1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Watching DVR shows from 10k+ feet in the air... joy.

I'm on a USAir flight back from Vegas right now and just finished one episode of The Event... now on to last week's Top Gear. Sure it isn't high res and there's an occasional hiccup, but yes, it can be done on the Xoom! Google Talk video chat also works...

Crazy to think how many layers... GoGo In flight Wifi to Timewarner ISP to home router to 5ghz Wifi bridge to HD Slingbox to office DVR to bedroom DVR (pulling shows via "multi-room"). Viva la technologia!!

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Lol, awesomesauce!
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

I did the exact same thing earlier today.

Love my XOOM and my slingbox.
    Last edited by DanH; 04-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redenbacher

Quote Originally Posted by skelzer View Post
    I'm on a USAir flight back from Vegas right now and just finished one episode of The Event... now on to last week's Top Gear. Sure it isn't high res and there's an occasional hiccup, but yes, it can be done on the Xoom! Google Talk video chat also works...

Crazy to think how many layers... GoGo In flight Wifi to Timewarner ISP to home router to 5ghz Wifi bridge to HD Slingbox to office DVR to bedroom DVR (pulling shows via "multi-room"). Viva la technologia!!
    Awesome !
    I write about all my personal projects. love to write and make videos, and I upload a crapload to flickr. game reviews, demos, how tos. love it, check it out at BooyaGadget.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Posting from the air? LOL, sounds like and AC addict in the making! Good form.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

kudos to you man, I am still trying to decide on the Xoom or the Transformer. Had the iPad 2 and was extremely disappointed with all the hype behind it.

Ok, i think it may be time for me to break down and buy a Slingbox. Ive been pulling downloaded stuff via PlayOn, but being able to hit up the Tivo would rock.

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Wow that is sweet! I really want a sling box HD but its hard to convince the wife when it costs 300 beans. I found it for 250 on Amazon but still pricey. I wonder how good is the streaming HD quality on the xoom? I know it depends on your upload at home and download where you are. Anyone try this?

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Nevermind slingbox isn't for me. I use HDMI from my cable box to my receiver then out to my TV. The only way to hook up the slingbox is component into then out of slingbox. You cannot have HDMI going to receiver then just a component to the slingbox. The video signal has to pass through sling box to work. I paid too much money On my receiver and TV to down grade to 1080i component video. Slingbox is great idea but is help back from being HDMI by all the hdcp control. Oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    Nevermind slingbox isn't for me. I use HDMI from my cable box to my receiver then out to my TV. The only way to hook up the slingbox is component into then out of slingbox. You cannot have HDMI going to receiver then just a component to the slingbox. The video signal has to pass through sling box to work. I paid too much money On my receiver and TV to down grade to 1080i component video. Slingbox is great idea but is help back from being HDMI by all the hdcp control. Oh well..
    Depends on the receiver. My Direct TV HD DVR has zero issues feeding both the HDMI cable and the component at the same time. I can watch at the same time, just not different channels. As for my SA 8300 HD cable box, no, it will only feed one or the other.

For who ever is looking for a Slingbox, the Solo vs Pro HD is only a matter of how many devices you want to hook up. Both use component and stream HD. The Pro HD is nice if your hiokimg up say a DVR, Tiva and such, but for a single connection the Solo can be had for $150 or less if you search on EBay or my choice of Craigslist which I found one for $75 bucks.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I have a slingbox but I can't get my xoom to connect via the slingbox website.

Do I have to buy the slingbox app to be able to use my xoom with my slingbox?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Yes, I did.