What is the difference between unlocked and rooted?

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so as I understand it....

Unlocking the phone allows the privilidged commands to work. I assume it changes some permissions somewhere. But why does it wipe everything out?

Rooting the phone is what happens when you start actually using privved commands such as su.

Does that make sense?

Alan

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so as I understand it....

Unlocking the phone allows the privilidged commands to work. I assume it changes some permissions somewhere. But why does it wipe everything out?

Rooting the phone is what happens when you start actually using privved commands such as su.

Does that make sense?

Alan

in simpliest terms,
Rooting gives you superuser/adminstrative permission, you can make simply changes to the Operating system that you did not have permission to change before.

Unlocking your Bootloader allows you to put custom operating sytems on your device.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
in simpliest terms,
Rooting gives you superuser/adminstrative permission, you can make simply changes to the Operating system that you did not have permission to change before.

Unlocking your Bootloader allows you to put custom operating sytems on your device.

Thats great - thanks.

OK, so why does unlocking wipe everything? What is it ACTUALLY doing?

Alan

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thats great - thanks.

OK, so why does unlocking wipe everything? What is it ACTUALLY doing?

Alan

I'm not sure why you have to wipe. Maybe the unlocking process changes permissions on all your data and is easier to just wipe and start over during this process. But if the directions say to wipe its best to follow them

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The instructions say the the device will be wiped - it's not something we have to do - it just happens.

Alan

It is wiped based on a command you put in during the unlocking process. I think fastboot -w (or something to that effect) unless we are looking at different methods

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
From this forum http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...e-lock-google-nexus-10-bootloader-mac-pc.html

6. After you have got the ID just type(without qoutes) "fastboot oem unlock" in your command window.

7. Look to your tablet, where you'll have to verify the process. Remember that there's no way to undo the data loss that will happen the instant you say "Yes".

Ah ok well either way, you don't really have a choice in the matter. You know probably knows the answer Jerry. Lets quote him to get his attention.

It also makes me sad that Samsung fanbois are worse than Apple fanbois ever have been. None of the people making these phones love you. You are just a number to them, a filthy meat-sack that carries a wallet. Especially you Droidxcon.
#hate-them-all.

Jerry why does wiping data need to be done during bootloader unlock

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device as a security measure. If you lost your screen-lock protected device and someone found it, all they would have to do is unlock the bootloader and they could extract all of your sensitive data from it... so the data wipe is there to protect you from that ever happening since it ensures that if someone tries to hack into your locked device they will have to wipe all your information off of it first.

:)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device as a security measure. If you lost your screen-lock protected device and someone found it, all they would have to do is unlock the bootloader and they could extract all of your sensitive data from it... so the data wipe is there to protect you from that ever happening since it ensures that if someone tries to hack into your locked device they will have to wipe all your information off of it first.

:)

Thanks so much, that makes sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21