Pawned a couple things to buy the Xoom... regret it?/?

kanyewest

May 17, 2010
Visit site
so i was finally able to afford the wifi only Xoom, and i knew i wanted it over the ipad. Reason being, I have a HTC Evo and before that i had an HTC Hero.I've rooted them and flashed them with diferent roms,kernels, themes, and all that good stuff that we can do on our "open source" OS that IOS cannot. butttttttttttttt........
after playing with the Xoom for the past 2 days i kind of do not feel satisfied. Main reason for this is the apps.... i love using apps... Android seems to have less than 100 tablet optimized apps and that really sucks for me. its been a month and a half since the release of the xoom.

things making me want to keep it:
-sd card
-very customizible (if thats a word)
-i tethered to evo and it was blazing fast on 3g
-not wanting to be like everyone else that gets an ipad
-eventually i guess.. more free apps
-camera has led flash
-youtube app
etc...

and just because its freekin Android... (gotta love it)

things making me want to get an ipad2:
-currently has more apps
-even though it has lower resolution screen looks better
-faster response when flickin

advice??

ps.
how much longer till we get about 1000 apps?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I believe something like 5000 work good on the XOOM. Apps are nice and will come more with time. Not a problem for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There will probably be a wave of apps coming soon from all the developers who got started right as Honeycomb was released. For a freshly released OS, it's doing quite well IMO.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No. The main reason why you got the Xoom is because you have an Android Phone and Love Android. You cant have an Android phone and an Apple Tablet lol. Thats like owning a Windows Computer and a Macintosh Laptop. I just cant do it. At least for me anyways :X lol

I grew up in life on a Windows Computer. I will never change from Windows only because thats what I was used to from day one. With that being said, I cant have an Apple Macintosh computer........................or there phones and tablets. Its just embedded in me to stick with 1. Windows Phone? ehh, no go. Android? Plays friendly with Windows. Just ask Google. :)

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been using PCs since AT days, which is longer than many people here have been alive. Every time I look at an Apple display, I wish I were using an Apple product. Every time I use an Apple product, I'm reminded why I so strongly prefer the alternative environment(s) (DOS, Win, Android). The iPad2 display is killah, but that's all. You just have to do your homework on the hardware and make the (sometimes hard) choice among the alternative products. No piece of technology is perfect and none of them are really mature in this sector.

Reactions: SquintySteam

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
so i was finally able to afford the wifi only Xoom, and i knew i wanted it over the ipad. Reason being, I have a HTC Evo and before that i had an HTC Hero.I've rooted them and flashed them with diferent roms,kernels, themes, and all that good stuff that we can do on our "open source" OS that IOS cannot. butttttttttttttt........
after playing with the Xoom for the past 2 days i kind of do not feel satisfied. Main reason for this is the apps.... i love using apps... Android seems to have less than 100 tablet optimized apps and that really sucks for me. its been a month and a half since the release of the xoom.

-sd card
-camera has led flash
-youtube app
etc...

things making me want to get an ipad2:
-currently has more apps
-even though it has lower resolution screen looks better
-faster response when flickin

advice??

ps.
how much longer till we get about 1000 apps?

I've read that Honeycomb (read Xoom) accounts for about .2% of mobile devices that access the web so I'm thinking that developers aren't in a hurry to develop tablet apps that won't sell -- until there is a bigger customer base. I think you'll waiting until at least August for 1,000 true tablet apps (not just phone formatted apps that run on tablets).

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No. The main reason why you got the Xoom is because you have an Android Phone and Love Android. You cant have an Android phone and an Apple Tablet lol. Thats like owning a Windows Computer and a Macintosh Laptop. I just cant do it. At least for me anyways :X lol

I grew up in life on a Windows Computer. I will never change from Windows only because thats what I was used to from day one. With that being said, I cant have an Apple Macintosh computer........................or there phones and tablets. Its just embedded in me to stick with 1. Windows Phone? ehh, no go. Android? Plays friendly with Windows. Just ask Google. :)

To each their own, I grew up using Apple (IIe) computers and would never go to windows. That being said I don't have much interest in Apple mobile products besides the Classic iPod. I love android and it plays very well with my Mac, so hate on Apple all you want but they are doing just fine and they produce quality products that work.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a xoom, got an ipad 2, then back to xoom.

The apps I used most on the iPad 2 are pretty much available to me on the Xoom.

Equal to Ipad or better:
Pulse -> Check
CNN - > Check
Tweetdeck -> Check and better on Android cause it integrates Fbook so I can just use that app for all social media
iPod -> Google music player is equal to me.
iTunes Remote -> Check

These are aps that are similar:
Netflix: I use PlayOn and its great. Plus I can stream other TV stations AND the movies I have on my PC...from anywhere...that is awesome. I used PlayOn on my iPad2 to stream movies from my PC so figure might as well get the xoom.

mlb.tv -> kind of sucks that it won't play yet on the xoom, BUT you can actually use the flash player to play it. I can even play 4 games at once using my premium account. It is a little laggy setting it up, but once it was set up over wifi it streamed just fine. 4 games > 1

Xoom does better:
-Google Talk/Video chat -> my main chat client I use (pretty much the only one) and video chat so this was important to me
-Better gmail integration
-Widgets -> love widgets
-Emulators -> I know you can with the ipad, but I am honestly not THAT into rooting/JBreaking so the fact that you can do that stuff out of the box on the xoom was great
-notifications -> big and this has been talked about to death
-multitasking UI -> much better for me
-Browser ->tabbed browsing is amazing....integrate that with syncing with desktop chrome and chrome to phone and this is one convenient browser

ipad does better:
Screen is better on the ipad no dispute. BUT if you aren't comparing them side by side the Xoom still looks fine. Its like yea, my Supra is one fine looking car...but then stick it next to a Lambo and well....it looks kinda ****ty

TimeWarner Cable: I'll admit this was convenient, but I don't really miss it.
Some "neat" apps: Garage band -> I bought this and it was cool and I can definitely see the use for a real musician maybe, but I play the piano and I'd rather just sit at my real piano than the ipad. It was just a "look how cool it is"

Point and click adventure games: I thought I would really be using this a lot, but didn't really.
Video encoding: been talked about.

Reactions: silvra7

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
-sd card
-camera has led flash
-youtube app
etc...

What did you use to do the tethering? Stock or Custom ROM, bluetooth or wifi?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Many of the apps you are used to on an android phone that don't work (well or at all) *cough* Facebook *cough* aren't really necessary anyway because the xoom has a true web experience -- something I pad still isn't quite on par with yet

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Flash is a reason to keep honeycomb IMO. I have used flash several times while working on my Xoom. I am a medical student and I use question banks a lot to prepare for tests. Well it turns out the several run only in flash. If I had the iPad, I would have been SOL.

The web on honeycomb is a full web experience. I am not saying flash is perfect, but the fact is that flash is present on the majority of websites and it is nice to have the option to view those websites as intended.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Flash is a reason to keep honeycomb IMO. I have used flash several times while working on my Xoom. I am a medical student and I use question banks a lot to prepare for tests. Well it turns out the several run only in flash. If I had the iPad, I would have been SOL.

The web on honeycomb is a full web experience. I am not saying flash is perfect, but the fact is that flash is present on the majority of websites and it is nice to have the option to view those websites as intended.

Exactly, and it actually peforms better on the xoom than it does on a lot of netbooks.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a xoom, got an ipad 2, then back to xoom.

The apps I used most on the iPad 2 are pretty much available to me on the Xoom.

Equal to Ipad or better:
Pulse -> Check
CNN - > Check
Tweetdeck -> Check and better on Android cause it integrates Fbook so I can just use that app for all social media
iPod -> Google music player is equal to me.
iTunes Remote -> Check

These are aps that are similar:
Netflix: I use PlayOn and its great. Plus I can stream other TV stations AND the movies I have on my PC...from anywhere...that is awesome. I used PlayOn on my iPad2 to stream movies from my PC so figure might as well get the xoom.

mlb.tv -> kind of sucks that it won't play yet on the xoom, BUT you can actually use the flash player to play it. I can even play 4 games at once using my premium account. It is a little laggy setting it up, but once it was set up over wifi it streamed just fine. 4 games > 1

Xoom does better:
-Google Talk/Video chat -> my main chat client I use (pretty much the only one) and video chat so this was important to me
-Better gmail integration
-Widgets -> love widgets'
-Emulators -> I know you can with the ipad, but I am honestly not THAT into rooting/JBreaking so the fact that you can do that stuff out of the box on the xoom was great
-notifications -> big and this has been talked about to death
-multitasking UI -> much better for me
-Browser ->tabbed browsing is amazing....integrate that with syncing with desktop chrome and chrome to phone and this is one convenient browser

ipad does better:
Screen is better on the ipad no dispute. BUT if you aren't comparing them side by side the Xoom still looks fine. Its like yea, my Supra is one fine looking car...but then stick it next to a Lambo and well....it looks kinda ****ty

TimeWarner Cable: I'll admit this was convenient, but I don't really miss it.
Some "neat" apps: Garage band -> I bought this and it was cool and I can definitely see the use for a real musician maybe, but I play the piano and I'd rather just sit at my real piano than the ipad. It was just a "look how cool it is"

Point and click adventure games: I thought I would really be using this a lot, but didn't really.
Video encoding: been talked about.

lol.. That is true, great analogy! Once I got past that fact I've been very happy with the Xoom. While the screen matters, the other benefits of the OS outweigh the nicer screen. Again with Apple, form over function vs function over pretty looks on the Xoom.