Just played with a friend's zoom

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
And it seemed really laggy. I do like honeycomb though. Definitely not as smooth as the iPad. Hopefully some updates will fix the lagging.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
please....to say there is "no lag" ever is BS. My iPad2 even has stutters once in a while and my Xoom definitely had more lag than my iPad 2. The xoom is a great device, but cmon.

The xoom definitely stutters once in a while...especially when you JUST turn it on and swipe across screens...of course it does, it has a lot more on the screens/widgets/live wallpaper, but please dont even try to say its the same as the iPad 2. Still love my xoom, but I'll be honest.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The xoom gets laggy after a couple days if it doesnt get a reboot. Honeycomb is still young so hopefully that will be fixed, but for now a reboot every couple of days should keep the xoom generally speedy. There is lag sometimes such as when many apps are open, or if an unoptimized or poorly written app is freezing. But under typical medium usage the xoom runs speedy.

Mkiller82

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have had my wifi XOOM for a week now and I barely let my grip loosen on it. I like it. Its fun to play with while sitting in parking lots waiting for customers. I haven't experienced any lag at all doing anything.

-I Tapatalk on my XOOM

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
please....to say there is "no lag" ever is BS. My iPad2 even has stutters once in a while and my Xoom definitely had more lag than my iPad 2. The xoom is a great device, but cmon.

The xoom definitely stutters once in a while...especially when you JUST turn it on and swipe across screens...of course it does, it has a lot more on the screens/widgets/live wallpaper, but please dont even try to say its the same as the iPad 2. Still love my xoom, but I'll be honest.

Well, I feel no lag on mine. Just like you've mentioned, when you first start up, it might be "laggy" (just like me when I wake up), but after it settles down, it's fine.

I can play on my app drawer all day long with no lag. Just like on the iPad, you're pretty much going thru the "app drawer" anyway. Which is what the iPad homescreen is, an "app drawer". On the Android (honeycomb for example), you have widgets, live wallpaper, folders (folder that make sense), etc.

I still love my iPad too, but I'll be honest, saying the xoom is laggy is just not true.

Oh, and talk about lag, my Viewsonic Gtablet, now that's laggy (a bit better after flashing, but still laggy). LOL.

Anyway, Honeycomb is great OS. I can't wait for it to mature.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
any device would be laggy right on startup. Even a computer would lag on startup because the device didn't have time to fully load all components.

Except small lag on startup, mine doesn't lag at all.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Xoom for weeks and have yet to experience any lag... and that's no BS. I use my Xoom non-stop and have never experienced any issues with the Xoom at all. My Xoom has always done what I've asked it to do... call me lucky I guess.

Correction... I did have one small thing... the only issue I've had was tied to the AccuWeather app not updating the widget on my home screen, so I uninstalled it and moved on... can't blame that on Google, Android, Motorola or the Xoom.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I was playing with a display unit at a VZW store at the mall the other day and I was surprised at how laggy it was. I've tried them out at other places without much if any lag, so I'm wondering what the variables may be that cause this.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If you are trying a display model, do a forced reboot on it. Hold power button and volume up button at same time until it reboots. Then try it out, unless someone installed incompatible apps on it, this should help.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

"Honest" for you.

I'll be "honest" and tell you I have no lag. I'm assuming "lag" means delayed response to gestures and taps.

Assuming everyone is being honest here, and assuming there is no differences between hardware, it's a matter of some software variable which is making some of our units "laggy" and some not.

We have three XOOMs in our home (wife, son, and me). Mine is full of biz files and apps generally aimed at enterprise. My son's is filled with games, Docs to Go for school work, and social networking apps. My wife's XOOM is almost as it came out of the box, because she barely uses it.

Just checked all three. No lag. If I switch home pages with as fast a stroke as I can, it starts the move then halts and slips back to the home page I was on. ... but I'm talking about a ridiculous stroke speed.

So either you are full of it, I'm full of it, or neither one of us is full of it and it's app related.

I've considered it at great length and determined you are full of it.
Just kidding. ;-)

BTW, we all turn off our XOOMs every night, so there may be something to the idea of rebooting regularly.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I think people define lag differently. For me its anything the Xoom hesitates, whether it is a tap, a swipe, or anything.

The Xoom definitely has hesitations, and that is lag. Even someone before said that his Xoom has no lag, yet he knows it hesitates a bit when he turns it on for a while until it is ready to go. That is, to me, lag.

Look, I love my Xoom a lot, and am in the process of selling my ipad 2 in favor of the Xoom, but I can admit it can slow down sometimes.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes you should try not powering it down for a couple of days and you will see a bunch of lag.

On the contrary, if the device is laggy, you should try powering it down every couple of days and you will not see lag.

No "computer" does well if you insist on never rebooting it.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes you should try not powering it down for a couple of days and you will see a bunch of lag.

Um... yeah... I'll get right on that! ;-)

And what happens if the lag doesn't go away when I do power it down!?!?!

Nah... I've got it good. From what I'm reading, I've dodged so many potential bullets already... and on all three of our units.

I'm not rocking any boats. ;-)

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think people define lag differently. For me its anything the Xoom hesitates, whether it is a tap, a swipe, or anything.

The Xoom definitely has hesitations, and that is lag. Even someone before said that his Xoom has no lag, yet he knows it hesitates a bit when he turns it on for a while until it is ready to go. That is, to me, lag.

Look, I love my Xoom a lot, and am in the process of selling my ipad 2 in favor of the Xoom, but I can admit it can slow down sometimes.

You clearly don't believe some people have no lag. My job has me traveling a lot to our clients. Many of them show up at meetings with the iPad2. We invariably compare units. My XOOM wins on just about all fronts. Starting an app... my XOOM mostly wins, but it's always very close. Opening a large document... XOOM wins, no contest. Browsing internet pages... XOOM wins, no contest. Remind me where this lag is?

The time to screen switch when turning it on it's side is not "lag". It's pretty clear that's the intention of the designers. The sensors clearly work in real time because we can play games (with fantastic response) that rely on them. So clearly, it's not a case of not being able to recognize the turn quickly.

I can appreciate what the engineers had in mind for what I call the "Are you sure?" period before flipping the screen. I'm often on a plane and tip the unit momentarily to get something. Upon righting myself, my eyes can go directly to where I left off without watching the screen flip this way and that. This "intentional lag" makes total sense if you think of it as a user interface / screen tip issue, rather than simply comparing it to the iPad2. IMHO, too many people don't consider real world situations and how it should be done. Instead, all they think about is how the iPad does it, as if that's they defined how it should be done and it can't be done any other way. Ridiculous!

If you want to call something like the screen swap delay a "lag", explain exactly how it inconveniences the user. You may as well complain the XOOM doesn't come in white, because the iPad2 comes in white... therefore all tablets should come in white or they are clearly inferior.

As for anything else being a lag. I don't experience it. Not on any one of our XOOMs. The moment we swipe, the screen sweeps immediately with our finger. The moment we tap on an app, that app opens. It doesn't miss a swipe. It doesn't miss a tap. The only time I can get it to miss on either is if I speed up my swipe or tap to a truly ridiculous pace. Even then, at a ridiculously fast pace, the screen will sweep completely. Most of the time, though, it starts to sweep then halts and slips back to the screen I was on.

I'm attributing this to luck, because unlike yourself, I'm not ready to say everyone claiming a different experience is full of it.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
chill out dude. I never said the lag when swiping was a big deal...if it was why would I be selling my ipad 2.

Sheesh seriously android owners are just as defensive as iOS owners. While the lag when swiping is not really a huge deal, it is annoying sometimes when you are trying to get something done in an instant.