Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola plans to release a "lapdock" for the Xoom that is similar to Atrix.

Looks like they might be trying to steal a little thunder from Asus.

http://www.shanzai.com/index.php?opt...s&catid=9:news

Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!

Super cool!! Personally, I don't think I want a standard keyboard. I just don't see my Xoom as a laptop killer. I'm more than happy with the touch screen keyboard and interface. Nevertheless, love the option and looks cool!!

the lapdock is more expensive than cheap standalone laptops.

I still think it is pretty cool and will more likely buy something like it for my xoom. There are times where I just wish it had a physical keyboard, and I really don't feel like carrying around the bluetooth keyboard accessory that is already out. I would rather just have it as part of the case a lot how the Transformer is.

Quote Originally Posted by cstambaugh View Post
    the lapdock is more expensive than cheap standalone laptops.
    Wow, you're not kidding! Amazon.com has Atrix Lapdocks listed at $499.00, with prices as low as $469.

Presumably a dock for the Xoom would not need a second screen, so it should be cheaper.

If Motorola wanted to make something really useful out of a docking station for the Xoom, it would be nice to see them (once they get USB host working) include the ability to plug in (standard USB) external drives, including DVD burners (with software, of course) to allow for easy backups/transfers. I'd personally also like to see a full size SD slot in the dock, and (well, why the Hell not?) a standard HDMI port. And, a decent AC/DC adapter for charging the Xoom and powering external devices.

I doubt I'd be seriously inclined to by a dock for just a physical keyboard, especially for their probable asking price. But, throw in some expanded connectivity/functionality, and I'd be willing to pay for something that costs a little more. (just my $0.02, of course)

If the dock is just going to use the same screen, why not just get a bluetooth keyboard for a lot cheaper? That's just assuming the you can use a bluetooth keyboard with it. I would hope so since may phones can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    If the dock is just going to use the same screen, why not just get a bluetooth keyboard for a lot cheaper? That's just assuming the you can use a bluetooth keyboard with it. I would hope so since may phones can do it.
    That's why said that I would not be inclined to buy one UNLESS it offered something more in the way of connectivity and functionality. I wouldn't bother buying one just to gain a physical keyboard (I haven't even bought one of the Bluetooth ones because I don't feel a $69 need of a keyboard - I'd have little enough desire at half the price). Nor would I care to spend what it would cost for another (non-touch) screen - even a larger one.

I would be interested in a dock that would provide standard sized, fully functional ports (USB, HDMI) and a full-size SD card slot.

But, seeing as how Motorola's Speaker Dock was priced at $130, I'm somewhat doubtful that they could deliver what I seek at a rational price.

I'd suggest that they design one that provided a second screen and the capability of running a second app on that screen, but that would probably cost more than just buying a second Xoom.

As long as the price is relatively rational I would definately buy one. You can't beat a physical keyboard for long entries, emails or touching up school papers at the local coffee shop.

I'd like one that provides an adjustable angle and support for the Xoom. If I'm in bed with the current case, I have to use it upside down in order for the Xoom to have support, and not keep sliding out of the case and hitting the volume knobs in the process.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sock-Monkey Pete View Post
    As long as the price is relatively rational I would definately buy one. You can't beat a physical keyboard for long entries, emails or touching up school papers at the local coffee shop.
    Price really gets to the heart of the matter with Motorola accessories. That Atrix dock was $500, and their Bluetooth keyboard was $70 (although both can now be had for a bit less).

As far as porting around a dock, as opposed to just a keyboard, I'd opt for the keyboard alone. To my way of thinking about it, a dock is not something to be carried around every where you'd go, but more suited to a desktop (at least for the most part). that's why I'd prefer to see great functionality if they are to start making them.

As far as typing on a keyboard, which I'd agree is preferable to the touchscreen for long composition, I could see a reasonable trade off between the usefulness of the keyboard vs. the added encumbrance of toting it about - so long as the price was reasonable..

Now, I've already griped about the cost of the Motorola Bluetooth keyboard, but it looks as if there are alternatives. Here's a waterproof candidate I'd consider at $33 Amazon.com: Menotek Flexible Bluetooth Waterproof Mini Keyboard For Apple iPad and iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab and Motorola Xoom and iPhone 4/4G, Windows, Mac, Linux: Computer & Accessories

However, I'm not familiar with Menotek. Anyone know about the quality/reliability of their products?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    A portfolio case with a built in(and very slim)keyboard would be amazing, but yeah, I don't really see myself using/carrying a dock around. I'd rather just use my laptop if I plan on doing anything long term.

*nudge nudge developers

edit: hah, it seems my dream came true, a portfolio case with keybaord just released!