Digital Magazines

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
anyone know of magazine apps for the xoom? I know Zinio is working on one but am looking for something for my xoom. How are the Barnes And Nobles ones any good? Thanks for the help all.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The B&N Nook app does magazines beautifully. The Nook app is now an exact copy of the way that the Nook Color functions.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The Nook app works fairly well, but the selection of magazines is paltry compared to Zinio's. The Zinio app currently has to be sideloaded, as it's not yet available via the Market.

I've been in e-mail contact with someone at Zinio since the Nook app was updated for magazine support (on tablets). I was told that their app should be available sometime this week for Honeycomb, and Froyo in a few more weeks.

One thing I noticed about Nook is that they are not updated with the most current editions of magazines. For example, my Zinio library has the June edition of Maxim, but my Nook library still only has the May edition. For this reason (and that I already have a bunch of Zinio subcriptions), I am going to give Zinio until next week to deliver on that Honeycomb app before I jump ship to Nook.

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Kindle app supports magazines as well. Some mags can only be delivered to one device though, so if you have a xoom and a droid x you can only read your Economist on one (which is the case I find myself in).

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input all!

@KJ I have the 2600 magazine through Kindle and it is ok not the best but was wondering how the Nook app compared.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Kindle has 102 magazine titles at the moment. Nook has 137. Zinio has about 4200, but you currently have to sideload the file.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I just saw a Zinio tweet saying Android was coming. Granted, they said it was coming a year ago, but still....

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input all!

@KJ I have the 2600 magazine through Kindle and it is ok not the best but was wondering how the Nook app compared.

I've wondered the same. If the nook let's you read on multiple devices I'll happily switch my subscription over.

mikedj72

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Keep an eye on "next issue" in the app store. I just joined, don't know linking or referencing policies of other blogs yet. But do a google news search on Android Magazines and you'll see the news stories from this morning on this app. Only on Samsung Tab at launch, but coming soon. Single issues or full subscriptions.

Time, Fortune, Pop Mechanics, Esquire types at launch.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Some tablets come with Zinio pre-loaded, or you can sideload it, but it is not yet available for download it from the Market.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20