Need Help With PDFs on the Xoom

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I need to be able to view PDFs with links to other PDFs and documents Locally. Basically our company would like to be able to hand our clients a tablet to be used similarly to that of an "owner's manuel".

I transfer the file folder, from a PC to the Xoom, which contains a number of subfolders that correspond to the page links located in the "master" PDF, and then in each subfolder there is one or more PDFs to that I want to be able to open up just by navigating through the "master" PDF. Now, with a couple of the apps I have tested already, I have been able to open up the "master" PDF and click the on the links (such as the table of contents) which takes me to the desired page in the "master PDF". My issue arises when I then attempt to open up the linked PDFs, they attempt to open through the browser (not what I want them to do anyway) but they don't open. I would like to be able to do all of this without the use of WIFI or the mobile network.

These are a few of the apps that I have tested from the android market without any luck,but I've also tested a number of other free pdf readers:
(all listed apps are the paid versions)
Adobe
ezPDF
BeamReader
RepliGo
DocumentsToGo Pro
OfficeSuite Pro

We have successfully done this on an iPad, but for numerous reasons, we would like to be able to achieve this with the xoom or another android tablet.

If you have any ideas for a solution I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

GTG :)

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you try the full version from adobe that allows for editing of PDF files? I would guess that the full version wold allow that or allow you to rebuild the links that have failed in the master document.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I need to be able to view PDFs with links to other PDFs and documents Locally. Basically our company would like to be able to hand our clients a tablet to be used similarly to that of an "owner's manuel".

I transfer the file folder, from a PC to the Xoom, which contains a number of subfolders that correspond to the page links located in the "master" PDF, and then in each subfolder there is one or more PDFs to that I want to be able to open up just by navigating through the "master" PDF. Now, with a couple of the apps I have tested already, I have been able to open up the "master" PDF and click the on the links (such as the table of contents) which takes me to the desired page in the "master PDF". My issue arises when I then attempt to open up the linked PDFs, they attempt to open through the browser (not what I want them to do anyway) but they don't open. I would like to be able to do all of this without the use of WIFI or the mobile network.

These are a few of the apps that I have tested from the android market without any luck,but I've also tested a number of other free pdf readers:
Adobe
ezPDF
BeamReader
RepliGo
DocumentsToGo Pro
OfficeSuite Pro

We have successfully done this on an iPad, but for numerous reasons, we would like to be able to achieve this with the xoom or another android tablet.

Thanks,

Quick office pro hd. Costs money but works

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you try the full version from adobe that allows for editing of PDF files? I would guess that the full version wold allow that or allow you to rebuild the links that have failed in the master document.

What do you mean by full version? I have the Adobe Reader app from the market, and it does not support links. I tried the Adobe createPDF app, but that really is just a converter. Am I missing another one?

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The problem could be on the Authoring side. I found that our PDF help files were finicky about the types of links you could use. I forget the details,but some bookmarks that Adobe said were viable ended up not being viable in a browser.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Adobe
ezPDF
BeamReader
RepliGo
DocumentsToGo Pro
OfficeSuite Pro

Thanks,

What program do you use on the iPad? Since neither the iPad or Android Tablet support .pdf natively, I'd suspect this is an application issue.

I'd contact the developer of the app that works on iPad and ask if they can fix it for Android. If they don't have an app for Android yet, it's a good bet they are working on one.

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What program do you use on the iPad? Since neither the iPad or Android Tablet support .pdf natively, I'd suspect this is an application issue.

I'd contact the developer of the app that works on iPad and ask if they can fix it for Android. If they don't have an app for Android yet, it's a good bet they are working on one.

The GoodReader app on the iPad worked. It allowed me to WiFi transfer a zipped file, unzip it, and open linked pdfs natively...flawlessly. Goodiware, the developer, has a notice on their website that they are not interested in developing the app for android platform at this time blah blah blah. Hands down best reader app for the iPhone/iPad.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The GoodReader app on the iPad worked. It allowed me to WiFi transfer a zipped file, unzip it, and open linked pdfs natively...flawlessly. Goodiware, the developer, has a notice on their website that they are not interested in developing the app for android platform at this time blah blah blah. Hands down best reader app for the iPhone/iPad.
Well... flawlessly, but not natively. ;-) Native means it's part of the OS. GoodReader is an app.

Yeah, Apple versus Android warriors. They are shooting themselves in the foot. They have something now that is superior to the other apps on the market. That window won't stay open for long.

Android already dominates iOS on the mobile OS market. Worldwide, it's 37% versus 17% as of Q1. With Android climbing like a rocket and iOS remaining flat to down. It's a childish/foolish business decision to ignore Android. But you can only bring a horse to water. You can't make him drink.

In this case, I'd provide feedback to the other .pdf viewing app makers. What you're asking for is not a typical need. I work for a semiconductor company and everything is .pdf. We don't have docs calling other docs. A lot of our docs are nearly a thousand pages and they render just fine using docs to go.

My point is... If you ever want to see this type of support, you need to let the developers know someone is looking for it.

Reactions: GBCOGTG

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well... flawlessly, but not natively. ;-) Native means it's part of the OS. GoodReader is an app.

Yeah, Apple versus Android warriors. They are shooting themselves in the foot. They have something now that is superior to the other apps on the market. That window won't stay open for long.

Android already dominates iOS on the mobile OS market. Worldwide, it's 37% versus 17% as of Q1. With Android climbing like a rocket and iOS remaining flat to down. It's a childish/foolish business decision to ignore Android. But you can only bring a horse to water. You can't make him drink.

In this case, I'd provide feedback to the other .pdf viewing app makers. What you're asking for is not a typical need. I work for a semiconductor company and everything is .pdf. We don't have docs calling other docs. A lot of our docs are nearly a thousand pages and they render just fine using docs to go.

My point is... If you ever want to see this type of support, you need to let the developers know someone is looking for it.

Thanks for all your input, and clearing up the "natively" bit. I know it isn't a typical need so you're probably right, I probably have to find a developer that is will to tweak or adjust to accommodate our needs. It might be best to combine these PDFs into a giant doc, but it's tough to change something that has been done the same way for many years, but I do appreciate all your points, very helpful.

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Do you think that I could solve the PDF calling other PDFs solution if the Xoom was rooted, and the files were placed into a folder on the system rather than the SD card?

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that I could solve the PDF calling other PDFs solution if the Xoom was rooted, and the files were placed into a folder on the system rather than the SD card?

I talking beyond my knowledge here. ;-)

I wouldn't think rooting would have any impact on this. This seems like it would be a function of the reader app. It would have to recognize a link to an external .pdf and open it automagically. Or it would have to pass the link to a browser, who would then open the .pdf file (like on a PC).

IMHO, you're SOL until a developer includes these capabilities into their app.

But again, I'm reaching beyond my comfortable knowledge zone.

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys,
Andromaniac, I tried OfficeSuite Pro, still no luck but thanks.

Anyone else, I'm entertaining any ideas for a solution to this problem.

Thanks
GTG

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Dolphin Browser HD has a PDF reader plugin. I haven't used it, but you might give that a try to see if it can do the PDF jump-links. You'll need to install both the browser and the plugin.

Cheers.

GBCOGTG

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion; however, I am looking to have these pdfs function locally, without the use of a browser. I am trying to take a PDF that contains links to other pages inside of itself, and on those pages are links to other PDFs.

NOTE: All of these PDFs are located inside of a correctly implemented folder heirarchy.

Still taking suggestions, hopefully we can work through this.

Thanks,
GTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair