Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what to do when rooted

I looked at a lot of sites look for ways to improve my nexus sense I just rooted it, other then then simple things what are some cool apps/things you can add to a rooted nexus 10? I'm stuck and Idk what to do to it anymore. What are some of the things you did?

Default Re: what to do when rooted

Most common things are installing and running a custom ROM/kernels. This gives you many options and customizations depending on the custom ROM over what vanilla Android offers.

Apps, you can use apps like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root to save apps/data in the event something goes wrong you can restore these.

There is using root related apps to provide wireless tethering for free.

Use of more advanced file manager apps like ES File Explorer.

App like ROM Toolbox which has tons of customization options like changing your boot up animation, fonts, sounds, performance enhancements, etc.

Being able to make a Nandroid Backup with CWM or TWRP recovery so again, in the event of something going wrong you have an exact working image of everything to restore to your device.

Those are many of the most common things...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah I already have titatium backup and ES file explorer, I'll check into those other one as well. Thanks for the fast reply!

No problem, have fun exploring.
    Paul

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I know I sound like a noob but this is the first time I rooted an android device, what are custom ROM kernals and what ones would you recommend?

Custom ROMS are customized/unofficially supported versions of the Android OS built by independent ROM developers. Most are very safe, fun and enjoying to use. Most popular are Cyanogen Mod & AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) but there are dozens more of smaller independent ROMs out there. Kernels is the main link between your device and the OS. Custom kernels when installed can improve battery life, allow you to adjust the speed of the processor (under clocking, under volting, overclocking) along with various other tweaks.

Me personally, I'm a huge fan of AOKP for the wide selection of user selectable features to tweak your device. Everything from battery meter to moving and removing your clock in the status bar to changing colors of these things and much much more...
    Paul

Thanked by:
    N4warhead and Paul1600 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Custom ROMS are customized/unofficially supported versions of the Android OS built by independent ROM developers. Most are very safe, fun and enjoying to use. Most popular are Cyanogen Mod & AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) but there are dozens more of smaller independent ROMs out there. Kernels is the main link between your device and the OS. Custom kernels when installed can improve battery life, allow you to adjust the speed of the processor (under clocking, under volting, overclocking) along with various other tweaks.

Me personally, I'm a huge fan of AOKP for the wide selection of user selectable features to tweak your device. Everything from battery meter to moving and removing your clock in the status bar to changing colors of these things and much much more...
    I have another noob question. I was looking up how to install the rom like this Guide to Update Nexus 10 to AOKP Build 2 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean it says to transfer files to sdcard, wipe data and then install those files. If I do that doesn't the files I transfer also get whiped? Is there a better tutorial for noobs like me? Will I have to reroot after whipping data? Sorry for any inconvenience.

No when you do a wipe from within CWM all you will be doing is a DATA wipe/factory reset which just clears out things at the /system/ level of the filesystem. It doesn't touch the /sdcard/ " internal storage" portion of your Nexus device.
    Paul

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by N4warhead View Post
    I looked at a lot of sites look for ways to improve my nexus sense I just rooted it, other then then simple things what are some cool apps/things you can add to a rooted nexus 10? I'm stuck and Idk what to do to it anymore. What are some of the things you did?
    Huge root option for me on the N10 is sideloading apps that you normally can't get for this device.
    The aosp stock browser (can't stand chrome) and flash both work great for me as well as a hacked version of pandora.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Huge root option for me on the N10 is sideloading apps that you normally can't get for this device.
    The aosp stock browser (can't stand chrome) and flash both work great for me as well as a hacked version of pandora.
    Yeah I get that but I could side load apps with out rooting, I know because I had to with XBMC sense it's currently not available for nexus 10.

I understand the this tablet is made my Samsung for Google .... so if I root the N10 ... could I use Samsung link with my Galaxy S3?

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Post Re: what to do when rooted

if you are looking for what to do after rooting your Android device here is an article that provides this 2 Things you should do before/after Rooting your Android Device | aspiredtech

Installing an anti virus app after rooting is bloody redundant & pointless imo.