific to Honeycomb. When not tied to a cell provider where it was Android phones on every carrier at any price from free to $200 the tablet segment could be a bit slower to grow.

Love, like, hate or despise Apple they are a marketing force that drives sales like very few brands do. Android is left for the individual manufacturers to drive the advertising dollars. Very different approaches, and very, very different advertising budgets between Apple and all the various companies.

fastewa

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
For Q1 2011, Motorola reportedly placed orders for about 700,000 to 800,000 units of the Motorola Xoom, in four color options. Taiwan's shipments for this quarter are expected to meet upstream component suppliers' forecast. More specifically, shipments reached 200,000 units in February, and Motorola placed orders for about 200,000 units for the first half of March. Shipments for the rest of the month should reach somewhere between 400,000 and 500,000, according to sources from upstream suppliers cited by DigiTimes.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
We need to see some more sell through. Hopefully the wifi release will jump start things a bit. Not hoping to see critical mass that the Ipad has.... but more than we have now would be nice.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
For the record, I am an Apple hater. And I think Xoom orders began in January.

Do you have the link for the article on Motorola's parts orders?

It is one thing to plan on 200,000 units and sell 100,000 units. It is an entirely different matter if you ordered nearly 700,000 units only sold 100,000.

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan

Netflix won't come to Android until the people who run Netflix get a brain, it makes you wonder what is up with this whole DRM BS, like seriously who is going to record a movie off their tablet? I can do it on my PC and I can still down it on a iPad 2 by connecting the HDMI to my HDMI capture card or HD PVR.