lost root when updating to JDQ39

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm running stock android on an unlocked N10. I had root up until I manually updated to JDQ39. To get it back, do I just boot into recovery and flash cwm-supersu-v0.98.zip from the SD Card?

I'm no rooting expert and usually just follow start to finish guides when I get a new device. When updates come is when I sometimes run into issues.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Jason Grant

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone verify this is a successful solution for the nexus 10 or if there are any nuances in doing this for the N10? My concern is more from ignorance and a previous close call. Thanks in advance!

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't verify the link, I didn't use it. It sounds nice, but with a nexus I kinda feel like I have to do it myself. XD

Anyway, I was also stock, rooted, and unlocked. The OTA overwrote my recovery (wiped it) and broke root. To fix it, I just simply re flashed the recovery, and then reinstalled the superuser package from recovery. In case you don't remember:
1. Download recovery ( I use TWRP)
2. Boot to bootloader (shut off and then hold power and both volume keys)
3. open terminal and type:
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
4. Use volume keys to boot to recovery
5. Install superuser (I still had cwm-supersu-v0.98.zip on my sdcard, so I installed that)
6. Reboot system, open play store, and update the SuperSU app
7. Open the app and let it update the binary

Heads up though - I just did this and it worked (obviously) to fix my recovery and root, but the new ADB security method doesn't seem to work. If you try to do "adb devices" it will show the tablet as offline. Currently looking around and I've seen a few people say its because the bootloader is unlocked or the tablet is already rooted so that bypasses the security, but haven't yet found a way to force the prompt to enable adb access. =/

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't verify the link, I didn't use it. It sounds nice, but with a nexus I kinda feel like I have to do it myself. XD

Anyway, I was also stock, rooted, and unlocked. The OTA overwrote my recovery (wiped it) and broke root. To fix it, I just simply re flashed the recovery, and then reinstalled the superuser package from recovery. In case you don't remember:
1. Download recovery ( I use TWRP)
2. Boot to bootloader (shut off and then hold power and both volume keys)
3. open terminal and type:
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
4. Use volume keys to boot to recovery
5. Install superuser (I still had cwm-supersu-v0.98.zip on my sdcard, so I installed that)
6. Reboot system, open play store, and update the SuperSU app
7. Open the app and let it update the binary

Heads up though - I just did this and it worked (obviously) to fix my recovery and root, but the new ADB security method doesn't seem to work. If you try to do "adb devices" it will show the tablet as offline. Currently looking around and I've seen a few people say its because the bootloader is unlocked or the tablet is already rooted so that bypasses the security, but haven't yet found a way to force the prompt to enable adb access. =/

I'm a noob when it comes to all things root. But I did just root my 4.2.2. It had 4.2.2 on it, I factory wiped & reset, then followed an XDA poster's instructions that were very similar to yours & it worked great. Then I tested ADB from the USB cable and it was still working good. Not sure this is super interesting to you - but just incase someone read this and wondered if the ADB problem was caused exclusively by root+4.2.2 it would appear it is not. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci