browsing experience worse in 3.1

smelni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Xoom 3g here. Browsing experience very buggy and laggy since update to 3.1.

Web forms very laggy to type in. Too many tabs pile up cause don't see them on top anymore. In general pages render much slower

I actually would revert to 3.0 if I could cause browsing was smooth and stable.

Anyone else see this?

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually finding the opposite. Before 3.1 I had been using Opera Mobile exclusively because the built-in Honeycomb browser sucked. However, since the last flash update Opera Mobile has been horrible with flash sites so I've gone back to the android browser and I'm finding it to be much better than before. Hope they fix Opera though since I still like the interface better.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
idk my browsing on 3.1 has been fine i have plug-ins set to on-demand so maybe that helps but it works great!

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Xoom 3g here. Browsing experience very buggy and laggy since update to 3.1.

Web forms very laggy to type in. Too many tabs pile up cause don't see them on top anymore. In general pages render much slower

I actually would revert to 3.0 if I could cause browsing was smooth and stable.

Anyone else see this?

Wait, do you have the thumb controls turned on? That might be why you don't see your tabs up top anymore...you can turn them off in labs if you want.

I've experienced quite the opposite - I'm actually shocked how much better the browser experience is in 3.1. Double-tap to zoom speed alone is enough to warrant the price of admission - it's freaky quick - and google appears to have edited/improved their text rendering algorithm to clean up text (when zooming) - as it's (and I've measured this) down from 1 second to about .25 seconds for text renders to clear up...pretty impressive for the first major software update (I'm a wifi owner...I already had v2 when I bought mine so I can't speak for the 3g crowd on day 1)

Jack

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm finding some post 3.1 default browser issues e.g. the copy paste function is a mess, browser closes on its own etc. I never had issues with the default browser usability pre 3.1. Nevertheless, IMO these issues are very apparent and would expect they'll soon be fixed.

smelni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
you used to be able to have thumb controls and still see tabs. Its much harder to nav and see tabs on the thumb control. But everything else on the control is good

It is just so buggy now. Driving me nuts

SongbirdVB

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Try Dolphin HD browser. In my experience it's much faster than stock, plus it has gesture support.

I've tried the Dolphin HD browser and always end up going back to the Xoom browser. I can't find where to do settings for the DolphinHD and it hasn't been working right for me. Operator error, I'm sure, but it's annoying. :confused:

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I hope you're kidding... my Wifi Xoom has 3.1 and it simply flies in almost every aspect of the device's interface, especially the browser. Since I have updated a good 6 days ago, the browser has only crashed on me ONCE and I use flash content all the time(leave it on all the time). My device in general has been a whole lot more stable on 3.1, it used to crash like crazy left and right and slow down so often that I almost never used it. Now I use it because the update actually makes it a tablet that I could brag about to my iPad 2 owning buddy xD.

Sent from my Dream

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ihave mixed feelings about the update. In general I think its better and more stable as I've had similar experiences as you with my xoom just flying along and very smoothly. Also though I seems to reboot more because out of the blue it will just slow down and lag to the point where it hangs. I haven't checked to see if killing some apps help or maybe because the battery gets low, I'm just not sure what causes the mood swings. I feel like my xoom is byPolar or something.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I found text entry in the stock browser to be laggy as well, and hit a couple of browser crashes. Alternate browsers seem to handle it just fine. Scrolling in the stock browser is much nicer than it was in 3.0 though.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ihave mixed feelings about the update. In general I think its better and more stable as I've had similar experiences as you with my xoom just flying along and very smoothly. Also though I seems to reboot more because out of the blue it will just slow down and lag to the point where it hangs. I haven't checked to see if killing some apps help or maybe because the battery gets low, I'm just not sure what causes the mood swings. I feel like my xoom is byPolar or something.

I know exactly what you are talking about! Mine seems bipolar too sometimes.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
You're probably holding it wrong. No, really, Honeycomb works best in right-side-up landscape mode.

Since its early and I was out late last night I'll just have to confirm that you are kidding

No he's not kidding ..look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jbm8QAS3DI

the XOOM is USELESS in 3 out of the 4 planes of view

I hope you're kidding...

yea smokexz.....we are all kidding when we say we have an issue.......:confused:

why would someone just make up an excuse to complain? we are having legtimate problems that we want resolved.....:-X

musashiken

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The browser in 3.1 is generally less buggy then before but the rendering is horrible.

Once a webpage is loaded fully, I can swipe up and down the page really quickly and smoothly but the text doesn't follow! All I see is a blank page every time I swipe up or down, and when I let go of my finger the text then appears. How is this better rendering? It's like the graphics chip can't render the page quick enough to follow my finger.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Overall the browser is much better, but the text input lag is unacceptable...i can't believe people are making excuses for that!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084