I just returned my Xoom =(

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just sent my Xoom back to Amazon. Now before I get bashed, for this, I want to say is that I LOVED this device! The HW was top of the line IMO, it was well built, stong, heavy and didn't feel cheap! I was using it for 6+ hours a day, got the Moto BT Keyboard, browsing the web, taking it to work. I found a use for everything with this tablet. But there are too many loose ends that were getting at me.

The Non open "open" source code-
This IS the greatest thing about the Android. Now to most main stream people, this part doesn't matter, they don't root or hack so why would an open source code matter? Because, nobody, and I mean nobody, can make the perfect code for any device, there will always be bugs. And when Google, Samsung, Moto, HTC, LG, etc. release a Source code, it not only lets people play with the software to tune it to what they feel their device should be, but it lets developers find the bugs, report it to the Manufacturer and hopefully have it get fixed in a future software update so we can enjoy our devices better. It's like when you type a paper (Source Code), and you need someone else's eyes (developers) to see the mistakes you made, no matter how good of a paper you typed, you need other people to look over it, help you fix it before you
hand it into your professor (the consumer). And with Google holding it back, nobody can look at the source code, and help fix the problems that are apparent, then it can't get fixed. Google NEEDS to get this out ASAP to help Honeycomb grow. And until it is open, it will take Google a while to push out updates that will help fix issue.

The Browser-
It was crashing on me, a lot. About 10 times a day. I would just be waiting for a page to load...and BAM crash. And the worst part about it, is that you can't send an error report to google for them to see why it crashed. Error reports are the only way we can send system info and data logs directly to the developer (may it be 3rd party or Google themselves). And the browser was the best and worst part of the Xoom, if I can use the browser, why would I want an app? Thats just my saying. If I wanted apps for every little thing, I would use the iReallyLikeMyBigiPodPad.

The Random reboots-
Idk why it just started all the sudden, I would root with Tiamat, unroot, take off the overclock, I tried everything. It would still reboot. It was getting annoying! Probably another thing that will be delayed to get fixed do to the closed source code.

Those are honestly the only things that got to me. I loved the games, the browser while it worked. the hardware felt great. I do love the Moto Build quality. Sorry for the long explanation, but I felt like saying all that instead of just saying it sucks, because it doesn't. I think I will just look for other options that will come out later this year, I love honeycomb and see the room for growth that will happen with it. And no worries, Im def not getting an iPad or Playbook, staying on Team Android!:D

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Your random rebooting was probably error using the Tiamat Kernel with setcpu. This will also affect the browser, causing multiple crashes.

I never have had reboots stock. Using new applications that are not updated properly will cause instability issues.

Most returns to Amazon require the product to not be opened.

The source code will be released once Google feels its ready. They have already cleared this up.

The purchase might have been to early. Its always hard to wait for great things.

Once I deleted setcpu and ran Droid overclock the Xoom has been solid @1400 ghz with zero reboots.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I took it off, I used the unroot tool, turned it back to stock. Reboots weren't happening as often, but were happening still.

And I called Amazon. They said as long as I had all the accessories, packaging, and it was in unharmed condition (Its been in a Moto gel case since day 1) it would be ok to return it even tho I had opened it.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The transformer looks like a too good to be true device. I would almost trust Samsung, over ASUS. But I wanna wait for multiple tablets to come out and see what happens. I saw that 7inch rugged Moto Tablet concept, so I'll be keeping my eye out for that.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Non open "open" source code-
Unfortunately, Google needs to exercise/implement some controls on Android. The fragmentation has reached critical mass... with every two bit flea-bag outfit trying to capitalize on the Android brand and putting out total crap.
Sorry, I can't buy into the rest of your analogies. That's not how the real world works. In the real world, you protect your branding and reputation for quality or you die. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's real life my friend. In the real world companies aggressively protect their IP, their branding, and their reputation. Until recently, Google could get away with no controls. The recent deluge of crappy hardware, crappy skins, etc... will weaken Android's appeal to the main population.

Google has benefited greatly from their open posture. I'd be very surprised if they abandon it completely, but stay tuned for tighter controls. It's a necessity. Their stock holders demand it.

The Browser-
It's the base platform for Honeycomb. The first of it's kind in hardware and software. You already admit nobody has the source. Yet you hack the heck out of your unit with the little that is available and complain it's not behaving like a seasoned champ.

I hack my phone six ways to Sunday, but I'm generally leaving my XOOM alone for now. Clearly, there is no established and reliable ecosystem yet. If I had an overwhelming desire to tinker, I'd buy a second XOOM and experiment 'till my heart was content. But I'd never dream of complaining that my experiment wasn't performing as good or better than a stock unit.

The Random reboots-
Same comment as above.

Bottom line: IMHO, you got in way too early. This is bleeding edge, not leading edge. There's a difference. Everything you wrote says you need an established and reliable ecosystem or you're not going to be happy. The good news is in a year from now you'll probably have most of what you want. Not all, but most of it... and probably enough to make you happy again.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
No need to wait for me. My xooms do just about everything I need them to do. No random reboots to date across any of my 3 xooms.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Outside of the fact that you put the Tiamat kernel on it, I can't see how you've got so many reboots. I've never had one. And I'm not fanboy exaggerating either. I've literally never had one reboot on my Xoom, and I've used it all day every day since I've gotten it.

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand that this device is new. It works well in my uses. no rooting for me though I understand why people would want to. my current decision is whether or not to return it for a 3G/4G version. Or maybe get a portable hotspot to make this puppy work everywhere. My workplace has implemented sucky blocking software. This gets me out from under that draconian effort.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a rooted Bolt yet I refuse to root my Xoom for this exact reason. Too much money is at stake to play around with it.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

Reactions: shemnon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech