how to watch legal movies and shows?

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
New xoom user here. Is there a way to rent or watch movies legally on the xoom? I am going on a plane trip and it would be nice to load some movies for the journey. Not interested in bit torrent or ripping software.

Also, I have a bunch of windows 7 media center files of TV shows. Any free programs to get them on the xoom?

Thanks

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a TiVo and transfer shows and movies I recorded to my desktop PC, and then to my XOOM. I Transferred 10 hours of shows the last time I traveled from the west coast to the east coast. The XOOM performed flawlessly. The flight lasted 6.5 hours, and I used my XOOM from the moment I was allowed to turn on portable electronic devices, until I had to turn it off. My battery was at 42% from a full charge.

I Love my XOOM for watching shows!

xoomfan

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
If you have amazon prime account you can watch many movies for free

I think Amazon prime instant video only provides streaming, so great if you have a good internet connection but no use if you are traveling.

The android platform is really missing a video solution where you can download media. This is one area that the apple platform does really well.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that you said legally. I believe that according to the DMCA we don't have any rights to the content on media or any other format really beyond expressly how they provide it to us. So simply put unless the Movie industry decides to encode movies in .mp4 for the xoom or other portable devices you pretty much don't have any choice but to do it illegally.

Regardless of how you get the original copy of the movie, I would suggest you look into an app called Media Show Expresso to convert the movie/TV Content to a compatiable format for the xoom. They might even create a profile for the xoom before to long so it is even easier.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
if you want i will take a little time to test some conversions for the xoom, and post the settings. Cyberlink is even fairly responsive when setting for a profile are submitted. The reason my copy of it has a preset for my Black Berry Bold is because I sumitted it to them.(well maybe not but i sent in what i used to do it and the next update the preset profile was there)

Suertetres

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought we were allowed to transfer media from device to device as long as its for our personal use. Example would be an mp3 we purchase or cd. We can make copies etc and transfer to different devices. I agree that I want to legally watch movies, and was under the assumption we could transfer from dvd to digital copy.

Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you read through the Digital Millenium Copyright Act it actually states that as a end user we are not allowed to manipulate the video in anyway. Or use the content in anyway not intended by the publisher. That means if they don't provide a digital copy then legally speaking you shouldn't have one as they didn't authorize it. I don't agree with it either.

I believe what you are thinking of is the Fair Use Act which is older. The jist of it is that you are allowed to backup and protect your content and use it as long as it is strictly for archive and backup purposes.

As an end user you would think that we should be able to take something once we purchase it and us

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If you dont mind streaming your windows7 mediacenter files, this can be accomplished with remote mediacenter from the market. You will ned to load additional software, but works fairly well with a good connection or wifi.

kurttrail

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
"Nothing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title." - DMCA

Sent from my Bolt.

Reactions: hemanp

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Mavrick, that would be awsome if you could make a profile for the xoom. Any noob guide would also be great.

Also, mavrricks comments regarding legal copying of movies is correct. Bottom line is that you are allowed to make copies of music but not videos or video games. It was a special carveout that the movie industry lobbyests got into the legislation.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you dont mind me asking Frank what are your epectations for video quality on the Xoom. I simply ask because it makes a big difference on the bitrate and resolution of the video I would suggest.

conlinlord

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a TiVo and transfer shows and movies I recorded to my desktop PC, and then to my XOOM. I Transferred 10 hours of shows the last time I traveled from the west coast to the east coast. The XOOM performed flawlessly. The flight lasted 6.5 hours, and I used my XOOM from the moment I was allowed to turn on portable electronic devices, until I had to turn it off. My battery was at 42% from a full charge.

I Love my XOOM for watching shows!

i want to know TiVo can't be played on Xoom. how do you transmit TiVo to Xoom for playing?

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i want to know TiVo can't be played on Xoom. how do you transmit TiVo to Xoom for playing?

First, I use TiVo Desktop Plus to transfer the shows to my desktop computer from my TiVo. And after the transfer is complete, I use it to automatically transcode the shows to a format compatible with my Xoom. I selected the iPad format, and it worked like a charm.

Once the show is transcoded I just use a USB cable to transfer the show to the Xoom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1