Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default question about rooting

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this but how do you root a mytouch 4G? I trust you guys more than Google.

ROM
    GorillaSense v2.2.4

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong place for this but how do you root a mytouch 4G? I trust you guys more than Google.
    How to root a MT4G...
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MyTouch 420G View Post
    Thanks for the link. Also reference these:

Guide to permaroot, s=off AND s=on!!!!! - xda-developers

TRUE PermaRoot and the ULTIMATE S=Off!!! Check this out even if you're rooted!!! - xda-developers

[GUIDE] How to s= off with "su" and how to flash rom---[Noob's] - xda-developers

Unfortunately the best I can do is point to these threads. I followed the steps in the second link and it got me where I needed to be.

Hope this helps (and yes I know one of these was already linked in the linked thread).
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I didn't create this thread lol.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nope I did. Moved your posts out of the other thread so you'd get more help.

Sent from my myTouch 4G
    Thanked by:

ROM
    GorillaSense v2.2.4

Yes you did. I saw you. I saw you with my own two eyes. lol
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mytouch 420g View Post
    yes you did. I saw you. I saw you with my own two eyes. Lol
    hahahahaha!!!!!!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok I cheated lol. I had my buddy root my phone. The program is called VISIONary. I'm really interested in themes. How do those work with a rooted phone?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Gr8gorilla has a couple of themes posted here. Did it give you permaroot with S-OFF and the ENG bootloader?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Actually the rooting screwed my phone up so last night I had to reset it. I hit unroot and restarted it and gmail wouldn't load along with my clock widget. I don't need a rooted phone the more I think of it. I'm very pleased. Maybe someday i'll feel more comfortable and do it myself. Thanks for all the input.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Sometimes threads on XDA aren't as clear as they should be. Also you do have the OTA installed, right? I tried to root before I had the OTA and it wouldn't work because it only works if you have the OTA already installed.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Sometimes threads on XDA aren't as clear as they should be. Also you do have the OTA installed, right? I tried to root before I had the OTA and it wouldn't work because it only works if you have the OTA already installed.
    Are you referring to the firmware update? Yes I have that and after I reset the phone it was still there. Version 1.17 I think? The phone last night was acting up not loading like everything after I hit unroot. I wanted to see if it was that easy to unroot it incase I had to use the warranty. Gonna have a little chat with my buddy lol.

I would maybe root again in the future if I could download a program to the computer then drag it onto the SD and take it from there. Not edit all these files and command prompt settings. I also used titanium backup and I had to manually backup every single app on the phone. You would think there would be a backup button that backs up everything. I don't know but I'm good for now. Will miss taking screenshots.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unfortunately you will probably always have to use ADB to root this phone permanently because of the way it's locked down from HTC.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always Flashing Who Knows

ok i have a quick question i have just got the mytouch 4g and tried the perm-root i thought i followed the directions to a t but nope i had not noticed it was for the phones with the ota thinking i just got the phone that i would have been up to date but im on 2.2 and didnt know that there was a 2.2.1 ota update out. so i followed everything got temp root and put gfree file in the data/local spot and then it says to reboot to check and see if your hboot is changed to 0.86.0000 and mine did and my s-off is off so i go back and try su in terminal and i get permitions denied. what should i do the directions where for the people that have 2.2.1 and i have 2.2 and it halfway got stuff where is should be but im stumped and dont know where to get the full instructions on how to start from stock or if im good and just need to get root please help thanks.