Planning on buying a Xoom tomorrow

drudometkin

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
What's the best place to buy it? Any good deals that favor getting it at one place vs another? and is there any must have accessories to pick up? Thanks.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What's the best place to buy it? Any good deals that favor getting it at one place vs another? and is there any must have accessories to pick up? Thanks.

I know this isn't what you asked but unless you absolutely need it right now, I'd suggest waiting. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is out on June 8th. It's thinner, lighter and has a vastly superior screen (PLS, which is supposedly better than the IPS screen in the iPad). Same price as the iPad too.

There's just no sense in getting a Xoom right now. I'll be selling mine for a Tab as soon as it comes out.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't what you asked but unless you absolutely need it right now, I'd suggest waiting. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is out on June 8th. It's thinner, lighter and has a vastly superior screen (PLS, which is supposedly better than the IPS screen in the iPad). Same price as the iPad too.

There's just no sense in getting a Xoom right now. I'll be selling mine for a Tab as soon as it comes out.

I would avoid a Motorola Xoom at this point like the plague. Motorola does not have its act together on this thing at all. Just my not so humble opinion.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Xoom is awesome. I had the iPad 2, Galaxy Tab, and Transformer, yet I kept my Xoom.

Why did you keep the Xoom over the Transformer, if you don't mind me asking?

Transformer has the same software but with a better screen, enabled SD storage and built in cloud storage software. And there's the keyboard option and it's substantially cheaper...

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have done sooo much research on all the tablets, and dispite all the Xooms shortcomings i still want it more than the other tablets.

I wont get one (however i never know cause i buy on impulse alot), but i still would give it first pick because of build quality and form factor. This thing is sooo solidly built, its like a tank. And i like that compared to the other 10.1 tablets its sooo small, and has rounded edges. The transformer is soo much longer and wider dispite the same size screen.

Now as too why i wont buy the xoom, well because of the screen, a bit from the pricing, and the fact that i cant get my hand on a gold xoom, it really grind my gears.

But mainly i am getting a Bionic whenever it comes out, and i do not want to buy a tablet that is inferior in specs to my phone. So i will just have to wait till a Xoom 2 with Tegra 3 comes out, and itll probably have a better screen as well. And believe me i realllllly want a tablet at this moment.

jase33

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a blast with my xoom. Unless you plan on using the keyboard and mouse, wait on that until you find a need for it or get a really good deal. Get a good case or bag or portfolio or whatever suits you. The speaker dock is nice but I think it is grossly overpriced. The standard is worth it if you catch it on sale like I did for 34.99...woot. Get something to protect it like a silicone skin an maybe a screen protector. But those are much cheaper online. Price seems to be set right now on the xoom wherever you go. I you look on bestbuy.com it may be on sale, they will match price in store if you ask. Usually like $10 cheaper. If you are gonna be rooting and stuff and not real good at it then check costco if one is on your are. They will take anything back and refund as long as everything is in the box. Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my HTC HD2

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it matters much where you get it. I heard SAM's Club offers a 90 day return policy, which would be a "nice to have" safety net.

A folio case, bluetooth keyboard and a charging dock are my top three recommendations... in that order.

My family has three 3G versions. I bought one for my wife and my son when I bought mine... on day one.

My XOOM has replaced my notebook computer. I travel a lot. Although a notebook is nice, it's still a burden to open and use on a moments notice. With it's familiar file based system and incredibly long battery life, there is no need to carry the notebook anymore.

My wife primarily uses it for web surfing and communicating with friends.

My son uses his for his high school work. He can pull down his work assignments from the school's website (I think most High Schools are set up with "Infinite Campus"), do the research, complete the assignment, and e-mail it back without ever leaving the XOOM.

If any of us need to print, we use Drop Box to copy the file to the desktop for printing.

You'll hear some nay-sayers complain about a few really minor things. I noticed one of them told you to wait for a Samsung 10.1. The thing that guy complains about most is a stuttering of the scroll when the unit is upside down or in portrait mode. It is a Honeycomb issue which, in fact, seems to be first documented on the new 10.1 inch Samsung Tablet. I never noticed this "issue". Neither did my wife or my son before I brought it to their attention.

I'm a 50-something engineer working for a semiconductor company in Silicon Valley. Tech has been very good to me over the years. I'm lucky enough to have anything I want... at least when it comes to gadgets. ;-) I highly recommend the XOOM. All the others out there seem to hold promise, but then fail on the implementation in some way. The Samsung tablet did hold promise, but the first released units (5000 of them were given out at Google IO) had proprietary interfaces, meaning anything you want to hook up... a usb device, HDMI, whatever... needs to go through some sort of extra converter box. Also, the screen was no better than the XOOM and the Samsung seemed to lack an SD card socket. That was a surprise.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Costco is supposed to have a good deal on Xoom. Something like $20 off with a bundled gel case and a free protection plan, if I'm not mistaken.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung tablet did hold promise, but the first released units (5000 of them were given out at Google IO) had proprietary interfaces, meaning anything you want to hook up... a usb device, HDMI, whatever... needs to go through some sort of extra converter box. Also, the screen was no better than the XOOM and the Samsung seemed to lack an SD card socket. That was a surprise.

1. PLS display technology is a superior variant of IPS. Both IPS and PLS are inherently superior to the TFT lcd in the xoom. They're brighter, have better colour reproduction and vastly better viewing angles. It's not a matter of opinion, it's demonstrable fact. TFT is a thing of the past and rightly so. The Xoom's screen is very poor compared to the iPad, in spite of the higher pixel density.

2. I agree, proprietary is always BS but as long as it does support HDMI out with an adapter (and it does) then it's a judgement call. If you're willing to put up with this shortcoming to have the thinnest and lightest tablet on the market, I say go for it.

3. No SD... remains to be seen whether that will be the case with the final shipping models, but I don't think that's a dealbreaker anyway. I'm using less than 6GB of space on my Xoom right now and most of that is music, which will shortly be moving to the cloud anyway.

To the OP: I don't think there's much contest, personally. The Tab has the same software and ecosystem but with better technology and a much lighter and thinner design.

If the SD card is a sticking point, get something else. If not, get the Tab.

Here's an article from Techcrunch's resident android fan, Jason Kincaid, on this topic:

Honeycomb Has A Fighting Chance Against The iPad

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
1. PLS display technology is a superior variant of IPS. Both IPS and PLS are inherently superior to the TFT lcd in the xoom. They're brighter, have better colour reproduction and vastly better viewing angles. It's not a matter of opinion, it's demonstrable fact. TFT is a thing of the past and rightly so. The Xoom's screen is very poor compared to the iPad, in spite of the higher pixel density.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the technology, but I was quoting a video review of the Samsung 10.1 that was given away at Google IO.

The one piece of the technology you are missing is the importance of back lighting. Many of the technical specs for the XOOM's display beat the iPad2. What makes the iPad2 more... um... "vibrant", for the lack of a better word, is Apple starts with a good display and also overdrives the backlight. The novice looks at this and says "WOW"! They ignore the bleed through, the lack of true black, contrast wash out, etc... All they see is this wonderfully bright display and say "Ohhh...Ahhhh". ;-)

Displays have a lot of "perception" aspects to them. The technically superior display is not necessarily the better looking in any particular implementation. PLS could be better than IPS, but it will depend a lot on the implementation.

Again, I'm just quoting someone's review of the Samsung unit they recieved at Google IO.

You can look it up yourself. It's somewhere in this site. I saw it while reading the Google IO reports.

mrboss23

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take, I have a xoom. I'm a gadget geek so I've followed all and tested all tablets available. 1st thing that the xoom has over all tablets is build quality and its the chosen google experience device. Its built very sturdy and just feels good holding it. Also with it being the first honeycomb device everything is tested using the xoom, that's why people complain alot about it. Its the first honeycomb device. Also with it being the first, guess which tablet gets all the updates first, the xoom. Honeycomb 3.1 was just released and it was released on the xoom first. If the things I mentioned don't move you then any honeycomb device will do. As far as the screen goes, I wouldn't base my decisions on the screen for the simple fact that though each tablet screen is slightly different its not worth buying a tablet over screen differences. Why? Because you'll only notice a diffence when comparing tablets side by side. When any tablets is by itself the screens are just fine. Another note is that although the xoom is not the thinnest tablet its the smallest 10.1inch tablet as for as length and width due to the smaller bezel.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Why did you keep the Xoom over the Transformer, if you don't mind me asking?

Transformer has the same software but with a better screen, enabled SD storage and built in cloud storage software. And there's the keyboard option and it's substantially cheaper...

Its size was too big. The bezel on the Transformer is so big, it was awkward to hold, especially in portrait. The screen is really nice though.

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I really like the Xoom. My one suggestion would be to pay Best Buy to install a screen protector... the fingerprints nearly drove me mad. I paid some kid $15 to install a Zagg screen protector and it was well worth it. Fingerprints down 90% and what's there wipes off easily.

I guess you could install this yourself, but in my experience it's worth the $15.

s1nfoxgl

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my Xoom off Amazon a couple of days ago. I probably shouldve waited for the Galaxy 10.1 but everyone keeps saying Samsung is epic slow with their updates...If I don't like the Xoom hopefully I can return it back to Amazon for a full refund and get the Tab. I dunno yet. Also I spent a lot of money on accessories for the Xoom. But from what I've researched and the little time I had to play with the Xoom, I dont think I'll be disappointed.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you will be pleased with the Xoom. I'm not convinced it's a laptop replacement (I have too much Windows-specific software to make that claim) but it does what it does--web browsing, multimedia, light editing--well. It's more poised for content consumption than content origination, like all current tablet PCs. The Android app ecosystem gets better and better every day, and will really take off for tablets when Android 3.x is more than 0.3% of the mobile market, which is what it is now.

I would recommend the following accessories:

1. Charging dock (or speaker dock if you must) for home. (Keep the bundled charger for on the road.)
  2. Auto charger if you use it on the road
  3. Arkon folding tablet support
  4. Bluetooth keyboard--a must have if you do much content generation on the tablet
  5. Bluetooth mouse?--could be useful after the 3.1 update. Unfortunately, my MS-5000 BT mouse won't talk to my Xoom. Maybe another model will work.
  6. Neoprene case (I use a generic CaseLogic 10" Kindle/IPad/netbook case that has a zip closure and a zip outside pocket. Might trade this in for a simlar Xoom-specific one that fits tighter when available. The plastic portfolio case is junk IMO.
  7. Microfiber cloth to clean the screen periodically. I keep it stashed in the case pocket. I'm not a big fan of screen protectors.

Cheers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae