Nexus 10 4.2.2 update error

Matthew Zammit

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
OK first of all sorry for posting a new thread but this is very important. I just received the update ota but I still can't install it. Why? Here's what's happening:
1. The update downloads and asks me to reboot and install
2. It reboots and starts installing
3. At about 1/4 of the install metre the nexus 10 sort of crashes and shows me an android with a red exclamation mark while saying Error in the bottom.
If I reboot it returns to the same exclation mark and the only way for me to boot it well is to start pressing the power button repeatedly until I see the X logo. Also recovery mode seems to have a problem after the update. This is what happens:
1. Boot it in recovery mode (or whatever it's called) by holding the power button and the volume up and down at the same time.
2. Choose recovery boot from those 4 options you have.
3. It shows no command instead of opening recovery mode like it used to.

Any help would be appreciated. Sry for my bad English.

Imp. things to note :
1. My nexus 10 is rooted.
2. I can use it fine its just that I can't update.
3. I've tried updating it for three times and always the same result.

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error? I have the same error message on both my galaxy nexus and nexus 7. Both of them are rooted but are running stock android and happily updated from 4.2 to 4.2.1.

matthewdavisnelson

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm encountering the same issue, too, on my Nexus 7. I even unrooted and relocked my device to ensure that it wasn't an issue with the ROM that I was using.

The update start to run and then I see the Android lying on its back with a red exclamation mark and the word "ERROR". If I wait a few moments, my device reboots and I can resume using it.

matthewdavisnelson

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm encountering the same issue, too, on my Nexus 7. I even unrooted and relocked my device to ensure that it wasn't an issue with the ROM that I was using.

The update start to run and then I see the Android lying on its back with a red exclamation mark and the word "ERROR". If I wait a few moments, my device reboots and I can resume using it.

I figured out one manner in which for "force" the update. My method assumes that you understand how to use Nexus Root Toolkit (a.k.a., NRT), which can be downloaded from here.
  1. Visit https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and dowloaded the factory image for my "nakasi" (Wi-Fi only) Nexus 7. The file's name is "nakasi-jdq39-factory-c317339e.tgz". The file is almost 300MB: be patient while it downloads.
  2. Start NRT. I used NRT v1.6.2, which is currently available for downloading and installation via Wug Fresh's website.
  3. Select the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button. Since I had already unlocked/rooted my Nexus 7, I had already confirmed that Android Debugging Bridge, etc., was working. If you haven't used NRT before, you'll most likely want to select the "Full Driver Installation Guide - Automatic + Manual" button to ensure that your computer can communicate with your Nexus 7, thus allowing you to push files to the Nexus 7 and remotely control it.
  4. Once you select the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button, NRT will ask which factory image you wish to use to unroot your Nexus 7. In the first frameset are two radio buttons: the first is labeled "Other/Browse"; the second enables a drop-down list box that contains a series of factory images. Select the first radio button, "Other/Browser".
  5. In the second frameset are three radio buttons: the first should be disabled and is labeled "Automatically download..."; the second is labeled "I downloaded a factory image..."; the third is labeled "I did this already". Select the second radio button (the first one that is not disabled), "I downloaded a factory image myself that I would like to use instead."
  6. Select the "OK" button. NRT will ask that you specify which factory image to use. Find the factory image that you downloaded -- named "nakasi-jdq39-factory-c317339e.tgz" -- and select the "Open" button.
  7. NRT will display the md5 hash for the factory image that you specified in the previous step. The md5 has should read "b869c77ba7e2929b3ca00804bf64b945", which should match the md5 hash on the Web page from which you downloaded the factory image, https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images.
  8. After a brief pause, NRT should confirm that your factory images md5 hash is valid and prompt you to continue.
  9. Simply follow the remaining steps that NRT give you. The factory image containing Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 will be pushed to your Nexus 7 and the tablet will be unrooted in order to "install" the image on the tablet.
  10. Once Android 4.2.2 is installed successfully, you can use the "Root" button in NRT to re-root your Nexus 7, install TWRP, and return your tablet to a fully rooted state.
I hope these instructions help!

dberthia

May 1, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind losing your data, your best bet is to flash the newly released 4.2.2 stock image. I used the Nexus 10 Toolkit to do this.

Image:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Toolkit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2001868

Basically:
- Run the toolkit, update to latest version if necessary
- Stick image file in appropriate directory
- Select option to flash factory image

More instructions on installing and using the toolkit can be found in the thread above.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It is generally a custom recovery which will cause this (installing custom recovery is often part of the root process).

If you are rooted and have custom recovery installed, one very easy way to update your device is to just flash a rooted image of the update.

I installed this over the weekend with no issues at all: [ROM][Factory Image][4.2.2] Mantaray -::- Odex, Deodex, Rooted -::- teshxx (02/14/13) - xda-developers

I just dirty flashed (i.e. did not wipe data/factory reset) over my existing stock rooted OS and it worked great. If you're running a custom ROM and not the stock OS, you *may* want to do a wipe first, but otherwise I think you'll be OK.

You could, alternatively, unroot and restore the stock recovery partition to install the update, but I personally think this is much easier, plus you won't lose root.

aliask

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I flashed with stock 4.2.2 and recovered with titanium backup but 2 days after the flash a notification showed that there's avalible update to 4.2.2. and I pressed install. The phone restart's and shows the same error.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys I flashed with stock 4.2.2 and recovered with titanium backup but 2 days after the flash a notification showed that there's avalible update to 4.2.2. and I pressed install. The phone restart's and shows the same error.

Did you check "about tablet" to verify that you are, in fact, running 4.2.2? If so, I'd just ignore the notification, although it's strange you'd still be receiving it.

Probably a service you can disable somewhere if it's just a matter of killing the notification for update check...anyone?

Will Brown

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Rooted N7 with stock recovery and I am getting the same error. About 25% into the update process it fails and says ERROR!, then reboots into 4.2.1. Tried several times over the last couple of days.