Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google I/O announcements?

Hey everyone,

So, Google I/O is less than a week away and I know we are all hoping for some kind of Honeycomb announcement there, whether it be a 3.1 update, a small update, or some kind of new amazing features baked in. What are you guys hoping for? We know Google is going to demonstrate some stuff for Honeycomb, I just hope they exceed my expectations because right now I am pretty frustrated with my XOOM (laggy/buggy unless rebooted once a day).
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Hey everyone,

So, Google I/O is less than a week away and I know we are all hoping for some kind of Honeycomb announcement there, whether it be a 3.1 update, a small update, or some kind of new amazing features baked in. What are you guys hoping for? We know Google is going to demonstrate some stuff for Honeycomb, I just hope they exceed my expectations because right now I am pretty frustrated with my XOOM (laggy/buggy unless rebooted once a day).
    If you're laggy/buggy to the point of rebooting once a day I'd suggest some experiments with removing some apps. A lot of the problems I think we have now are from running apps that aren't really honeycomb compatible.

That being said, it'd be cool to have an update to the dalvik VM. I'm hoping an update that will constrain each app as far as memory usage goes and some updates to the code base in overall memory management for things like wifi and background update services.

Lets not forget, this is Google, so I do expect some bug fixes to be thrown in to a bunch of a feature rich updates - they are bound to have something up their sleeves.

I sincerely hope part of IO will be some dedicated time where Google will really stress to developers the proper way to develop honeycomb/phone applications. I think the best way to do this is to get them excited with updates to the SDK that make it worth it for them to code things 100%.

I'd also love to see some NDK love, running apps natively instead of in dalvik would probably provide a decent performance bonus as well as one less layer of memory/resource management.

Hey everyone,

I'm with you. I really loved my Xoom at first, but over time is has become more and more glitchy and I'm not referring to apps I've downloaded. It's alot of the stock stuff. I really want to keep my Xoom, but if they don't make some fixes soon it may go back to Costco before my 90 days is up.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I have my trial period which is ending next Monday. Do I keep it or return it? I am happy but would really like an update that will make it more stable. Do other honeycomb tablets have the same issues. If yes then I will wait but if not then might jump ships.

Quote Originally Posted by STEMALO View Post
    I have my trial period which is ending next Monday. Do I keep it or return it? I am happy but would really like an update that will make it more stable. Do other honeycomb tablets have the same issues. If yes then I will wait but if not then might jump ships.
    My guess is that it will happen on all Honeycomb tablets. The manufacturers so far haven't been adding much modification on top of honeycomb. I think we would have same issues with other products. I also really like the stylus on the Flyer.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

If you look around for the schedule PDF for I/O this year one of the first events is about Honeycomb

Hey everyone,

check your apps. I have had ZOOM since day 1 and rebooted two times.
    You have something spoiling your party and it is not honeycomb or XOOM operating system. remove then test all suspicious ones. turn off navigation and GPS as a test. what internet connection are you using? probably some program is reporting continuously to its mother ship and that needs to be removed.
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Wow. I would have to agree with Fred and Charismaman. I would suggest looking at any apps installed (or even try a factory reset to see if that fixed the issues). I have not experienced any lag w/ my Xoom, nor have I ever had any reboots.

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Android 3.1 could/should be announced tomorrow or Wednesday. I am looking forward to seeing the improvements, etc. We know it's coming because of that little slip-up by Adobe in the Market releasing a Flash update that will only give us hardware acceleration and 720p playback with Android 3.1.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Default Root your Xoom

If your Xoom is buggy, root the damn thing. That's what it's for. I have owned Android smartohones for over two years and have never rooted. Rooted the Xoom via instructions, and this thing runs like a champ. I highly suggest it.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

The Xoom is unstable regardless if you loaded applications or not. I think the main issue is the browser randomly crashing and the unresponsiveness of the screen after I unlock it.

Why do people think, if something is not happening to them, that it doesnt exist??

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
    The Xoom is unstable regardless if you loaded applications or not. I think the main issue is the browser randomly crashing and the unresponsiveness of the screen after I unlock it.

Why do people think, if something is not happening to them, that it doesnt exist??
    Why do some people think that the problems they are experiencing are universal, when most other users are not having those problems? Why do some people make blanket statements like "The Xoom is unstable..." when that is clearly not the fact for all users? Some people have random browser crashes, and some people have problems with unresponsive screens.
    Thanked by 2:
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by lostinspace View Post
    Why do some people think that the problems they are experiencing are universal, when most other users are not having those problems? Why do some people make blanket statements like "The Xoom is unstable..." when that is clearly not the fact for all users? Some people have random browser crashes, and some people have problems with unresponsive screens.
    I agree 100%... The fact that some apps are unstable does NOT make the Xoom hardware itself unstable. Making a blanket statement like that makes one sound uneducated. You need to separate the hardware from the software. They are two different things. Resolve the software issues and the hardware will once again become stable. Not everyone is having the same problems, thus it is unfair to say that "Xoom is unstable".

Thanked by 2:

~20hrs 30min until IO!

Here's a live blog page for the event when it starts:
    Liveblog: Google I/O Day 1
    (just to be clear, I'm not affiliated, 1st result on google)

Google will even have a live stream:
    Google I/O 2011
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by LMO View Post
    I agree 100%... The fact that some apps are unstable does NOT make the Xoom hardware itself unstable. Making a blanket statement like that makes one sound uneducated. You need to separate the hardware from the software. They are two different things. Resolve the software issues and the hardware will once again become stable. Not everyone is having the same problems, thus it is unfair to say that "Xoom is unstable".
    Yes...what I am talking about is software. Tomorrow they will show off new software. Software. Soft. Ware. Nowhere did I say the XOOM hardware is bad; it's industry standard. Ugh.

Get back on topic. What do you think we'll see as far as Android 3.1 goes? We know it's coming, per that slipup by Adobe in the Market listing the new Flash update as compatible with Android 3.1.
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Stang68- Not quite sure why you are referencing my comment, but it was not even directed to you. I never stated that you said Xoom hardware was bad. If you actually read through the thread, you would see that I was commenting on Lostinspace's comment which referred to tdawg00's statement of "The Xoom is unstable regardless if you loaded applications or not." And for the record, I am not the one who got off topic by whining about how bad the Xoom was. So Ugh to you too, and yes, let's get back on topic!

Just saw a post that 3.1 is coming today!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ing-today.html

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by LMO View Post
    Stang68- Not quite sure why you are referencing my comment, but it was not even directed to you. I never stated that you said Xoom hardware was bad. If you actually read through the thread, you would see that I was commenting on Lostinspace's comment which referred to tdawg00's statement of "The Xoom is unstable regardless if you loaded applications or not." And for the record, I am not the one who got off topic by whining about how bad the Xoom was. So Ugh to you too, and yes, let's get back on topic!

Just saw a post that 3.1 is coming today!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ing-today.html

Yeah, didn't mean that as if you said it to me, just that you pointed out something about hardware when that's not what we're talking about. Looks like we're going to get some fixes for our software issues!
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Can't wait to see how the USB Host support works!!!

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

just watched the keynote again, Android@Home completely blew me away. Imagine the potential of this concept, it's insane just thinking about it. Google is definitely on it's way to taking over the world. It's like Bill Gates house...in your house! Imagine everything in your home running on Android, and yes..including your toilet.