Rant: Absolutely unacceptable that the 3.1 update doesn't fix lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
not sure where you are getting any hostility from? :confused:
I agree. Clearly I'm not feeling any love from you for the XOOM, but I don't think you've been "hostile" in any way.

As for calling names... well I called us all fools, including myself, in my "personal growth" message. :-[

I learned a long time ago, that the emotion in letters ("letters?... oh crap, I'm dating myself!)... OK, the emotion in text is 25% wording and 75% the attitude/assumptions of the reader.

If words are read with a grimace, they seem hostile. If the same words are read with a smile, they are totally cool. Everyone should read with a smile.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Clearly I'm not feeling any love from you for the XOOM, but I don't think you've been "hostile" in any way.

As for calling names... well I called us all fools, including myself, in my "personal growth" message. :-[

I learned a long time ago, that the emotion in letters ("letters?... oh crap, I'm dating myself!)... OK, the emotion in text is 25% wording and 75% the attitude/assumptions of the reader.

If words are read with a grimace, they seem hostile. If the same words are read with a smile, they are totally cool. Everyone should read with a smile.

lol...I guess you aren't so bad after all....I'm glad to see you are taking this as a friendly debate unlike others

you are very correct that 75% is the the assumption of the reader

For a positive note, I am starting to feel more and more satisfied the more I use 3.1...a huge improvement....it's only a sign of better things coming this way

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see much lag, usually running the browser, streaming radio, a game or two, weather widget, calendar/email. 3.1 feels like the overall experience is a little more stable. thumbs up here. I do feel the need to shutdown/restart the device about once a week, it slows down a little bit after a while.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't see much lag, usually running the browser, streaming radio, a game or two, weather widget, calendar/email. 3.1 feels like the overall experience is a little more stable. thumbs up here. I do feel the need to shutdown/restart the device about once a week, it slows down a little bit after a while.

before the update, I had to restart it once a day to retore wifi service....I find that unnecessary now with 3.1

anon(318873)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree, I have a Xoom running 3.0 and I have yet to see ANY lag at all. The ONE single thing I don't like about it, and it's not the Xoom's fault, is that a lot of the apps I love aren't optimized for Android 3.0 and tablets.

If you really are getting lag, there is a cause, maybe hardware fault, an app you installed, I dunno but there is something.

@sonofdroid I have to agree iOS is the single most boring OS since DOS, and it's the one thing that might de-rail Apple's current success.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree, I have a Xoom running 3.0 and I have yet to see ANY lag at all. The ONE single thing I don't like about it, and it's not the Xoom's fault, is that a lot of the apps I love aren't optimized for Android 3.0 and tablets.

If you really are getting lag, there is a cause, maybe hardware fault, an app you installed, I dunno but there is something.

@sonofdroid I have to agree iOS is the single most boring OS since DOS, and it's the one thing that might de-rail Apple's current success.

this really makes me wonder if a good percentage of xoom have hardware issues? I am only running optimized apps besides the hacked google voice .apk. I uninstalled and it still behaved the same way.

It still behaved that way after a hard reset. I ended up exchanging it and my new device is the same

anon(318873)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
this really makes me wonder if a good percentage of xoom have hardware issues? I am only running optimized apps besides the hacked google voice .apk. I uninstalled and it still behaved the same way.

It still behaved that way after a hard reset. I ended up exchanging it and my new device is the same

Bad luck, I'm loving mine and wouldn't swap it for an iPad, especially since iTunes hates my PC and all my music and videos get corrupted when transferring them to my iPod Touch. I could blame the iPod but I'm not because I know the problem is almost certainly a conflict between something installed on my PC and iTunes.

dharbit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The 3.1 update was a gift from above, it fixed many issues I was having with my xoom. The only thing they left out is the desktop browser client issue. If your xoom is lagging its obviously an app that has crappy memory management or that is not honeycomb optimized. If you are really having alot of lag issue, take the time and email all the app developers through the market to please ask them to optimize your apps that currently are not yet optimized for tablets. I have done this and have got great responses from most of them the more we ask the faster developers will update their apps!

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
There is 100% lag when typing in web dialogue boxes. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the text to appear after typing.

Mine is going back to Costco tomorrow.

anon(318873)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
There is 100% lag when typing in web dialogue boxes. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the text to appear after typing.

Mine is going back to Costco tomorrow.

Web dialogue boxes or the web dialogue box on a site you regularly use. I tried to log into a site I use daily and it was rubbish on my Xoom, all messed up. I could blame the Xoom but I know it's just that the site I use isn't coded for mobile browsers.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont' understand how some people have "lag" and some don't.

In the first few pages, a fellow member pointed out that its a know fact that 3 out of the 4 screens of view have the frame-rate cut in half.

YouTube - Honeycomb Lag Explained.

This would definitely result in perceived stutter since you are essentially seeing half the frequency you have been seeing before.

Maybe ya'll never played around with an Ipad to see how smooth it was and don't have a baseline to compare it to. I would also think my xoom is near perfect if I hadn't owned an Ipad 2 previously.

So maybe this lag is perceived because I have toyed around with other tablets...who knows....I'm just hoping for the next update to come soon

Last edited:

seanp666

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings and turn animations off.... it will take a lot of the lag out. And if you still have lag.... well you just have too many giant widgets everywhere

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings and turn transitions off.... it will take a lot of the lag out. And if you still have lag.... well you just have too many giant widgets everywhere

I must admit that my entire 5 screens in the launcher are all filled with widgets and widgets...some are resized to the whole screen, like my gmail one

Thanks for the tip...I'll try that

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
My friend received the 3.1 update.....great, you can resize widgets, etc....but it is still extremely laggy!! In fact, it gets even more lagged the more you stretch out the widgets This is absolutely unacceptable. The screen rotates like crap....anything other than landscape view makes it suck and lag more

Sorry, but I agree with many others... I didn't see any of this "lag" in 3.0 and not in 3.1 either. Perhaps you have some widgets sucking the system down or something unusual loaded. Or maybe you just use it differently than me. But I have never experienced any "lag" as described in this thread.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Turn off javascripting/flash in your browser settings and you'll have no lag. Just like the ipad. On the other hand if you open up a few tabs in an ipad aftermarket browser you'll have lag galore. BTW one thing I notice about the apple customers is that they'll defend the brand to their dying breath. Even the lack of flash.....and we android people tend to whine like mad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Turn off javascripting/flash in your browser settings and you'll have no lag. Just like the ipad. On the other hand if you open up a few tabs in an ipad aftermarket browser you'll have lag galore. BTW one thing I notice about the apple customers is that they'll defend the brand to their dying breath. Even the lack of flash.....and we android people tend to whine like mad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip...i will do that

and true about the apple users! they have an excuse for everything lacking on their device...its essentially a big ipod touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12