Head up on N10 4.4 update

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
So I upgraded my wife's N10 to 4.4 yesterday via Nexus Rootkit.
I backed up all the apps and data using their program and proceeded.
All went we until we tried to run the apps.
First and most important: We lost all the email in the stock email program as it is totally different now and does not support folders. Big problem!
Second: Facebook not longer displayed any notifications in the notification bar. Uninstall and reinstall FB fixed this.
Third: All notification lights for FB stopped working.

Okay so I am in the dog house now. Maybe waiting for the OTA would have been better.
Maybe going back to 4.3.3 is the final solution.

Good luck!

pbuilder

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Could you please advise how did you go back to 4.3.3 from 4.4?
I'm getting an error of "unfortenately the com.android.systemui has stopped" after upgrading from 4.3.3 to 4.4 on my Nexus 4 and I can't operate the device ever since.
Every time I press Ok on the message, it keeps appearing back.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Exhack

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes the Kit Kat is not so sweet!
1) my Nexus 10 now insists on using Google's (inferior) keyboard rather than Swiftkey!
2) I now cannot get BBC TV to stream. The root problem is that Chrome and Flash Player don't work together. So I did a work around using the Netscape browser.and a plug-in which was fine. But KK won't let me activate the plug in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do I go back to 4.3??? Please!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So I upgraded my wife's N10 to 4.4 yesterday via Nexus Rootkit.
I backed up all the apps and data using their program and proceeded.
All went we until we tried to run the apps.
First and most important: We lost all the email in the stock email program as it is totally different now and does not support folders. Big problem!
Second: Facebook not longer displayed any notifications in the notification bar. Uninstall and reinstall FB fixed this.
Third: All notification lights for FB stopped working.

Okay so I am in the dog house now. Maybe waiting for the OTA would have been better.
Maybe going back to 4.3.3 is the final solution.

Good luck!

I've heard that Exchange email (if that is what you are using) is really broken with 4.4 ... if that's what you're experiencing, I'm not sure it would make a difference whether you manually updated or did OTA.

For what it's worth (and help get you out of the doghouse), in most cases manual updates are MUCH more reliable than OTAs, though yes, sometimes you do have uninstall/reinstall certain apps to get them working right, regardless of which method you use.

Hi,
Could you please advise how did you go back to 4.3.3 from 4.4?
I'm getting an error of "unfortenately the com.android.systemui has stopped" after upgrading from 4.3.3 to 4.4 on my Nexus 4 and I can't operate the device ever since.
Every time I press Ok on the message, it keeps appearing back.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

That doesn't sound like a normal issue. Did you try doing a factory reset? That will often clear up errors/issues like that after updates.

Yes the Kit Kat is not so sweet!
1) my Nexus 10 now insists on using Google's (inferior) keyboard rather than Swiftkey!
2) I now cannot get BBC TV to stream. The root problem is that Chrome and Flash Player don't work together. So I did a work around using the Netscape browser.and a plug-in which was fine. But KK won't let me activate the plug in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do I go back to 4.3??? Please!

1. Yeah, it bugs me that every time swiftkey releases an update, I have to go in and make that my default keyboard again. It works fine after that, but once the swiftkey app is updated again, it resets back to Google keyboard. Annoyance.

2. Apparently with 4.4 Flash is now completely broken. It was probably only a matter of time. (Does BBC TV have an app that can be used instead of trying to stream via the browser?)
Anyway, on the 2nd page of that thread, there is a supposed workaround for getting Flash to work...I have NOT tried this, so I can't comment on whether it works or not (at your own risk):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...date-work-around-available-2.html#post3282963

How did you go back to 4.3, please?

You can't "uninstall" Android OS updates to revert back. If you wanted to go back to 4.3, you'll most likely have to use a factory image. Here's a pretty decent guide on how to do that:
Android 4.4 KitKat Factory Images And Binaries Are Up For Nexus 4, All Variants Of Nexus 7 (2012 And 2013), And Nexus 10 [Flashing Instructions]

There are also some "homemade toolkits" out there that can help automate the process, but I can't speak to those either as I've always just done it manually.

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
I went back to 4.3 using Nexus Root Toolkit. Since then my wife reinstalled 4.4.0 OTA and I rooted it using NRT. Seems to work fine other than they sure wrecked the stock email app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech