Can the Xoom act as a WiFi Hotspot?

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the 3G version of the Xoom have the ability to act as a WiFi hotspot so other computers can use its Internet connection? If so, is there an additional cost to be able to do so or is it just that the data downloaded goes against your pricing plan?

Thanks!
David

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does. Go into your settings and click on wifi then set up the hotspots. I just tried it out and it worked. I was told it free with the 3gb plan. When I set it up, it didn't warn me about a charge.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info. I don't have a Xoom yet but am heavily leaning towards buying one and wanted to confirm it would act as a hotspot.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I do this. I upgraded from the 1gb plan to the 3gb plan for $15.00 more and took the $20.00 tether plan off my phone. That way I saved $5.00 per month, and can use my Xoom more. Win for me.

ptowndude

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This was one of my big reasons for getting the xoom. Whatever Verizon plan you get, you can share that with your other devices via mobile hotspots wifi or tethered. I use this all the time. There is no additional cost above the $20/35/55 a month for 1/3/5 GB of data on your plan.

I don't download DVD, and I have yet to exceed 2Gb. I am in the NYC metro area, and ATT is flogged, so I needed something reliable.

If you tether your laptop to your xoom, you need to go to wake it up one an hour by surfing to a new page, or the wifi mobile hotspots goes to sleep.

And yes it my laptop VPN works via the xoom mobile hotspot.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Its ironic, my iPhone can connect to my xoom's hotspot, but the xoom can connect to my iPhone! Google needs to fix that!

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom comes with the hotspot feature. It is limited to the plan you have on it. WHen you have data on a droid, you get unlimited data with the unlimited plan. If you add tethering you get 5gb of data per month. WIth the Xoom or Galaxy tab, you get the data allowance of your plan and nothing else but hotspot does not cost extra. It is used from the same bucket.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63