bionic cancelled = bad news for us.

jayblazer

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting forever for the bionic to come out and now the latest info coming from almost all directions is that its cancelled.. and why is it cancelled? Because they can't get the tegra 2 chipset to work with lte.. if they can't do it on that phone why would they be able to do it on the xoom? What's your thoughts?

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My true thoughts are not printable. ;-)

The info you have is bogus. There is no reason on Earth why any processor can't work with a 4G communications peripheral. The question would be if it could keep up with the speed. The answer to that is "Of course it can." It's a 1GHz dual core. I've got clients running a 400MHz ARM9 acting as a bridge between 4G, high speed USB and a Zigbee smart energy profile. The ARM9 isn't even breathing heavy. The Tegra is based on ARM's Cortex A9 core. This core is well more than twice the throughput of the ARM9. It's like an ARM9 running at 2.5GHz... and maybe that's not giving it enough credit.

The 4G interface is a separate peripheral with it's own micro running the LTE communications stack. The host processor simply takes in the data stream. We're only talking about 100Mbps, which is only about 12 MBps... a ridiculously slow pace for a 1GHz A9 based processor. And the true data stream won't even come near that due to communications overhead, but that's a topic for another long message.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
If LTE never comes to my XOOM's it will not be the end of the world for my usage -- I have a TB Unlimited that works like a charm.

We do not yet know if the Bionic is cancelled -- Even the Panda in his last post seemed to have changed his story/mind a bit. It could very well be cancelled or delayed long enough that it's not relevant. If I had to choose between a 5GB limit XOOM LTE -- or a option to Tether LTE Unlimited I'd probably go with the later.

el_bori1

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
If LTE never comes to my XOOM's it will not be the end of the world for my usage -- I have a TB Unlimited that works like a charm.

We do not yet know if the Bionic is cancelled -- Even the Panda in his last post seemed to have changed his story/mind a bit. It could very well be cancelled or delayed long enough that it's not relevant. If I had to choose between a 5GB limit XOOM LTE -- or a option to Tether LTE Unlimited I'd probably go with the later.

Totally agree, I love the Xoom & ThunderBolt combination

Sent from my ThunderBolt

IamJAd

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
You know, if the iPad 2 was supposed to get 4G, and had some similar delay, we'd be laughing and pointing fingers and making Steve Jobs jokes.

...hell, I never miss an opportunity to make a Steve Jobs joke.

...but in reality, the Xoom was sold as a machine upgradeable to 4G. I believe they also said SD card support would come in 30 days. I know we haven't seen either-- yet. I know we will see both and in good time. But if it never were to come? Yeah... I'd be pissed.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know, if the iPad 2 was supposed to get 4G, and had some similar delay, we'd be laughing and pointing fingers and making Steve Jobs jokes.

...hell, I never miss an opportunity to make a Steve Jobs joke.

...but in reality, the Xoom was sold as a machine upgradeable to 4G. I believe they also said SD card support would come in 30 days. I know we haven't seen either-- yet. I know we will see both and in good time. But if it never were to come? Yeah... I'd be pissed.
Can you point at anything from Mot that suggested 4G or SD support in just 30 days after release?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance