Who is getting the Xoom 4g LTE (Xoom 2)?

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The upgrade plan of sending in the 3G XOOMs would probably make sense if they came out with 4G quickly... a month or two from launch date. Now they are facing a daunting task. Even if they start upgrading, it will take months before everyone is serviced. In the mean time, people will be upset and without their XOOMs.

Can you imagine the avalanche of XOOMs being sent to Mot when they announce the upgrade will happen. They don't have enough technicians to do this.

I highly recommend NOT sending in your XOOM right away if the go ahead with the upgrade plan. Not unless they create a reservation system and you know for sure you have a place in line and it will be a relatively quick turn.

I predict disaster.

Reactions: Arun01

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The upgrade plan of sending in the 3G XOOMs would probably make sense if they came out with 4G quickly... a month or two from launch date. Now they are facing a daunting task. Even if they start upgrading, it will take months before everyone is serviced. In the

mean time, people will be upset and without their XOOMs.

Can you imagine the avalanche of XOOMs being sent to Mot when they announce the upgrade will happen. They don't have enough technicians to do this.

I highly recommend NOT sending in your XOOM right away if the go ahead with the upgrade plan. Not unless they create a reservation system and you know for sure you have a place in line and it will be a relatively quick turn.

I predict disaster.

I can certainly see the possibility of disaster in this process. If they decide to send us new models will the new one still be a Google experiance device and will my desktop dock still work?

If there is any type of consideration from Motorola/google for this taking so long it would more than likely take the form of a free 32g SD card once it is active than a free tablet. It is more cost effective and most people would accept it.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I can certainly see the possibility of disaster in this process. If they decide to send us new models will the new one still be a Google experiance device and will my desktop dock still work?

If there is any type of consideration from Motorola/google for this taking so long it would more than likely take the form of a free 32g SD card once it is active than a free tablet. It is more cost effective and most people would accept it.
I wouldn't

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that the whole Xoom issue has paralyzed them. There have likely been twice weekly board meetings trying to decide what to do. The whole idea of having people send in a Xoom to have a 4G radio added is ludicrous. I *think* there will either be some form of compensation or an entirely new model Xoom sent out. I doubt the upgrade plan will be implemented at this point, but I'm only speculating. Notice there has also been no software update to activate the SD card.

I think those of us who purchased the thing are out of luck. Motorola is not going to upgrade the device. We will also not see any sort of compensation.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think those of us who purchased the thing are out of luck. Motorola is not going to upgrade the device. We will also not see any sort of compensation.

you're a fool if you think that is the case

motorola and verizon would get sued until the end of time if they dont upgrade or compensate

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
you're a fool if you think that is the case

motorola and verizon would get sued until the end of time if they dont upgrade or compensate

I'm realistic. Motorola especially has not only taken advantage of the goodwill people have shown to them, they have also squandered it. They have done nothing to adequately update, or communicate with those of us who were stupid enough to purchase a tablet that wasn't ready for release. They did not follow through on the upgrade that was supposed to take place during the second quarter.

Given their recent track record, there is nothing to lead anyone to believe they will actually follow through on the upgrades. All I have received from them is empty commitments and lip service.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm realistic. Motorola especially has not only taken advantage of the goodwill people have shown to them, they have also squandered it. They have done nothing to adequately update, or communicate with those of us who were stupid enough to purchase a tablet that wasn't ready for release. They did not follow through on the upgrade that was supposed to take place during the second quarter.

Given their recent track record, there is nothing to lead anyone to believe they will actually follow through on the upgrades. All I have received from them is empty commitments and lip service.

once they feel the flame of a law suit being lit under their ass they will do something

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
once they feel the flame of a law suit being lit under their ass they will do something

They are a big company. They have demonstrated their arrogance and lack of concern for the products they release. They have also shown their dislike for their customers. At least in my opinion.

They could have it tied up in court for years.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Realism. The overused used claim of the pessimistic. VZW and Moto would be in a peck of trouble over this. Even if people couldn't sue, there are a number of states attorneys general that would probably take up the case, as well as the FTC.

Moto is not the first company to have to delay something and they won't be the last.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Realism. The overused used claim of the pessimistic. VZW and Moto would be in a peck of trouble over this. Even if people couldn't sue, there are a number of states attorneys general that would probably take up the case, as well as the FTC.

Moto is not the first company to have to delay something and they won't be the last.

That makes it okay in your opinion?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a mobile hotspot through work, and the one HUGE problem that I have with that solution is that it's more to carry around. My Xoom is supposed to have LTE *AND* be a mobile hotspot in and of itself. I think you have a valid point, but it's not a great solution.

I agree it's not the ideal solution but it's better than not getting anything or getting a slight discount on the next Xoom product. I'd rather carry around the little hotspot box that will provide wifi to more than just my Xoom than get a "discounted" Xoom for like 4 or 5 hundred and it only have internet access. Again, the best solution is Moto and/or VZW installing the LTE radios. If that doesn't happen the next best thing in my mind is a free mobile hotspot.

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The ONLY reason to pay the ridculous full price is the fact of having 4G one day. Otherwise, might as well buy WIFI version or not buy at all.

If they do decide no giving it 4G, that bites.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I already have a MIFI but, not getting 4G on the Xoom would really upset me. I will not get the Xoom 2 or any other Motorola device ever again. I hope this is just a rumor.

It probably won't happen but, I would want out of my contract or a straight up swap for the new one.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I already have a MIFI but, not getting 4G on the Xoom would really upset me. I will not get the Xoom 2 or any other Motorola device ever again. I hope this is just a rumor.

It probably won't happen but, I would want out of my contract or a straight up swap for the new one.

I suspect it is a rumor and we are worrying needlessly, but if it did play out that way, I'm with you. Either let me out of my contract (and refund my previously paid money) or do a swap.

sethwardo

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
with all the talk of cost for handling the 4g upgrade as they state, by having us mail it in. If it is a costly process, Do you think they are dragging their feet in hopes that the release of the supposed Xoom 2 would have people more inclined to upgrade to the xoom 2 rather then ship the original xoom in for upgrade?

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
with all the talk of cost for handling the 4g upgrade as they state, by having us mail it in. If it is a costly process, Do you think they are dragging their feet in hopes that the release of the supposed Xoom 2 would have people more inclined to upgrade to the xoom 2 rather then ship the original xoom in for upgrade?

Anything is possible, though I seriously doubt it. I don't know what is going on in their minds, but I suspect they realize they will have a big PR disaster as well as some legal action from regulatory authorities if they left everyone high and dry. The following is only my opinion and is not based on anything other than the random thoughts that come from my head...

If they do have everyone send in for upgrades, I would suspect that they will do it in a staged fashion. Only send out approvals for a certain number at a time, based on whatever order they come up with. Could potentially take months, but it would be controlled. On the other hand, the earliest buyers would understandably want their upgrades first and those who had to wait would be very upset.

I can see the mail in for upgrade process as being fraught with potential dangers. Lost and damaged shipments, loss in the process (from receiving to tech and back again), units not working when returned, etc. Then you will have a few that try to defraud the company. One thing is for sure, if they go this route, they will be swamped unless they hire a bunch of temps who are trained just to open up the unit, drop in an upgrade, close it back up and send it on. I shudder to think about that!

Again, we won't know until we know, but I don't think that Moto is stupid enough to tick off that many users at one time!

sethwardo

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible, though I seriously doubt it. I don't know what is going on in their minds, but I suspect they realize they will have a big PR disaster as well as some legal action from regulatory authorities if they left everyone high and dry. The following is only my opinion and is not based on anything other than the random thoughts that come from my head...

If they do have everyone send in for upgrades, I would suspect that they will do it in a staged fashion. Only send out approvals for a certain number at a time, based on whatever order they come up with. Could potentially take months, but it would be controlled. On the other hand, the earliest buyers would understandably want their upgrades first and those who had to wait would be very upset.

I can see the mail in for upgrade process as being fraught with potential dangers. Lost and damaged shipments, loss in the process (from receiving to tech and back again), units not working when returned, etc. Then you will have a few that try to defraud the company. One thing is for sure, if they go this route, they will be swamped unless they hire a bunch of temps who are trained just to open up the unit, drop in an upgrade, close it back up and send it on. I shudder to think about that!

Again, we won't know until we know, but I don't think that Moto is stupid enough to tick off that many users at one time!
Yeah I agree WGRAGG, was just thinking. I love my xoom. I find it very curious how this whole thing has been playing out. Also amusing, granted I’m no software/programmer/designer, that something as simple, when compared to the 4g upgrade, as SD Support is still absent.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that Moto would do a swap for free or at a deep discount if they are not able to upgrade the current Xooms. With the poor sales numbers that were reported for the current Xoom, just imagine what it would be like if they have to almost give away the new version. Not to mention would it would do their their profits with all the money that has to be spent to make the next one. If they did decide to swap out the new one, that would be great for you guys, but it would hurt Moto a lot. I just don't see how you advertise something and not have at least a timetable on when it will be ready. You just cannot do that. This is what happens sometimes when you are trying to be first..... you rush and get burned.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The only people getting burned are people like us that bought the xoom day one on good faith that the lte upgrade would happen within 90 days. Meanwhile every promised day has come and gone with little news from moto or Verizon to boot. Now the xoom2 is going to be released and still no word on when the lte or SD card will be delivered. Moto, Verizon and Google should be embarrassed by this whole mess somewhere Steve jobs is laughing his arse off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678