Bought xoom now what!?!

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I never considered the IPAD or IPAD 2 because the idea of owning a larger version of my IPOD TOUCH *IMHO* turned me off.

So, I bought the Xoom last night and now I am like "now what"? Not being facetious or anything but seriously *Now what*? I want to make this thing fun so please advice. (I understand there are probably posts already on the forum but new information may exist)

Help me Optimize because I am not really a Android geek as of yet. :D

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Go through the "Optimized apps for Honeycomb" thread, browse through the market. Xoom is my first Android device as well, I found it best to just sit down and go through all menus/settings to figure out how everything works.

Reactions: wmoor004

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Read guides on optimizing the device and watch walkthroughs of the os on youtube. Also the ticks and tricks forum is great it has taught me new things and IV been using the 3g xoom since release. When you have done all that then explore unlocking your bootloader and flashing a custom kernel if you really want to get into it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you don't know what to do with it, odds are you really don't need it and just want to have the device because it's something new. Save your money and take the thing back. People need to stop buying stuff they don't need just to say they have it. If you're only going to use it for games and movies I don't really see the point in spending that amount of money. And if you don't know how to be productive then you didn't need and again, I don't see the point in spending that amount of money.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I said the same thing, I used to dl everything on my Nexus S, but now as soon as I get home I read my Google Reader, check Facebook, play SNES, NES, Genesis and even N64. It's not a giant iPod touch, this is far from that, iPods don't have flash anyways ;-)

Sent from my Xoom

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you don't know what to do with it, odds are you really don't need it and just want to have the device because it's something new. Save your money and take the thing back. People need to stop buying stuff they don't need just to say they have it. If you're only going to use it for games and movies I don't really see the point in spending that amount of money. And if you don't know how to be productive then you didn't need and again, I don't see the point in spending that amount of money.

There is always one in the crowd! SMH

After 22 Years in the military I buy what I want down to my11 CTS V! I am simply trying to get tips... Please offer constructive advice or none at all! bye bye

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
There is always one in the crowd! SMH

After 22 Years in the military I buy what I want down to my11 CTS V! I am simply trying to get tips... Please offer constructive advice or none at all! bye bye

You are right. If your not here to help don't bother posting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the new Xoom!! I've been having so much fun with mine and I use it constantly at home and work. Get an account setup on Amazon's app store and start downloading their free app per day. Get the Amazon MP3 app and get their free 5GB cloud storage for music and any files you want to store. If you buy a MP3 album they'll upgrade you for free to 20gb of storage for a year.

I've got all my Wordpress admins saved in the browser. I've added all by website email accounts to the email app. Buy Beautiful Widgets app on the Android Market... it is recently updated for the Xoom... and totally rocks!!

I've been having fun at the office with my team projects taking pics and videos. Whew, I could keep going on and on but might start boring you. ;)

The thing I'm doing is integrating the device into my lifestyle as an information consumption and content management device.

Again, congrats on the purchase and keep us posted on all your fun.

Oh, one last thought... checkout the OnStar app for your CTS-V. I sold my CTS and bought a 2010 2SS RS Camaro. :)

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase of the best freaking tablet out there. /fanboyism off.

1. Thumb Keyboard. I can't live without it, makes typing about 3 million times easier, faster and more enjoyable. Might take a while setting up, but well worth it.

2. Beautiful Widgets. It is a must-have. Also set up regular widgets. Most iPad users will tell you that widgets are useless, but that's only because they can't have them. Widgets makes life easier.

3. Pulse. If you like reading news without going into the browser every time.

4. Dolphin Mini, Opera, Dropbox, doubletwist with airsync, MoboPlayer

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
After picking up my Xoom on release day, I've started using it for more and more things... Some of the ways I use my Xoom

1) As an eReader - both in Google Books and Amazon's Kindle (Kindle works a little better. IMHO)

2) My primary information/media intake (twitter, facebook, CNN, Sports Illustrated, washington post, androidcentral, etc.)

3) DVR/Video - DroidTV and Amazon On-Demand Video (through the browser)

4) Productivity on the go - for work email, simple document viewing/editing (Documents to Go + Thumb Keyboard works well for this), access to our web-based applications, attend WebEx presentations (via Android WebEx client)

5) Online banking - although I could do this from my Droid, the browser and screen size of the Xoom makes this much better

6) Media Management (via Amazon Cloud Player) - manage all of my playlists on my Xoom - because of the Amazon player, they are accessible on all of my other devices

7) Short Attention Span gaming (never had the patience for any game that took too long to learn and play) - my current obsessions: Pool Break Pro (looks GREAT on Xoom), Virtual Table Tennis, Reckless Racing

8) Playing/Learning to play my Guitar - YouTube lessons, Guitar Tuner, Solo (guitar simulator), Ultimate-Guitar Tabs (both web and application)

I used to use my Droid and/or my laptop for most of these - now I just pick up my Xoom. I also intend to use my data plan and the Xoom's wifi hotspot capabilities to replace my $60/mth aircard contract for my laptop for the few times when I need the full power of my laptop outside of regular wifi access.

It seems like every few days I find a new use or another useful app... (about to explore Evernote, for example).

Happy Xooming!

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
DOCS to GO! What! Love it! Still need to get Amazon.

Hulu had bad bad reviews so I didnt get it.

OnStar Apps! Yes!

Banking Apps are great: BOA and USAA

I need to get more productivity apps.

Also - I am currently using the media player that came with the device - I will find a better one.

Oh, Looking for a good Bible App.

So far I am enjoying the device.

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase of the best freaking tablet out there. /fanboyism off.

1. Thumb Keyboard. I can't live without it, makes typing about 3 million times easier, faster and more enjoyable. Might take a while setting up, but well worth it.

2. Beautiful Widgets. It is a must-have. Also set up regular widgets. Most iPad users will tell you that widgets are useless, but that's only because they can't have them. Widgets makes life easier.

3. Pulse. If you like reading news without going into the browser every time.

4. Dolphin Mini, Opera, Dropbox, doubletwist with airsync, MoboPlayer

INSTALLED!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca