Xoom and a projector -- how to?

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having problems figuring out something simple -- how to get my Xoom to connect to a projector. HDMI out works great. However, very few projectors accept HDMI input. I tried an HDMI-DVI adapter, which should work since there's no analog-digital conversion issue. However, no go, either on a monitor or on a projector.

It appears that there's not quite enough signal strength to trip the monitor's or the projector's autosense and register an image. The Xoom itself slightly adjusts its aspect ration, so I know it sees the connection to the monitor/projector.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are most welcome. I'd love to be able to use my Xoom for presentations -- it's a lot easier than carrying around a full laptop kit.

Thx

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That's definitely strange. I wouldn't think the lack of power would be an issue. My guess is the projector you tried it on only supports DVI-A, which is where an analog VGA signal is sent through the DVI cable/port. HDMI to DVI only sends a DVI-D (digital) signal for obvious reasons. You should try to hook your xoom to a monitor that accepts DVI-D input (pretty much any non-ancient monitor). Alternatively you could try to hook up a computer with HDMI output to the DVI port on the projector and see if it has the same issue.

edit: I missed the part about you trying it on a monitor too. Do you know for sure if the DVI port on that supports digital signals?

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
It's a Dell 24" monitor, about 4-5 years old. 2408WFP. The DVI ports don't work. However, the HDMI port on that monitor does.

When I connect to either of the DVI ports, it clearly tries to talk to the monitor. It wakes up from sleep mode when I connect or disconnect the cable, but there's no image and it immediately goes back to sleep.

Do you think the HDMI-DVI adapter may be the issue? Open to any thoughts or suggestions.

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you have anything that has a full sized HDMI out? You could try to use the HDMI/DVI converter with that to the monitor, and see if you get the same issue. This will help narrow down the possible causes.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Good thought -- should have already checked that ;).

As it turns out, a Dell Studio 14 connected to the same monitor via full-size HDMI plugged into a DVI port using the same HDMI-DVI adapter works just fine.

Frustrating...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante