Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Default Doing anything with Xoom has become a chore

My Xoom was lightning fast when I first got it. It was a pleasure to use. It is now frustrating to do just about anything on it. Very slow, programs not responding, just generally glitchy.

This is not limited to 1 application. I am a pretty basic user. Almost exclusively internet browsing, email, twitter, etc.

The browser is often very slow. Not all the time, but most of the time. Like over a minute to load a website. Any website. It also crashes on me fairly routinely.

Even something as basic as updating apps in Android Market is extremely slow and sometimes doesn't work.

Any ideas what's going on here? Anyone else experience this? I want my Xoom of the first few weeks back.
    Thanked by:

Check your wifi, clear your caches, and just do a restart.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Have you tried to restart it? Do this by holding down the power button for about 3 seconds then it'll ask you on-screen.

Once a week, I go to manage apps/all apps, & go through every app & clear the cache out of every one. You'd be surprised at all the cache the browser alone will have in it!!

Reset will do the trick.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

If rooted check out cache cleaner in the market. Awesome app to clean daily with one click.

Sent by Xoom
    Thanked by:
    LMO 
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

I power cycle (turn it off then on) every few days. Keeps my Xoom zooming. This is not a big deal. I just do it when I charge it every other night or so.

Lets hope a MR fixes these issues.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

I usually power my xoom off each night. Am I the only one that does this?
    TDR

I don't power cycle my devices, but I'm forced to reboot the Xoom pretty often due to the volume getting stuck on max and the occasional failure to come out of sleep.

Annoying, but that's a version 1 product for ya.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Stock

I returned my Xoom today and got the Galaxy Tab. I just couldn't stand the bugginess of it. The browser was glitchy and there are jot a lot of apps available for it that I use. I'm glad I did. While this is a Samsung product and everyone knows about the lack of support that Samsung gives to its products this is more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    If rooted check out cache cleaner in the market. Awesome app to clean daily with one click.
    Oh good! I was waiting to hear someone say whether the cache cleaners work on the Xoom. I use it on my Droid X and it works great. I will have to put it on the Xoom now. Thanks!

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's still fast for me, have about 80 apps... browser still crashes like crazy, that NEEDS to be fixed, I need Google to make this browser REALLY fast, it is but it's just SO buggy, and the UA string needs to be fixed too. Still, I don't know how its slow for you. Mine is fast when it isn't crashing.

Sent from my Xoom
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    It's still fast for me, have about 80 apps... browser still crashes like crazy, that NEEDS to be fixed, I need Google to make this browser REALLY fast, it is but it's just SO buggy, and the UA string needs to be fixed too. Still, I don't know how its slow for you. Mine is fast when it isn't crashing.

Sent from my Xoom
    Rooting you can fix the ua string and only load full sites all the time. Also a kernal fixed the browser crash for me. Also gave me over clock, USB support and a working SD card.

Sent by Xoom

Not rooted here and I have yet to see the browser crash. Does it crash on a certain action? Do u maybe have the experimental quick controls enabled and those cause it?

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Quote Originally Posted by ravizzle View Post
    Not rooted here and I have yet to see the browser crash. Does it crash on a certain action? Do u maybe have the experimental quick controls enabled and those cause it?
    I have seen it crash if it is loading an intensive website with lots of flash. I think androidcentral forums have crashed it once too.
    TDR

I agree that Flash seems to be the leading culprit of Browser crashes. There's still quite a bit of lag in places, seems like the hardware acceleration isn't fully baked yet. I'm still pretty pleased with the overall experience though.

The Nexus S was seriously unstable at launch, but a couple of updates later it's solid. I'm sure the Xoom will be fixed up soon enough.

Ok I only use flash with tv shows stream, don't use flash other than that so that explains why I don't get crash.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Rooting you can fix the ua string and only load full sites all the time. Also a kernal fixed the browser crash for me. Also gave me over clock, USB support and a working SD card.

Sent by Xoom
    UA string always goes back to Android when I restart.... could you give me the kernel? I would love a much more stable browser.

Sent from my Xoom
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    UA string always goes back to Android when I restart.... could you give me the kernel? I would love a much more stable browser.

Sent from my Xoom
    Look at my full browser post in the root section. Just follow that and you will have the full browser and no need to use about debug. As for the kernel look at the sd card working post. That's the kernel im running. It can over clock to 1.5 has sd card working and usb working with external and flash drives.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    My Xoom was lightning fast when I first got it. It was a pleasure to use. It is now frustrating to do just about anything on it. Very slow, programs not responding, just generally glitchy.

This is not limited to 1 application. I am a pretty basic user. Almost exclusively internet browsing, email, twitter, etc.

The browser is often very slow. Not all the time, but most of the time. Like over a minute to load a website. Any website. It also crashes on me fairly routinely.
    I am having the same experience as the OP. The browser crashes constantly. Sometime it takes forever to load a website. Frequently it will take 2-3 touches to open a link. Even when a website does load, if there are several pictures on the website (such as the huffington post) it just won't load half of the pictures, and scrolling will be choppy and uneven. Text entry on the browser couldn't be slower. Zooming in on a website is terrible - it constantly changes and distorts so that it's not even worth it. Even using the bookmarks is frustrating. I open the bookmark list, scroll to the bottom, and then it jumps back to the top 2-3 times before it stabilizes. And I won't even get started on how obnoxious the UA string setting is.

I tried switching to Dolphin HD, but that browser crashes on a fairly frequent basis too. And honestly, I'm tired of having to try new apps to accomplish something the built in browser should be able to handle.

I appreciate the solutions people have posted in this thread, but what a headache. Clearing caches on a weekly basis and having to root your device just to get a half-decent experience?

I was a big fan of the Xoom. Pre-ordered and bought it on the first day. But now that the novelty has worn off, I'm just left frustrated.

I ran into a lot of problems similar to those mentioned here. I uninstalled Google Earth and Sky and found they mostly went away. Except for Dolphin HD crashing, but I'm pretty sure that one is the app's fault.

I have the same problems with the browser but usually its because i dont wait for the whole page to load.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Default First Adopters

Hey, We are first adopters.
    I have a Thunderbolt and Xoom. These are new and are bound to have some bugs. The only concern is whether Motorola and HTC get the updates out in a timely manor.
    Stephen
    The Incredible Nexus

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Look at my full browser post in the root section. Just follow that and you will have the full browser and no need to use about debug. As for the kernel look at the sd card working post. That's the kernel im running. It can over clock to 1.5 has sd card working and usb working with external and flash drives.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The one in your thread does that work for wifi only Xoom? Thanks for the help, will check this new kernel

Sent from my Xoom

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default I do that also.

Quote Originally Posted by robm15 View Post
    I usually power my xoom off each night. Am I the only one that does this?
    It is an old habit I have. Only my cell phone stays on all the time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast