Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Default noob question about gps

Okay I have a wifi xoom my question is the gps doesn't need 3g or wi-fi to work right thank you for your help
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mellex View Post
    Okay I have a wifi xoom my question is the gps doesn't need 3g or wi-fi to work right thank you for your help
    GPS will work by itself but you'll need a data connection to download map data. (Unless you're using an app that downloaded all of this info already)
    Thanked by:
    mellex 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    GPS will work by itself but you'll need a data connection to download map data. (Unless you're using an app that downloaded all of this info already)
    Thank you

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    +1. There are some apps that claim to cache maps locally. I don't know how well they work in real life.

Locus seems to be the best out there for using the gps without an active data connection. The PRO version cost money, but there's a free version that you can try.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

I haven't try it since I tether my phone for data, but the reviews are all 5 star, so it must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    +1. There are some apps that claim to cache maps locally. I don't know how well they work in real life.
    Copilot for 5 dollars is a steal and it stores maps locally

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

Used my wifi Xoom GPS on Friday - I knew where I was headed so Google mapped then selected navigation before leaving work. I pulled away from work and wifi and was directed all the way with the maps and spoken directions. It was exactly what I had hoped for when I chose Xoom over the other tablets

Clarice

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

GPS on the Xoom is sick. I have always enjoyed Google maps on my DX, but the Xoom just takes it to a new level. The speed and size is perfect. Wish I traveled more or had the need for GPS more.

Google Maps does cache maps, but not completely. You can see yourself when zoomed out, but it doesn't cache anything more than that view, so you can't zoom in (unless you zoomed in while connected to data)