Black/Blank Screen HELP!

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So my screen is black on my MyTouch 3G slide and I need help.

Back Story:
Bought the phone off a friend. Used it for 3 months with no issues until about the last few weeks before the screen went blank. At this point when I would slide the phone open or closed the screen would go blank, I would then press the top power button and the screen would come back on. Sometimes I would have to press it a few times until the screen came back. Well, one day this stopped working and I could no longer see what was on the screen, but I could receive calls and texts, and the touch screen actually worked because i could answer a call and even play my music based on my memory of what the sequence was to select my playlist. So I asked around and some people seem to think that it is a problem with the sliding mechanism, something called a flex cable? Since I bought it off a friend I don't have any warranty so I can't simply return it to T-mobile.

I am pretty much looking for some answers or possible diagnoses/solutions to what seems like a mechanical problem.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I read the same thing... could be a damaged flex cable from the sliding mechanism.
A few things you can try. Pull the battery out while the phones on... wait a few seconds and put it back in... power back on.

A master reset....hold the decrease volume and power button for 20 seconds and you should see 3 androids on the screen.

Last would be your phone is fried and you would need a replacement...but with no warranty...you need a new phone.... or you could try replacing the flex cable which sounds like something a skilled person would have to do and then you still don't even know if that's the reason the phones not working.

Here is a video on how to take apart the phone
HTC MyTouch 3G Take Apart Video
And here is the cable
T-mobile MyTouch 3G Slide Motherboard Flex Cable

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I tried several times taking the battery out after I turned it off and even while it was on, no luck with that technique. I haven't tried the master reset the way you explained so I think I will give that a go and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I was actually thinking of replacing the cable myself. I think I should be able to handle it myself since that video breaks it down piece by piece.

Thanks again.

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey Cyber Warrior,

So I tried the master reboot and no go, the screen is black so I can't see what I have to select. When I turned the phone on it vibrated like usual on start up and made the t-mobile sound, also, the indicator light was flashing. So it looks like the system is still working. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the display only.

I left out a piece of the story being that I actually sent the phone into HTC because I still had a manufacture warranty apparently. They diagnosed the problem as water damage because the two internal indicators had turned pink. They wanted to charge me 220 to change the motherboard and connection cable but since I thought it was total bull**** I had them send it back. I had never dropped the phone in any water or been in an area of excessive moisture since I had it. It is hard for me to believe that water/moisture damage caused this problem especially since the problem only occurred when I slid open the keyboard and that it took a few weeks from the initial 'black out' until the screen went completely black.

Based on your experience and my back story, would you say this is a flex cable problem caused by wear and tear of opening and closing the keyboard? I am seriously contemplating ordering a flex cable and installing it myself, but I want to hear what you have to say before I spend the money on one.

Thanks again.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Its a strong possibility. I can't say I'm 100% positive but from everything I read a lot of people seem to be having the same problem and saying its the flex cable. The only problem is... that website I gave you, you can only order a minimum of two. Which would be $68. Maybe you can find it cheaper and only order one. That was the only place I found that sells them. Might want to try eBay or Amazon. Also make sure this is something that you know how to fix.. there's instructions on the video and on the part links above.

Edit: Also check those water damage stickers when they send the phone back. If they are pink then it is water damage which is possible to only affect the display. The phone doesn't necessarily have to fall in water. It could be from condensation.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Ya I noticed that, so I did a quick search and there is an e-bay posting which sells a single cable.

The people at HTC did send me pictures of the stickers in my phone (if it actually was my phone) and they were in fact pink. I just found it hard to believe that condensation/moisture could be the cause for the display to go out, especially since it was drawn out over a period of time and only happened when I opened and closed the keyboard.

sammimeows

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
did you ever get a new flex cable? if so did it work after that? i have the exact problem and ive actually gone threw the trouble of taking my phone apart and it seemed that there was some coating missing on the back of the flex cable so i electial taped it and no luck. i dont wanna buy the cable if its not going to work. because i bought mine from a swap meet and to my demise discovered it had water damage later. so if it is a water damage problem i wont waste any more time then ive already wasted.

JMartinez951

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem but it occured 3 days ago. I bought the phone on ebay it had some lag issues but i simply restored it to factory condition and no problems since then. 3 days ago my screen went blank. I don't what the cause is or how it happened. I been trying all kinds of methods that could fix a black screen except disassembling and replace what could be the flex cable. I phone turns on and vibrates as if it was booting. luckly at some point in my experiments the screen actually turned on as if nothing was wrong with it. then all of a sudden the screen goes black and white and its turns of as it burned or something.. weird effect when it goes to Normal > goes black and whit with less detail > weird transition > black. if you guys have this same problem and have found an easy fix please tell me. thanks

jagdish reddy

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
using go-launcher app you can solve this problem
------------------------------------------------------------------
1.download the go launcher app to your pc (DepositFiles)
2.transfer the file to your mobile via-bluetooth (pc should already paired with mobile)
3.in the notification bar allow bluetoooth access to download the file to your mobile
4.after download completes open the downloaded file and install it
5.know your phone is back to normal

Vinay Kotian

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The problem here is with the strip of the phone. The strip of your phone has spoiled or is damaged. You will have to get it replaced or changed. This is the solution to the problem, as I was to facing the same. I got it inspected in the service center and got the strip replaced with a new. The screen had absolutely no problem. Now my phone (Sony Ericsson Experia Pro (mki16) ) is working absolutely fine.

Thanks and Regards,
Vinay

Rama Gopaul

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with mine, just hope it is not fried

same phone i have, so it cu be that i hope
The problem here is with the strip of the phone. The strip of your phone has spoiled or is damaged. You will have to get it replaced or changed. This is the solution to the problem, as I was to facing the same. I got it inspected in the service center and got the strip replaced with a new. The screen had absolutely no problem. Now my phone (Sony Ericsson Experia Pro (mki16) ) is working absolutely fine.

Thanks and Regards,
Vinay

Last edited by a moderator:

Abhilash Satpathy

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
thank you very much,I had the same problem with my xolo andriod phone and your soluion helped me.I didnt see three android logos but just one showing that my phone was installing updates,

amitd44

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
After hard reset (User date delete/Factory reset) My XOLO Black (2 GB RAM) screen goes to black. but, Charger light also glowing as green and as red when charging. (ROM Installed - HIVE Developers ROM - V 2). Many times I tried to Flash Xolo Black Official Firmware through their Instructions. When I trying to flash The ROM, Qfil flash tool showing "No Port Available". for your better information I attached Screenshot. any solution for recover the black/blank screen? any one can help me pls.? I also tried to fastboot / recovery flash. but, there was shows as error. "Device is offline or waiting for device"
. Screenshot (46).png Screenshot (54).png

amitd44

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
After hard reset (User date delete/Factory reset) My XOLO Black (2 GB RAM) screen goes to black. but, Charger light also glowing as green and as red when charging. (ROM Installed - HIVE Developers ROM - V 2). Many times I tried to Flash Xolo Black Official Firmware through their Instructions. When I trying to flash The ROM, Qfil flash tool showing "No Port Available". for your better information I attached Screenshot. any solution for recover the black/blank screen? any one can help me pls.? I also tried to fastboot / recovery flash. but, there was shows as error. "Device is offline or waiting for device"
. View attachment 238023 View attachment 238024

I am still waiting for help. I haven't received any help till now. Pls. help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am still waiting for help. I haven't received any help till now. Pls. help.

This is because you're posting in a very old thread (from 2011) about a very old phone (the myTouch 3G Slide), which isn't even the phone that you have. I suggest you create a new thread with your question in the General Help or Ask A Question forum. You'll have a better chance of getting a helpful answer there. Good luck!

lollio22

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
So if it was the condesation that has brought on the black/blank(blue) screen, what needs to be purchased and replaced so the screen can work again? Is there somewhere in the phone that can check if the cable is in tight? Could that be a problem (android phone: ElephoneP9000) Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox