Nexus 10 stuck with X on screen - solution.

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
What a scare I had with our new Nexus 10!
I got my wife a new Nexus 10 to replace her broken iPad. The first thing I did was used Nexus Root Kit to unlock and root. Here's where things went wrong. For some reason after unlocking, the N10 never booted up again. It displayed the Google boot X and just sat there in a boot loop. It did not go as far as to recognize the ADB drivers on my computer so there was no way of talking to it again. I looked all over the net and kept reading instructions about holding the power button and volume up or volume down to get to the fastboot screen on the N10. All I ever got was the screen that had a red Start and then at the bottom it said "downloading, do not disconnect". What a great way to introduce someone to a new product!
Here is what I was doing wrong. People's help instructions were not clear. You must start it up by holding the power and holding both the volume up and down buttons at the same time! They are two switches, not a rocker switch! To get to the wipe and reboot screen you have to tap both the switches multiple times. Once there you can wipe and do a factory restore. This will let you get back into the tablet to enable the USB debugging. Note that my tablet was unlocked at this time and ready to be rooted.
I hope this saves somebody else the 6 hours I spent trying to read between the lines of online instructions. We are now a happy "N" family! I have a N4, a N7 and my wife has a N10. All are unlocked and rooted.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the "N" family. I don't have an N10 (don't need, couldn't justify the cost), but I do have my Galaxy Nexus and an N7. The Gnex has been rooted more times then I can count, but for now both Gnex and N7 are unlocked/rooted. Just haven't found a need for a ROM with 4.2.2

dravoid

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. I was able to get to the recovery mode and I now have an unlocked N10 and would like to root. Can you let me know how to proceed? I have a MAC.
Many thanks

commandrix

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I am going through this now with my N10 -- stupid update screwed up my whole Nexus. Thanks for the tip, but what do I do if I go into the recovery mode and it just gives me a fallen over Android with "No Command?".