Kind of suprised the Xoom didn't get Netflix

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought the Xoom would have gotten some Netflix love along with the first batch of phones.

Let the speculation begin.

What do you think? Not enough sold? Terga 2 doesn?t have the proper DRM?

Thoughts?

-Suntan

sethwardo

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
weird no moto phones? interesting.
• HTC Incredible with Android 2.2
• HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2, 2.3
• HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2
• HTC G2 with Android 2.2
• Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Half of me was happy that it is compatible with my HTC Incredible, but half of me was bummed it doesn't work with my Xoom. It's just a matter of time until a list of Motorola devices get Netflix.

Hopefully it isn't processor dependent. The current list of phones all have ARM based processors (snapdragon, hummingbird).

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think we the very recent update with HDCP and hardware video acceleration with android 3.1 the Xoom probably only really became a candidate for Netflix on Tuesday.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I got it on my Nexus S but, I'd rather have it on the Xoom. IMO it's not really fun to watch anything on a phone unless it's something short, like a Youtube video.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As the article in AndroidCentral states:
They also stated the delay for their app has been due to a lack of standard streaming playback capability that is causing them to test each device individually. They anticipate more support in the "coming months".
It makes sense that all the supported phones are HTC. HTC probably uses the same "streaming playback capability" in all these phones.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
O and how about a hacked version of flash 10.3 running hulu. Not netflix but still awesome!

aefc02b7-9ee2-3c64.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Everything that I read said it had to do with the fact that they could only get it working on Snapdragon processors. They are working on the other processors and all will eventually be supported.

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Everything that I read said it had to do with the fact that they could only get it working on Snapdragon processors. They are working on the other processors and all will eventually be supported.

The apk from XDA is working on my OG Droid with CM7, so it's not just Snapdragon or Qualcomm processors in general. My guess is they just need to test for each model/family.

edit: Actually I think the Snapdragon SOC uses the Cortex A8, which is the same processor as my Droid. So that could be it.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The apk from XDA is working on my OG Droid with CM7, so it's not just Snapdragon or Qualcomm processors in general. My guess is they just need to test for each model/family.

edit: Actually I think the Snapdragon SOC uses the Cortex A8, which is the same processor as my Droid. So that could be it.

Yeah. The APK that the Droids are using has been modified but the processor is close enough where it will work.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Its not a hardware issue guys, phones all the way back to my Dream can run this(now keep in mind this is with some heavy software mods like the radio that adds RAM and a very fast running ROM, don't quote me on this though)... it's a software thing, however Netflix failed as they could easily spoof the device model and even OS by just messing around with the build.prop.

I would just wait for my Xoom to get it officially, having it on my Nexus S will suffice. Might try it on my G1 by spoofing the build.prop though, would love to see if it runs well.

Sent from my HTC Dream

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca